Roon software on core frozen

came back from holidays and the roon software on the core did not respond. Deleted app and installed newest version again - twice. started windows again. Always the same problem. When starting the roon app, it is busy and signalling “no response”. The nucleus however works and I can control the nucleus with the ipad. The roon software on the core is frozen showing an old song I was listening to before the holidays. What happened and what can I co?

Please provide more information about your setup as described here: I'm having a problem with Roon -- where do I report it?.

If you have the Nucleus this is your Core. Are you using Windows as a Roon Control device? If so, is this connected to the Nucleus or running as Core too?

thank you for your reply .I have a T+A MP 8 as control unit. It is a streamer with roon ready. Provided with newest updates. I donwloaded roon onto the windows 10 PC as core. The mentioned “nucleus” is my control unit - the T+A (I am not very familiar with the roon naming - if it is not called nucleus, sorry). The T+A itself works fine and I can control the T+A even with the Ipad. Nevertheless, the core stays frozen (the app on the PC).

Thanks for your, but to receive appropriate help your reply should provide the information requested and set out as described in the linked post above. Your post should include:

• Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)
  • Details on your Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)
  • Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)
  • Audio devices in use
  • Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library)

From what you have said, the T+A is a streamer and Roon endpoint. You use an iPad for control and the Windows PC for Roon core and control.

The fact that you can play music and control this with the iPad implies that the Roon core is working correctly. Can you confirm what software you downloaded and installed on the Windows PC?

Thank you for the details. What you have written is correct. I downloaded the roon windows 64bit dated June 17th 2020. Here is the requested information:

• Core: Windows 10 with latest updates (Dell inspiron) - here runs the roon software 64bit
  • remote: The T+A is a combo streamer with CD and is roon ready certified
  • Network: LAN - ipad via WLAN. T+A runs on DHCP, PC core with fixed IP
  • The T+A gives the audio signal to the amplifier
  • Library: I use Tidal
    Hope to have answered all questions in order to solve the problem.
    Correct is, that everything is working, but I cannot control the roon app on the PC since it is frozen. The whole system as set up has not been changed from the beginning. I searched the forum and thought it might be a problem of a new roon update - which is why I downloaded the newest version. When deleting the old version I was asked whether to keep the old setup, which I did.
    Any idea?

Hi @Andreas_Gross ,

I just checked your account and I’m not seeing a Nucleus registered to your account, so in this case you Windows PC is the Core.

How exactly did you delete the Roon app? Do you have anything in the old database you want to preserve? Setting the old database aside and reinstalling fresh might help:

• (Optional) Make a Backup of your current Roon Database from the working remote
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • (Optional) Restore from backup

If setting up the fresh database does not resolve the issue, I would check the Graphics Drivers and make sure you are using the latest ones available.

Is it possible that you have both Roon Server and Roon running on your PC? I’m not a Windows users so can’t assist much further.

thank you for your help. Actually I have no clue how to run roon server - would I not need to install the other roon server software? This I did not do so far. Would you suggest to try?

Hi, thank you for your help. I deleted roon in the app section of Windows. When reinstalling I first left the database untouched. Now I told to overwrite it. Now I can start roon again, I added a new database, connected it with tidal again and so on. It took quite a while until it was finished. Unfortunately: When I now start roon, there is no freeze, but the app is closing automatically after 1-2 minutes. Any idea what is going wrong?

Hi @Andreas_Gross,

Can you please use these instructions and send me a set of your Roon logs? If you don’t have a file transfer service, just let me know and I can provide one.

I completely set up the pc again. It seems that the last windows 10 update was causing the error. The cpu usage was too high which obviously caused roon to freeze. After the new windows setup now everything seems to be working fine again as it used to. Thank you for your help. I will keep in mind to read the instructions (the link you sent me) once I run into problems again.

1 Like

Hi @Andreas_Gross,

Thanks for letting us know you located and addressed the issue!
Feel free to reach out if you run into any other difficulties, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.