Roon slow with playback (loading/changing songs) both local and Tidal and generating overviews

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP TVS-872XT running fw 4.5.2.1566 core i5-8400T 64GB mem 66TB raid 6 with 2TB SSD read cach, 2TB SSD running ROON Core 1.8 (build 764)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Netgear Orbi router + wifi satellites + various netgear switches for the wired network 1GB

The path in the house
QNAP → Netgear GS110MX → Netgear GS116GE → Netgear GS108 → Netgear Orbi Router → GS324T-100EUS → DCS Bartók

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
DCS Bartók networked

Description Of Issue
Roon responds slow to change songs (can take beyond a minute) and very slow to show any overview pages

This behaviour does not show up on my PC when I play songs from the same core. The PC and the QNAP are on the same switch

1 Like

Just been tinkering with the settings in my GS324T enabling IGMP on all ports. The biggest lag seems gone for now. The overview page still isn’t as fast as on my PC next to the QNAP. The music switching both on Tidal and private network has dramatically improved for items in the library. New Tidal items are still slow and have considerable waiting time.

Performed a whole bunch of tests. The behavior is pretty erratic. Extreme waiting times seem to have vanished, but switching between local files, Tidal files from Library and non Library files on Tidal and sometimes in between local / Tidal files I still have wait times.

Any thoughts/ideas how to address some of the more erratic behavior

thx

@support can you please have a look at my problem as it is not a great user experience at the moment

Have you tried connecting the DCS Bartok directly to the Orbi? Might help pinpoint the problem a bit.

I tried that not much improvement to be honest

Played with various multicast settings in the switch no improvements, still no a very responsive roon core. Still happy to get support on this

On the NAS side I see the Roon core is consuming 11.75GB which has never been this high.
Might I be experiencing some kind of memory leak?

Still not sure what I need to do/provide to get proper support on my problems

My library responses are still extremely sluggish (330K songs) also Tidal makes no difference. Switching between the two seems even worse (e.g. a mixed playlist) on average takes 60 sec to move between songs. Switching between Tidal songs 23 sec. Switching between songs in local library 25sec and some exceptions (5 secs). No difference if a song is recently played or liked)

Worked through the various articles and how to to setup my network and switches accordingly. Did all the proposed changes no performance improvement so far. Would be keen to get more help/pointers

Conducted one more experiment.

Moved from
Untitled Diagram
to

NEW network

Which takes out the managed switch from the signal path. However no improvement in performance

@support can you please start looking into this?

thanks!

Hi @Jilco_Schuurmans,

A big thank you for following up on your post and for your incredible patience. I’m sorry it’s been so long until we replied.

I have gotten in touch with our technicians about this thread. You should hear back from them very soon.

Sorry about the trouble! :grimacing:

Hello @Jilco_Schuurmans ,
Thank you for your patience here while your case reached our queue.

Can you please clarify what you mean by the issue does not show on the PC? Are you using the PC as the output and you are not seeing the issue or are you using the PC just as a Roon Remote?

What happens if you switch over to the PC as the Roon Core and connect it in the same way as the QNAP, does the issue reproduce?

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings → General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC Core

When I use my PC as an end point I have no delays
When I use my DAC as an end point the performance remains sluggish

I don’t want to run my PC as a Core hence why I bought a high performance NAS as you can see in the specs

1 Like

This might be a silly/obvious suggestion but have you tried swapping out the ethernet cable for your DAC?

See my post on network tests above including different cables

Interestingly the playing Tidal on the PC gives now also bigger switching times compared to the previous Roon version on my PC

@noris trying do to what you say on installing Roon Core onto my PC.
Unfortunately I cannot change the installation folder and my system drive is too full to host the Roon library. For reference the backup size of my Library (excluding the media files) is around 46GB. I simply cannot free up so much room on my system drive.

Any thoughts on how to proceed on this?

thanks for sharing

I did a complete rebuild of my network (the structure is same as per the picture above) by bringing all devices (routers, switches, access points) back to factory mode and build up all the settings again from the ground up.

The performance from all the local files on the server is back to normal. On Tidal the jury is out. It seems for now once a single track has loaded subsequent tracks are coming more rapidly however not instant (yes when you play a queue not when you skip between various tracks mid song).

When switching between local and Tidal files it is still glitchy.

Thanks for the update, @Jilco_Schuurmans — I’m glad to hear that things are better to some degree.

For TIDAL performance can you try setting your router to use Google DNS? We’ve seen this help in the past with similar cases.