Roon Slows Down Over Time, Core Server Reboot Temporarily Fixes Problem

Thank you @Andreas_Philipp1! That command worked much better, and as an added bonus it’s only one line of code. Memory usage went from 8.2GB down to 4.9GB simply with your restart command and Roon is much more responsive.

Ironically a user in the “Roon Enthusiasts” Facebook Group posted today about Roon’s recommendation for large library sizes which I was not aware of. The user linked to this article which includes comments from Roon’s CTO Brian Luczkiewicz @brian where he recommends running Roon Server on a fairly robust Intel i7 (newer generation) PC with Windows 10:

“Get the fastest consumer-grade i7 you can, at least 4 cores, 16GB of RAM, a 256GB+ NVMe SSD, a big fan to cool the thing, a nice closet to put it in, and a locally connected storage array for the content, and then run Windows 10.”

The user who posted on Facebook today has a library size of over 780,000 tracks and just finished a custom PC build for the task.

I may attempt an experiment when I have time, restoring a current Roon backup to my video editing workstation which is a robust Windows 10 PC, and see if that has any effect. Long term I don’t want my Roon server on my work PC, but if it can help me narrow down these issues it would be worth it. Here I was thinking ROCK on an i7 NUC was where I might need to go, but based on that article perhaps I may need more? Especially as my library grows.

Hopefully support will weigh in soon.