Roon server crashes when editing watched files

Hi there i’ve noticed some weird behavior on roon server if you are editing files in windows explorer. In my example I have a nas that doesn’t handle special characters well (colons and Question marks mostly) for these files they show flac files like “D8255F~D”.

I’ve done some stuff on the NAS to identify the common culprits and remove them systematically, but I have also been searching a log of all tildes in the file system to sort them out. The flac files come through as no file extension so roon can’t handle them. In this scenario, i will go into window explorer, add the flac file extension to the file, then rename the file from it’s tags in MP3 tag.

Infrequently, but a couple of times, when I have added this extension the roon server has crashed. It’s not a biggy, and probably a real corner case, but seems like a bug to me with the watched folders.

Hi Matthew,

It would be pretty difficult to nail down exactly what is going on here as you are describing some extensive changes to file names, extensions etc. Roon was designed to watch for tag edits and other “normal” music management tasks like additions, deletions etc.

If I were you, I would probably disable my watch folder before doing any big file changes like that. Then let Roon back into the folder when you have straightened out what you need.

To be honest I’m not too bothered about it crashing for me. I accept that I am doing some fundamental changes and in the majority of cases Roon, picks up the changes and identifies the “New” album.

I wondered if the devs might want to look into it as an error condition that could happen. I wouldn’t be surprised if this can also happen for re-naming files, which would be a lot more common. As it is pretty rare(2 times in one night, I edited maybe 75 files) I suspect this happens when you are editing he filename/extension while roon is scanning that file.

Ok… Cool. If it was something occurring everyday and interrupting play back etc then I know the team would want to dig deeper.
Big file changes and edits tend to be more one time things so hopefully you won’t see much trouble.

I agree, but if I was a dev, I’m not sure I would want anything to cause to core just to crash.

Hi @Matthew_Clegg ----- Thank you for the feedback and the input. I’d like to gather some more information from you concerning this issue you are encountering.

Can you please first, in detail, describe your current setup. The more information we have the easier it will be for us to investigate.

Can you also please confirm the steps you took to discover this issue? We would like to try and replicate in house. Thanks!


Hi @Eric

•what version of Roon you are running (Settings > About; If you’re running Windows, please let us know whether you’re running 32bit or 64 bit)

I’m on Roon version 1.2. Build 154 stable 64 bit

•What operating system you are running (Windows 7; OSX 10.9; etc)

Windows 10

•Basic information about the device you’re using (MacBook Pro 2011 w 4gb of RAM; HP Envy laptop w i7; etc).

The core runs on a Lenovo Ideacentre all in one with an i7 CPU 8GB ram

•Describe where your music is stored – this includes hard drive description and interface type (USB, Firewire, etc. If you are using a NAS or any other kind of network storage, be sure to include the information requested in the Network section below)

My music is stored on a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (v1)

•Let us know your collection size (approximate number of tracks)

I have approx 19000 including Tidal Tracks

The specific issue occured as I was renaming some files. The NAS/windows handles any filenames with special characters (?, : etc) by turning them into 8.3 filenames.

One way I have found to fix these is to rename the file to include a flac extension then use MP3tag to do a tags to filenames conversion, which strips the special characters.

When I noticed the core crashing. I was using my laptop as a remote and playing through a raspberry pi as an end point. I edited the file extension and the core crashed.

This doesn’t happen every time, maybe 1 in 20 or so. Happy to provide any logs you may need.


This is the last line from the log that night

SCREEN0 Name: \.\DISPLAY1 (primary)SCREEN0 Bounds: 0,0 3840x2160

Exception Source: mscorlib
Exception Type: System.ArgumentException
Exception Target Site: Path.CheckInvalidPathChars
Exception Message: Illegal characters in path.
Exception Data: none

–[ Stack Trace ]------------
System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)
mscorlib.dll, IL 38, N 13750332
System.IO.Path.GetRootLength(String path)
mscorlib.dll, IL 7, N 25
System.IO.Path.GetPathRoot(String path)
mscorlib.dll, IL 14, N 62
System.dll, IL 0, N 60
Sooloos.DirectoryWatcher.ev_FileRenamed(Object sender, RenamedEventArgs e)
RoonApp.DLL, IL 49, N 77
System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.OnRenamed(RenamedEventArgs e)
System.dll, IL 67, N 183
System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.CompletionStatusChanged(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* overlappedPointer)
System.dll, IL 248, N 509
System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)
mscorlib.dll, IL 22, N 146

@Matthew_Clegg ----- Thank you for the feedback and my apologies for the slow response. I’d like to gather some logs from you, so our developers can take a closer look into this issue. I will be contacting you shortly via PM with instructions. Thanks!