Roon Search Overhauled [2022-12] Update

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Local library tracks not found in search, streaming version is visible

Can you paste a link to the Qobuz playlist of the Top100 albums here?

1 Like

Yes, I would be interested as well but I think it is paid for content:

1 Like

If @Eddie_F has compiled a playlist in Qobuz we don’t need access to the paid article anyway. Let’s keep fingers crossed, but from what I read he has successfully searched in Roon and was able to compile the list.

2 Likes

I have a search related issue. When I try to search for rome gareth which I know exists in qobuz I get zero hits. However, if I add rome gareth emery (add the surname of the artist) I see the result. I see no reason that I should not get any hit at all when using fewer search terms.

@Markus_Hubner I would love to and my instinct would be to share it, but this year’s list is shared as paid contento so I would not be comfortable sharing it publicly.
On the other hand, all the lists up to 2020 are publicly available at Ted Gioia so hopwfully that’s enough interesting music for a while!

@brian I’ve just read your post and tested the new search feature. It is improved but…

Why can we not accurately search for all albums on a particular label?

I searched for “Blue Note.” For the first time it brought up Blue Note albums that are not in my library. So far so good.

But it did not bring up hundreds of other Blue Note albums, both those in my library and, more importantly, those that are not.

I know how to find all Blue Note albums in my library. I want to be able to find ALL Blue Note albums available through Roon. I also want to perform other similar searches of other labels.

Why is that still not possible?

1 Like

You can’t and never have been able to Search for labels outside of your local library. Not sure they give that info in the api to search for. It will just match titles or artists that have that query in them.

1 Like

Hi Geoff,

My guess is that while it might be valuable for some labels like ECM or Blue Note; it is beyond useless for labels like Columbia, Warner Brothers, RCA, etc, due to the sheer crushing number of results returned.

Perhaps. Years ago when I used Rdio the feature was available and I used it productively. I’m no programmer, but there must be some way to do this even if the total number of album results is limited to 500 or 1,000. This is a suggestion I made here years ago and Roon’s response was they were working on the best way to do it, not that it couldn’t be done.

@CrystalGipsy if you read my post I acknowledged that is has not been possible. However the search I just did, did bring up some results outside of my library, which I consider a step forward.

Right. But I’d wager it’s not leveraging the structured data (what label this is on) which is what you really want… it’s leveraging some unstructured data (either review, or perhaps search is now traversing label treated as text). Maybe I’m wrong. I want what you want. And frankly if they do get search structured correctly (which this post from Brian way up above means that they are headed in the right direction!!) then you should theoretically be able to search for a string like Ornette label:blue, though whether or not they will choose to expose it that way is an absolutely open question. I don’t think whether it’s a bad experience to search for “all albums on Warner brothers” is something that’s worth worrying about, it’s more in what contexts it gets presented. They are moving closer to where, if desired, this would be possible. But that absolutely doesn’t mean it’ll be tomorrow or the next week. They just dredged the river which means they can build the supports which means they can lay the roadbed. But that dredging (it’s actually far sexier than that) is a big big big deal.

Thanks. You obviously know much more about the technical side of this than I do. But I find this part of your response odd:

I’m quite certain I did not suggest it would be. I simply noted the proposal to enable search by label was made some years ago.

Oh gosh, not saying you said it would be. I’m just dotting my i’s and x’ing my t’s. I have no way of knowing how big their team is nor how quickly they want to/are moving in any direction. I’m just speculating. I’ve had folks here say things like “But Johnny O says it’s possible now, so why isn’t it so???” even if they weren’t the one on the conversation, so I CYA to reduce the chance that team Roon comes to hate me.

1 Like

@brian, @zenit , search continues to offer maddening and perplexing results.

Searching on ‘Horace Silver’ bring me to his page.

In the section of ‘Albums in my library’ I see that I have a local copy of ‘Blowing the Blues Away’ -

The consequent screen shows that there is 1 library version and three Qobuz versions.

If, from the very same artist page, I select ‘Discography’, I get -

The consequent screen only shows the 3 Qobuz versions -

It’s results like this that drive people crazy.

1 Like

Interesting. I just tried Blue Note and the only label results were two albums on Qobuz I saved to my library, nothing outside my library.

The list of albums in the search results did show a bunch of Blue Note albums not in my library, but they all included “Blue Note” in the album title.

I got boatloads of artist, albums, and tracks.

What do you see in the search results if you scroll down to “Labels” and select that?

I saw two. I’ll do it again.

I find it extremely frustrating that I cannot sort categorized search results.

Example: searching “Jingle Bell Rock” and navigating to track results. That’s as far as I can specify. I can’t sort by date, artist, album etc. Perhaps a more complicated search method could be taken to achieve this… but why can’t search results (say, a result on the track category) be listed with categories along the top, like when searching in Finder (MacOS) or Explorer (Windows)? Being able to select “release date” or “artist” at the top to filter my category results would make a huge difference.

I’m guessing selecting either of those “Labels results” will just show you albums that you added to your library.