Netgear Orbi Router RBR750 WiFi 6

Connected Audio Devices

Multiple Google Nest speakers
Core output via HDMI from PC to receiver

Number of Tracks in Library

24000 tracks

Description of Issue

On a daily basis, I have to restart the RoonServer. These are the symptoms:

I am able to navigate the collection using either Roon software on one of several PCs or via the Roon Remote on my Android phone or iPhone. I am able to select different audio zones.

However, when I choose to play a track or album from the library, there is no response. Additionally, if I attempt to transfer “Now Playing” to a different audio zone, the “Transferring” animation is displayed but never resolves. The solution is to log into the PC, quit and restart the server, and then it works correctly.

I have a copy of my RoonServer logs available, if needed. I zipped them right after I attempted to play from both my PC and my Android phone, with no response.

1 Like

Is there something I need to do to get a response to this issue? My license just renewed for another year and would like to not have to manually restart the server every day.

Additional symptoms: In the Roon software I can navigate to Settings | Audio. I cannot Enable any discovered devices, but I can click the Gear icon on any device and choose “Device Settings” At that point the Device setup window displays with the progress animation. I can cancel out, but no other action is possible. I did once get a “waiting for your core” message but it disappeared.

Hi @Timothy_Huber,

We are indeed running a bit behind but I’m happy to say, many have resolved this issue and I’ll give you the details.

1. Update Windows.
  2. Update .NET from Microsoft’s website.

If these two don’t work, it may be necessary to give Roon a clean slate. As long as you have backups, no data loss would be involved. I’ll list the steps below:

• Exit out of RoonServer
  • Navigate to your RoonServer’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Reinstall the RoonServer App from our Downloads Page to generate a new RoonServer folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Please let us know how things go. We are aware that this is affecting users but most of the time it’s a Windows update/.NET issue so hopefully you won’t have to check out the last option.

Regards,
Wes

Wes, thank you for this. I will try and post the results.

Regards,
Tim

Windows update was already updated. Installed the latest update of .NET last night. Had the same non-responsiveness today. I will try the server re-install now.

So I had to do the last option. I backed up my library, renamed the RoonServer folder in the Local App Data, reinstalled the server, restored the library. I started playing and after about 5 minutes, mid-song, the server stopped responding, I had to manually quit and restart.

Would appreciate any additional troubleshooting. I’d be happy to provide my logs, as well, if that would help.

If you have a bit of time and the disk space you can set up your machine to give you the option of booting into Linux without touching your Windows installation. I did that, installed Roon Server for Linux, restored from a backup, and am up and running with Roon Core running under Linux. I was experiencing issues similar to yours, and so far my new setup has been rock solid. Much, much better than with Windows Server.

Hi @Timothy_Huber,

I enabled logging for your account and I am seeing lots of network reachability changed errors. Can you provide some more information on how the Core is connected to the network? Is it connected to the main Orbi router or to a satellite? Do you have any kind of firewall inspecting traffic? Can you try to go to Roon Settings → Library and set On-Demand and Background Audio Analysis to Throttled or Off?

1 Like

My core is connected to a switch that is hanging off one of the Orbi satellites. My television is also connected to the same switch. Until a month ago things were working with no issue. I have not made any hardware or configuration changes.

I don’t have a firewall installed.

I will throttle the background analysis and see if that has an impact.

@noris I throttled on-demand and background analysis. I continue to have issues. The server running Roon has a static IP address. What are the “network reachability changed” errors referencing?

Hi @Timothy_Huber ,

Do you by any chance have IPv6 turned on? If so, I wonder if this could be related, please see this related thread:

2 Likes

Hi @noris: I confirmed I didn’t have it active on my Orbi mesh network. To confirm, I will also turn it off on the system I’m running Roon on (mediabox).

Please note that earlier this week I also made an additional change. The mediabox had been hanging off a switch hard-wired to a satellite in the mesh. I moved it to hang on the primary router. However, I am still seeing the same symptoms.

I will update tomorrow if the IPv6 change on the Windows box addressed the issue.

1 Like

Hi @noris: I was optimistic that disabling IPv6 on the network would solve the problem. However, I have the same symptoms again when I went to use the system this afternoon. Non-responsive and I have to disable and restart the Roon server software.

@noris Any other suggestions?

Hi @Timothy_Huber ,

Sorry to hear that disabling IPv6 did not resolve the issue on your end. I am discussing your case with our dev team next week and we are reviewing your logs once more. I will let you know once this has taken place and I have additional feedback for you. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Thanks @noris for the feedback. Looking forward to hearing more.

1 Like

Hi @Timothy_Huber ,

Thanks for your patience here while I had a chance to bring your case up with the team. We have attempted to reproduce this issue in the QA lab in the past, but we have been unable to do so.

Can you please confirm if you are also seeing lots of Network Connection errors in your Windows Event Viewer logs?

The most straightforward event is in the Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/NetworkProfile log. There is a EventId 4004 “Network State Change Event” that fires whenever a network connection is made or re-identified.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-connection-event-logs/517b72ce-240b-4f86-a560-e11a86ed03be

Since these Network Reachability Errors are being picked up from the system, we are curious to know if the Windows log is also flooded with this. Here is a view from my end, for example (Windows 10 but should be similar):

@noris thanks for the response. I did find a lot (491) 4004 events over the past two days. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? I know enough to know that I don’t know enough.

1. If you were using VPN, make sure it is turned off or uninstalled.

2. Use a different unshielded CAT 6 cable to a different network port for the uplink. If you have one or more switches and a router, connect to a different device. If you are using Orbi, see if you can use / swap a different unit.

3. In Windows, network properties advanced, turn off Energy Efficient Ethernet.

4. Move the Core PC such that it is directly connected to the main router.

1 Like