Roon shows track as playing but is not actually

Just read through the XMOS thread.
Depressing, this is why Audio has become a niche hobby/industry. Way to complicated for the general public who just want it to work and sound good.
Although I misinterpreted the sampling rate and bit depth as the cause this does seem to be the problem I am having.
It seemed there may be a fix, although I am not clear what that might be. Likely there are consequences…
Also it seems that ethical manufacturers and companies are working on a proper solution. This is good but I can see there are an incredible number of variables.
Is Ayre working on a solution? Perhaps they already have one. Does anyone in the community know? I have reached out to the company.

Hi @Mike_Evans,

You can try a test here to see if this issue only occurs when sample rate is switching and if you are hitting the same issue. You can re-sample all your content to the “Max PCM Rate” by using Roon’s DSP Engine like so:

If you try setting things in this way, do you still experience the issue?

– Noris

Hi Noris

I am trying what you suggested. It played through my listening session which seemed promising. I decided to leave it on overnight but somewhere along the line it failed again.

When I tried to go to another song it gave me an error message “ to many failures shutting down” or something like that. Disconnecting the devices got things going again. I will keep the 192 setting and see if I can replicate.

I did contact Ayre. They checked my serial # and while I have USB 2, I do not have their latest upgrades. He was not sure if their latest mod would help anyway. Given the excellent support I have received from Roon and Antipodes I must admit I was rather surprised by this response. The fellow that responded is a sales manager so hopefully he will forward my issue to their technical support department. Given the quality of their equipment I would expect they would like to examine compatibility issues to further improve their product and support their customers.

Again thank you for your support.

Mike

Listened last night. Tried switching from various types of formats. I could not make it crash. No issues.
I will continue to monitor.

Sounds like the XMOS bug then.

Hi @Mike_Evans,

I just want to check in with you here to see if things are still stable with running the configuration with Max PCM Rate. Have there been any additional issues since your last post for either iPad zone or Ayre zone with Max Sample Rate?

We may want to take a closer look at the diagnostics from your Core when this issue occurs. Can I please ask you to reproduce this issue by disabling the up-sampling to max PCM rate and let me know the exact local time + date in your country of when the next failure of switching between sample rate occurs? E.g. 1:36PM on 5/10/19. Once I have this info I can enable diagnostics and attach this to your case notes.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris
The upsampling seems to have stabilized things and the IPad worked without issue.
I will do as you ask and report back.
Cheers
Mike

Well maybe not. I have been listening at 192 for a few hours and was just going to call it a night. The system crashed 11.35 PM my time give or take a minute or two, I had just stepped out of the room so missed the exact time.
Mike

Hi @Mike_Evans,

Thank you for letting me know that timestamp.

Now that I have this info, I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

If your Core is currently not powered on, please power it on so that this report can reach our servers and we can take a look to see if it possibly contains any additional information at the time of failure you noted.

Thanks,
Noris

Thank you. I have left it on upsampling and had no problems since my last message.
Would you like me to return it to regular mode where the music stopped frequently?
Mike

Hi @Mike_Evans,

I have been on the lookout for the mentioned diagnostics report from your machine but I see that it hasn’t reached out servers yet. Can I please ask you to reboot your Antipodes Core so that it will hopefully re-establish communication with our servers?

You can feel free to keep using the up-sampled method as the logs should contain traces of when this issue occurred with regular unmodified content in the mix and I am more interested in seeing if something happened at the 11:35PM timestamp you noted with up-sampling turned on.

Thanks,
Noris

Ok I have shut off, turned off the power and restarted the Antipodes. Do I need to do anything else?
Mike

Hi @Mike_Evans,

Thanks for restarting the Antipodes, I can confirm that the diagnostics report has reached our servers. We are not seeing this behavior in-house with the Ayre gear we have, but we don’t quite have the same model. We are going to reach out to Ayre regarding this issue and as soon as we hear back I will be sure to let you know. If things are stable with the up-sampling turned on please do keep it enabled.

– Noris

Thank you Noris.
I appreciate you reaching out to Ayre. I will be interested to see what they say.
I have an Ayre Codex with the latest firmware and updates on loan from my dealer. I plan to use it this weekend to see if it will play consistently without having to upsampling.
Regards
Mike

1 Like

The Ayre Codex plays without having to upsample.
Every once in awhile it will skip a track in the queue. It seems to play a few bars and then quickly plays the next track… not sure what is happening here. Not perfect but much better… is this a related problem to my main issue or something else?
Thanks
Mike

Hi @Mike_Evans,

Can you please provide the exact local time + date in your country of when you are experiencing the issue with the Ayre Codex? I would like to attach these additional traces to your case as well.

– Noris

Will let you know the time and date.
Not a major issue as it skips a track but it then plays the next in the queue. Still it would be nice to see what is causing this.
Mike

1 Like

I have not had any major issues since our last correspondence. On occasion the queue will skip a track but I may not even notice so it has been difficult to provide you with further data. Apparently the latest Ayre firmware in the Codex fixes the (apparent XMOS?) problem . Given that I am going to consider this case closed from my perspective.

Thank you very much for your support. I am very impressed with the level of support Roon has provided. Thanks also to Antipodes and my local Ayre dealer for their support.

Cheers
Mike

Hi @Mike_Evans,

Thanks for the update here, and glad to hear that the issue has subsided after the latest firmware update!

I’m going to go ahead and close this case out, but any further issues you may have do feel free to reach out to us. I hope you have a great continued Roon experience!

– Noris