Roon Server on Ubuntu keeps scanning folders

@fab_aut, Because I do my ripping on a Windows PC, I had setup Samba on the two Ubuntu boxes so it would be easy to drag-and-drop files from File Explorer to these remote drives. When I linked in the remote folder via the Roon interface, I’m assuming that it made the connection with CIFS automatically because it realized that this particular transfer protocol was loaded and available. So the CIFS mounting of the remote shared folder was done at the click of a mouse button by Roon.

In order to change the protocol, I had to manually setup an NFS server on the remote box as an alternative, NFS client software on the Roon Server and manually link the shared folder via the NFS protocol. First I tested it by mounting the remote folder manually from the command line then checked the results in the Roon client. Once I had confirmed that it worked, I added a line to the /etc/fstab file so that Ubuntu would automatically remount the remote folder each time the box was rebooted to make my temporary test a permanent solution.

As you can see, this is not a simple process because it’s all being done from command prompts, involved loading packages from the repository, editing configuration files and a bit of testing. Having run out of other ideas, this was just an attempt by me to find ANY solution that seemed viable. The hope is that as the Roon techs get more information from users, they’ll be able to identify the root cause and come up with a more elegant solution. While my hack worked for me, it might be useless for people who have hardware or appliances that don’t give them level of control they need like I had as an administrator of the box with unlimited control.

Let’s see how it goes after the initial import:

it is behaving… NFS looks to be a way around.
Thanks @Darryl_Caillouet

1 Like

Unfortunately for me is way to difficult. I’m not so skilled! I set up my NUC (only for Roon and Plex server) following some guide, as a little monkey :slight_smile:

Is it possible to ask for a little help from some admin, like @nuwriy or @noris?

what kind of storage device do you use?
Synology or Qnap NAS? if not which one do you use? initially you have to tell the storage to “stream” the share thru NFS so you can do the configuration in the client side (your ubuntu nuc)

Synology DS918+ is the storage device. Nuc with Ubuntu 20.04 is the server. Bluesound & Nad are my streaming devices.

In the Synology side: https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/File_Sharing/How_to_access_files_on_Synology_NAS_within_the_local_network_NFS

in the ubuntu side: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-configure-a-nfs-server-and-mount-nfs-shares-on-ubuntu-18.04/

you have to adapt the ubuntu side to your needs. some linux skills may be needed.

Thanks for your kind help, my NAS is already NFS enabled. On the other end, I’m not well-versed in running linux commands, so… I’m gonna wait for a solution from Roon Labs.
In addition, english is not my language, so… I’ll wait.

2 Likes

Hi @mavmcl & @fab_aut,

Thanks for these reports! I have forwarded your setup details + logs over to our QA team for further review, thanks in advance for your patience while we look into this further!

Thank you.

I’ve just checked, it is already scanning :frowning: but… If I go in SETTINGS/STORAGE, and try to “edit” one of the folders (actually changing nothing) and clicking “save”, it stops (not always bur very often). Could this help?

Poor server, and poor Nuc, it is scanning 24/7 :frowning:

…and it keep s scanning.

Hi everyone,

Please see our latest update on this here:

This is my storage, on a Synology Nas (ip address blanked)

Roon server is running on a NUC 8i3beh Linux Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTSLinux nuc8i3beh 5.4.0-52-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 15 10:57:00 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

enough! I turned my server off. :frowning:

2 Likes

Thank you! It seems to be working.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.