Roon Server Software is restarting frequently

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
NUC5 with ROCK installed on a SSD.
OS Version 1.0 (build 219) stable
Server Software Version 1.7 (build 571) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
The Problem is that the Roon server software is frequently restarting itself since a few weeks. In the past this was absolutely stable without any issue.

The time between the restarts varies between 3 and 30 minutes. Happens with no load on the server, so clients connected.

The first time I saw the problem was after a power loss of ROCK. But the time can correspond to the update to build 571.

Is there any log where I can see what causes the restarts?

It’s currently not funny to listen music with Roon. :unamused:

Hi @Dieter_Achenbach,

Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link?

Thanks!

Hi Dylan,
thanks for the fast reply.
Here are the log files:
Log files

Regards
Dieter

Hi @Dieter_Achenbach,

Thanks for sending those logs over, but unfortunately they do not contain much clues as to the behavior.
Let’s proceed as follows:

1. Can you please share a screenshot of your ROCK’s Web UI?

2. If you temporarily disconnect any USB devices and disable all your storage locations under Roon Settings -> Storage, does the behavior still occur?

There is nothing else connected that the network cable on the NUC.
Diesabling the storage location changes nothing. It is still restarting.

Thanks
Dieter

Hi @Dieter_Achenbach,

Thanks for that screenshot. Can you please confirm if you have any backups of your Roon database?
I suggest that we try setting the old database aside to see if a fresh one also has this same issue:

• Stop RoonServer from running in ROCK’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder
  • Restore your database from a backup

It’s backing up every 4 days and keep 8 backups. Currently there are 2 with build 555 available. To rule out if 571 ist the reason for my ROON problem, I try the latest 555 and will let you know what happens.

Regards
Dieter

1 Like

@Dieter_Achenbach - Sounds like a plan, I would also try with the fresh database for a couple of hours (before restoring the backup) to see if the fresh database also reproduces. So these steps:

And then restore the backup after a few hours of usage of the fresh database at a later point.
Do let me know how it goes!

After the restore it was still 571. Don’t know if it is updating itself to the latest version after the restore. And it’s still restarting the server.
So I tried your suggestions but didn’t restore a database to have a fresh one. Still restarting. :frowning:

Hi @Dieter_Achenbach,

If the reboots are still occurring after a fresh database, this could be a hardware or operating system issue. I would suggest starting off with the operating system reinstall, you can do this via the ROCK WebUI:

Did you start importing any media? I would also try a fresh database with no media, I’ve seen some media files cause analysis issues with Roon in the past, although it’s very rare to see.

I tried it a while without importing any media, only listening to Tidal. It’s still restarting. Will try to reinstall the operating system.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

@Dieter_Achenbach - If the reinstall does not help, I would try reinstalling ROCK from a USB stick.
If the issue is still the same after that, checking the RAM with Memtest86 and checking the SSD/using another SSD would be my next suggestion.

Since the yesterday update to Build 220 of the operating system the server is running now without restart for 21h. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Dieter_Achenbach,

Happy to hear of the improvements!

Just as additional information - we also released another major update for Roon OS a few hours ago, please update if you have not yet.

Again restarts with build 227. :frowning:

Hi @Dieter_Achenbach,

If you plug in the HDMI port of the ROCK to a monitor, do you see any additional information there when the reboot happens?

Can you please note the exact local time + date of the next reboot and then send a log set shortly after?

The reboots cause the logs to overwrite, but if we can get the starting point of the log (within the first 5 min of the issue starting), perhaps that will give us some more info.

Zipped approximately 15s after server restart.
New Log files

I have had a look into the BIOS of the NUC and found the time is 2h behind. Don’t know it this can cause such problems.

Regards
Dieter

No it doesn’t…

I did a complete new ROCK installation - same problem.
Build 220 has workek for over one day. And the 227 came and also the error. Frustrating.

Hi @Dieter_Achenbach,

Thanks for sending the new logs over and appreciate your patience until I had a chance to review. I do see the RoonServer restarts, but as for the reason as to why they occur, is not clear yet.

In the logs you sent, it appears that ROCK has been restarting since the oldest log, which was a few hours ago before your saved them.

I suspect this might end up being a hardware issue, have you tried hosting Roon on a different SSD? I would also check the RAM on the NUC, perhaps there’s a bad RAM stick that causes the system to fail, I would run Memtest x86 (free version should be ok) to check for RAM errors.