Roon Slows Down Over Time, Core Server Reboot Temporarily Fixes Problem

I have commented in another post, but probably worth mentioning here. I specifically noticed memory issues after my backup executes to Dropbox. Memory usage increases by at least 15% consistently after the backup , and remains at that level until Roon server is restarted

That’s a good question, like you, my only read on the SMART information is what is outlined in the report. The response I got from Roon Support was:

Based on the SMART data, yes, it is suggested that you should try to replace this drive if you have another one around. Please start with a clean install of Ubuntu if possible. Also, please keep an eye on the amount of storage on the SSD drive, as fuller SSD drives are slower.

Since my last post…

1. I replaced the SSD in my computer
  2. Fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 LTS
  3. Fresh install of Roon Server
  4. Restore of my latest Roon Backup

As before, memory usage increased over time. Starting under 4GB used to over 8GB over the course of ~48 hours. I did add new music to the library at this time. I did notice some lagging, but nothing terrible yet.

The Roon Remote on my Windows 10 PC crashed (3) separate times when I was trying to interact with Roon yesterday while new music was processing in the background. It would seem Roon was getting overwhelmed.

Roon played music flawlessly through the first 24 hours, including overnight.

Last night, around the 3AM hour, Roon crashed again and restarted itself. This causes music playback to pause in all zones. In this case, one zone was paused when I woke up and sure enough, Ubuntu has a crash report tied to Roon. It would seem my crashing problem was not due to my SSD that I replaced.

Has anyone else here experienced these crashes? Below are screenshots of the one crash information from the crash event last night.

Hello @Bryan_Nieman ,

It is strange that this issue was also impacting you on Windows 7, which is why we believed the SSD may have been causing some of the behavior here. Thank you for trying the new SSD and sorry to hear that this hasn’t helped with the issue.

I spoke to QA and we are looking into this behavior, I will include the Ubuntu errors in your ticket.

Can you please submit a set of Roon logs from this Windows 10 machine and the Ubuntu Core by using these instructions to access them? Perhaps the Windows remote and new Ubuntu logs will also have some clues, thanks!

Thank you for reaching out.

I’ve sent the requested logs to you via Private Message.

RoonServer crashed again overnight and restarted itself. This is the 3rd crash in 4 days since reinstall of Ubuntu.

1 Like

Thanks for sending the new logs over @Bryan_Nieman , I can confirm recipt. I have requested additional feedback from our QA team regarding the logs, once we have the feedback we will reach out again, thank you!

I do hope Roon will resolve what sounds like an issue for a number of users across different hardware platforms with large libraries, which arises after there have been album additions and/or frequent searches.

In my case I have a library of over 478,000 tracks on a Synology NAS connected to a Nucleus Plus with 32GB RAM, memory that should be more than sufficient according to Roon. Like others, after 3 to 4 days of activity (additions and searches, not just playback) Roon runs out of steam, slows right down and has to be rebooted, after which it reverts to its zippy self until a few days later it happens again.

For what it’s worth, and as suggested by others, the resources employed in such instances seem not to be released back and simply accumulate in a way Roon cannot handle, but I admit that’s just speculation on my part. I do hope however, that Roon gives the issue some serious attention and doesn’t regard it as one only affecting what have been described as “outliers” in the past, and therefore of no great importance.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.