Roon Server performance degradation over time

Hi @Marc_Hanssen ----- A ticket has been taken out concerning your issue and is being tracked by our developers. Your logs are currently still being analyzed by our team and as we have more information, I will be sure to keep you update on our progress. Thank you for your patience.

-Eric

I read through this thread and thought Iā€™d see what my Roon (server install) was doing. It was using almost 700 MB of RAM (ā€œRoom Applianceā€). ā€œRoon Serverā€ was only using 20 MB. So I forced a restart of Roon. Itā€™s now using 83 MB for ā€œRoon Applianceā€ and 3.1 MB for ā€œRoon Serverā€.

Iā€™m running a Window 10 Pro PC. The PC ONLY runs Roon (itā€™s set up as a server). The OS is on a SSD, the audio files are stored locally. Thereā€™s 8GB of RAM and an Intel i3 4130 CPU, so plenty of resources. Still kinda disturbing to see that over the last two weeks since I installed it, Roon has ballooned to 10x the size the RAM use than when it starts.

Which Roon OS version is that, 32 or 64 bit?

64 bit.

I started playing using Roon radio when i posted that message. Since then (about 3 hours later), Roon Appliance is up to 313.5 MB of RAM. Roon Server is using 4.4 MB.

It would seem thereā€™s a memory error somewhere in this build where Roon isnā€™t releasing memory back to the system.

As I reported in the ā€œTracks Ending Prematurelyā€ thread, Iā€™ve been having problems with tracks not playing through. This morning, I reviewed the state of the server on my Synology, and it had ā€œinflatedā€ to nearly 4GB of RAM (out of a total of 6GB, the maximum on the Synology). The system wasnā€™t under pressure (there were no clients connected), wasnā€™t playing back - but should have been scanning for new content (one album had been added)ā€¦but the issue predated the album add (which never showed up until I rebooted the Synology).

Typical memory usage for the server is usually around 1GBā€¦so this was 4x normal and growing on a minute-by-minute basis. (Right now, 10 minutes post-reboot, itā€™s about 1.15GB, with over 25% CPU use, even though itā€™s not doing much, with no active clients.)

A tail of the log didnā€™t show anything weird. No other processes were/are using more than a MB or so.

Perhaps this is why things were playing back poorlyā€¦ but, well, somethingā€™s going on with the new versionā€¦help!

EDIT: post-reboot, now, 16-minutes in, the RoonAppliance server is sleeping, using 0% CPU and < 1GB of memory, as it should be. It was definitely going crazy nuts (a technical term) before.

Hi @David_Nanian,

Iā€™ve merged your post into this thread as it looks like the same (or similar) issue. Letā€™s drop a flag for @Support to investigate further.

It seems that this thread you merged me into has been inactive for 21 daysā€¦ hopefully that doesnā€™t mean the issue is being ignored.

Thereā€™s an active ticket in the internal bug system which has not yet been resolved as per Ericā€™s last post above.

Yes, I did see that, but ā€“ as a developer ā€“ I was surprised it took over 28 days to analyze the logs. :slight_smile:

Note that Iā€™ve been doing some extensive monitoring today, and RoonAppliance is only using 2% CPU (and maintaining its 1GB memory footprint) during over an hour of regular playback. So (sorry to repeat) something crazy was clearly going on when it was using 25% CPU doing nothing. :slight_smile:

Resurrecting an old thread, but Iā€™m experiencing exactly what Evan reports in this postā€¦

Iā€™m running Win10 64bit Roon Server on an i5 NUC which, until a few weeks ago, was very speedy but performance has degraded significantly. Was a smoking gun ever found for this one?

A post was split to a new topic: RoonServer memory and CPU issue

3 posts were split to a new topic: RoonServer slowing down