Roon server crashing very often

Moved it to Roon Build 913 feedback thread. Have you been experiencing any issues recently(since Build 913)?

Hey @Gregor_Pompe,

Can you tell me if you see an activity spinner in the top right hand corner of Roon when using your Roon Remote on your Mac?

From checking you logs there seems to be a lot of analysis going on. Can you go to Settings>Library and tell me what you have as settings for Background audio analysis speed and On-demand audio analysis speed?

Hello, thanx for your reply.

I do not see rght hand spinner. Only when adding albums.

About the settings:

background audio analysis speed is on Throttled
on-demand audio analysis speed is on fast

best wishes
Gregor

Hey @Gregor_Pompe,

I checked with our Senior Tech Support and they’ve requested that you try the following:

• Create a fresh backup
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • Reinstall Roon Os from the WebUI
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database
  • If everything starts up as expected Restore your Backup prior to the issue starting
  • You may also want to adjust your background audio analysis speed to Off

If the database loads properly, your edits, playlists, tags, etc should be intact, and we can confirm everything is performing properly once it’s been restored.

Hello,

I procedeed with your steps. The remotes are now more responsive (quicker), but the server still crashes (even during the night) and there is a lot of mis-match with album art etc.

There is one step I could not recreate: I could not restore to the backup prior to my issue, because there were no such old backups. You must see: I posted my support claim on 1st of February, and now we are ending March, so my troubles are going on for almost 4 months. So I started fresh, but with no better results.

I guess this should be now my end with Roon. Really dissapointed.

best wishes

Hey @Gregor_Pompe,

Thank you for getting back in touch with these details. I don’t think we need to give up just yet, I’m confident that we can get this resolved.

I’ve scanned your logs and found a trace that resembles others we’ve seen recently. Please follow the steps @AMP suggests here. We hope to have a permanent solution for this prepared soon:

I tried also this solution, but server crashed again after only 53 minutes.

And after I mhave reset the operating system I have another issue: there is a lot of album art that is just plainly wrong in displaying.

Nucleus Roon 1.8 (Build918). 2,000 albums on Nucleus internal storage. Roon remote on PC and iPad

Used to have a rather similar issue of Roon Server Software crash/reboot on Nucleus, whenever I was either scrolling very fast on the Album page, or clicking through menu items a bit too fast. After 918 update didn’t solve the issue, upgrading to 16GB of RAM in Nucleus appears do the job. No Roon Server Software crash/reboot since, no matter how fast I scroll through the Album page, or click through all the different options in Roon remote.

How do you perform this upgrading to 16GB RAM?

tahnx in advance for your answer

Disclaimers: 1. though upgrading RAM made my Roon Server Software crash/reboot issue go away, doing so may not solve your problem; 2. According to Roonlab:

Step 1: power down Nucleus via Nucleus Web Administration Interface in your browser. Then disconnect cables to Nucleus

Step 2: place Nucleus upside down on a flat surface, and unscrew the 4 screws in the bottom, and lift the bottom cover

Step 3: slightly apply downward pressure on the RAM slot clamps(marked in red) to release your existing RAM. RAM will be released from the clamps and rest at an angle in the slot, then pull out your RAM at the same angle. (Nucleus has two RAM slots, OEM RAM likely installed at the lower slot)

Step 4: Identify the type of your existing RAM(e.g. my OEM RAM was 4GB DDR4 2400 SODIMM), and the conservative options is to order your replacements with the same parameters(e.g. 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400 SODIMM)

Step 5: Inserting your first 8GB RAM at the angle into the lower RAM slot first, gently apply downward pressure to lock into the lower RAM slot clamps, and repeat the process for the second 8GB RAM in the upper RAM slot.

Step 6: close and secure the back cover, reconnect cables, and power up

Hey @Gregor_Pompe,

Please try the following steps for your mismatched album art.

Go to Settings>Setup>Clear image cache>Clear Cache. Please let me know if this helps. Thanks!

Thank you that cleares this problem.

After the total reset, the server was crashing opn every 30-45 min, but this was probably due to the background analysis of a vast library. Now that this has beno done the server is more stable, but it crashes when scrolling fast or quickly cliking on the interface.

So my question is: having 6500 albums and 140.000 tracks, should I:
a) replace my Nucleus with Nucleus+
b) replace 8gb RAM in my Nucleus with 16GB
c) buy Nucleus+ and immediately enlarge the RAM capacity

thank you for your ansewers

It shouldn’t be doing that, it might be relatively slower than a smaller library but not crashing.

Hey @Gregor_Pompe,

You could get better performance by increasing the RAM to 16gb but the crashing is likely just taking place on the remote that you’re using. Is the crashing you’re seeing occurring on just one remote or multiple remotes?

You can ensure that you’ve set exceptions for Roon on your Mac and that you’ve updated those devices to the latest Build? (Settings>About>Remote)

When your “crash” occurs, check if the “run time” resets for Roon Server Software on Nucleus Web Administration Interface in your browser. Because if according to @jamie, only the remotes crashed, the “run time” of Roon Server Software should not be reset, right?

In the past, if I scrolled too fast on the Remote’s Album page, or clicked through the menu/options too fast on the remote, and my Roon Server Software rebooted, the “run time”(circled in red) of my Roon Server Software would reset to zero, but the “run time” for Operating system, Roon Lab Software wouldn’t reset to zero on Nucleus Web Administration Interface in my browser. Additionally, when my Roon Server Software rebooted, neither Roon PC remote, nor Roon iPad Remote would force quit. the PC/iPad remotes would show “attempting to connect to core…”

1 Like

Hello,

the problem is not the crashing of the app, but crashing of the server, which is evident if I check the web UI page. So the question is would additilnal RAM diminish the crashing of the roon server on nucleus.

1 Like

Hey @Gregor_Pompe

We pulled logs from your Nucleus to see if we can determine what’s happening and why. We’re not seeing any recent crashes. If this happens again can you please note the Date and Time when it occurs and post it here? That will help us pinpoint the crash in your logs. Thanks!

Thanx.

Now the stability of nucleus server is little bit better. Not crashing every hour, but once a day (even when not in use).

But there is knew “bug”: when streaming to KEF LSX sepaker the music stops every 30 seconds. ??

Hey @Gregor_Pompe,

I’m sorry to hear that. Can you tell us how you’re connecting to the KEFs in Roon? Are you seeing any error messages when playback stops? How are those connected to internet, wired or wi-fi? Thanks.