Roon Server and iTunes library both on Synology, can't import iTunes Library

Hi guys,

I reviewed both XML files and they appear to have the same issue, which @Boris_Pruessmann seems to have suspected as well.

In both cases, Roon’s Core is running on one machine, and iTunes is running on a different one (like, say, @Sheung_Chi_Kwan’s Macbook Pro). The paths in the XML tell iTunes how to find the files on the Synology. For example:

///Volumes/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Media/Music/Compilations/Greatest%20Hits%20Of%20The%2080's/1-02%20More%20Than%20I%20Can%20Say.mp3

This path works from the Macbook Pro, but when Roon is running on the NAS, unfortunately it’s not a path that Roon can resolve.

On a Synology device, the path to your music is going to be something like /volumeX/Music/iTunes/ITunesMedia, so this is not going to work as is. You might be able to make a copy of the XML and modify it to include updated paths that Roon can resolve, but this isn’t something we’ve tested or can make claims about.

We are investigating some possible changes to our iTunes functionality. I don’t have a firm timeline on that work, but it would be great to know more about your goals here – are you looking for a one shot import of your iTunes playlists? Ongoing syncing of your iTunes playlists to Roon? Is there other software that’s done this better in the past we can look at, or were you just using iTunes until now, and now want to migrate over to Roon?

If you can let me know more about what you’re looking for, we can work to get the right functionality built. This feature was originally built so that a Roon Core could actively monitor an iTunes library on the same machine, on an ongoing basis. Before we make any more changes to this functionality, I want to make sure I understand what you guys are looking for.

Sorry I don’t have something more immediate to offer here guys – unfortunately in many cases when running your Core on a NAS, you will not be able to utilize Roon’s iTunes Watching feature unless you edit the XML to reference paths Roon can resolve.

Thanks in advance for your feedback on the questions above, guys.

1 Like