Roon Starts Playing by Itself

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Apple Mac Mini (Late 2014) 10.14.4/2.6GHz i5, 8GB/Roon 1.6/Build 426 (64bit)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Linkys Velop Mesh Router/DLing Gigbit Switch//Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Schiit Bifrost Multibit connected via Optical to System Out.

Description Of Issue

When I go to bed I pause all zones after using Tidal confirming nothing is playing. I will come back the next day with Tidal streaming. This happens multiple times a week.

1 Like

Hello @Mark_Scardina,

Does your Scitt Bifrost have a remote control? Is it possible that this remote is being pressed by accidentally in the night ?

This sounds strange, can you please let me know the exact local time + date when you next pause the Roon stream and confirm nothing is playing vs when you wake up and there is audio playing? E.g. stopped playing at 10:56PM on 5/10/19, woke up and music was playing at 8AM on 5/11/19.

I would like to check the diagnostics from your Core to see if there is a reason for this to happen overnight.

– Noris

1 Like

The Bifrost does not have a remote, I control the stream with my iPhone XS running the latest iOS with the Roon app. It happened multiple times tonight. I paused the stream at about 10:45 using my iPhone. About 5 minutes later it was playing again. I paused it one more time. Then about 12:30am it started again. in both cases my phone was off and undisturbed prior to it starting. Both times it was playing the Tidal stream of the TaTaku Best of Kodo II album by Kodo, if that helps with the logs.

Hi @Mark_Scardina,

Thanks for letting me know those timestamps.

I have gone ahead and activated diagnostics mode and what this action should do is automatically upload a set of logs from your Core machine to our servers for analysis but I am not seeing any communication from your Core in the past few days even though you mentioned that this issue occurred yesterday.

Can I please ask you to manually send me a set of the logs using these instructions? The best way to get them over to us would be by using a shared Dropbox, Google Drive, or Send.firefox.com link.

– Noris

Hi @Mark_Scardina,

Thanks for sending those logs over. I am taking a look through them and I noticed that at both 10:45 and 12:30 that Roon is getting a KEYDOWN: MEDIANEXTTRACK command from your Core causing the stream to start up again.

This keypress is typically the F9 button found on Apple keyboards, perhaps you were using Roon on your Core and accidentally pressed it or this button is stuck on the keyboard itself?

– Noris

There is not a keyboard connected to the core Mac as I run it as a server logging in remotely. I was not logged in at those times. Is there any other way that event is sent?

Hi @Mark_Scardina,

I am not aware of any way to trigger this behavior without the keyboard, this is very puzzling. I will reach out to QA and ask them to take a look at the diagnostics as well but if you can think of anything else that might be triggering the “Next Track” button or possibly hitting Command + F9 in the meantime do let me know.

– Noris

I discovered the problem. I use a Logitech Harmony remote to control my AppleTV4K. It appears that the IR commands for that are use to control it also control the Mac Mini running Roon Core that is in line of sight. I was able to replicate it for Play/Pause and Next/Back. I have disabled the IR sensor in my Mac Mini as I don’t use it and so far I have not had the problem re-occur.

2 Likes

Good fault finding work there Mark.

Hi @Mark_Scardina,

Glad to hear that you have been able to narrow down this issue to the Harmony remote.
Thanks again for contacting us and hope you have a great continued Roon experience :headphones:!

– Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.