Roon Server on QNAP QTS 4.5.1 Situation

Success. Now testing functionality. By the way, per a previous post in this thread, I downloaded John Van Sickle’s ffmpeg–git-amd64-static.tar.xz - md5 file (even though I am on an Intel CPU powered QNAP NAS - TS-1282T3…it’s an Intel Core i7-7700@3.60GHz) I had to extract it twice using 7-zip to get down to just the raw ffmpeg file. I hope this information helps someone.

The third file down…just the raw ffmpeg is what you want to put into the bin folder

2 Likes

That did it. A full uninstall/reinstall of Roon app along with a re-association of ffmpeg solved my issue. Thank you!

Nice bit of effort and providing very useful information to solve a problem. Much appreciated. IMO the QNAP hardware is the best system to run ROON on but support has to be from the community apparently.

1 Like

Hi @crieke

I hope you are well.

Sorry to bother you but I have been using your fix for a while now without issues but just recently it has stopped working. If I move ffmpeg to the RoonOnNAS/bin directory and restart Roon, the overview page shows it as ‘user supplied’ and AAC playback works fine. Then the next day, Roon cannot play AAC files and when I check the overview page again, it has reverted to ‘System default’ even though the ffmpeg file is still in the RoonOnNAS/bin.

I think this is probably related to a Roon change (I am running earlyaccess build 1292) but just wanted to check if you were aware of this or if anyone else has experienced the same problem?

Many thanks
Danny

Sounds to me like the same as:

2 Likes

Thanks @BlackJack that is very useful.

I have recently replaced my previous external SSD with a new pre-formatted SSD so that may be the cause. I’ve now reformatted it via the NAS so will see if that fixes the issue.

Hi @BlackJack

That seems to have fixed the issue as it is working fine today.

I’m a bit puzzled as to why re-formatting would make a difference but thanks again, I wouldn’t have worked out how to fix it without your input.

Thanks also to @Michael_Lockwood for finding the solution.

Thanks
Danny

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.