Roon stopped importing new albums?

Nothing unusual on the TrueNAS Machine holding the music files. I have tried to restart it so it has plenty of fresh memory and then do a Forced Scan on the folders from Roon but the result were the same. The only method that works atm is to divide the files on several Datasets in TrueNAS and corresponding Storage Folders in Roon. Then it doesnt cap (now). I will probably further divide the lossless files into more datasets. Now I have Roon (original share), Lossy (for mp3, ogg etc) and Various (for Various Artists). I am now thinking of putting all Classical music into its own dataset/folder as well to offload the original Roon dataset further.

I organise my files that way anyway. It’s useful for filtering results by location. Does sound like you’re running into a limit on size of directories on the NAS.

I got some answers from the tekkie guys on zfs side. The way to check what number of a certain file that a TrueNAS dataset exposes is: find /mnt/tank/dataset -name “*.flac” | wc -l

I tried that on my (now diminished) Roon dataset and got 72 205 flac files. Roon finds 72 164 total tracks and 220 of them are AIFF, meaning it finds 71 985 flac files. Roon says I have no corrupt or skipped files.

Could be duplicates, could contain special/unknown to Roon characters in file or folder names, could be ignored/blacklisted (read the FAQ document linked above) or just exceed the total path length restriction often found when dealing with network shares (around 250 characters). Classical material often falls over the last case:

<the name of the composer>
    <the name of the conductor>
        the name of the composer - the name of the conductor - the name of the album - 01 the name of the multi-part composition: the name of the part.flac

I’m pretty sure I dont have duplicates, since I add album for album in an orderly catalog structure. I do have some examples of different versions/editions/bitrates etc of the same album, and then Roon shows the versions when looking at them, for me to choose which to play. I do hope that this does not count as duplicates when Roon is making a track-count, that would be awkward.

As for file length I also take good care on file name length when I prepare them for the Roon folder. Working on one now actually, Complete Edition of Olivier Messiaen, 32 cd with many very long song titles.

I also run them through db poweramp to see no files are corrupt, and taking away any compression before adding them to the Roon folder.

Roon says no skipped, banned or corrupt files, how do I check ignored/blacklisted?

Never had this problem before, but during Christmas I “upgraded” my QNAP to QuTS Hero with Zfs file-system, and then this exact thing happened to me to.
Folders added to various_artists folder was not picked up.
Strange indeed

1 Like

Its strange indeed Baard. If I can see them in the file system, and I can play them from there, why doesnt Roon see them, and how does this become “a problem on the NAS-side”?

Anyway, I couldnt solve the problem, so I worked around it instead.

One thing I saw that was kind of strange during moving files and folders around was a MRL-error when opening the “missing” files in VLC in windows. The files indexed fine in other apps, Helium and MediaMonkey.
Snap22

Hey @Staffan_Jonson,

Thanks a lot for posting about this and for being so active in engaging with our community (and, everyone here thanks :pray:)

You mentioned having found a workaround. What is that?

Also, out of curiosity, do the files that do not show up include special characters? If so, could you please, as a test rename a file to exclude special characters?

Hi Beka, thanks for answering!

The problem was that when I reached a certain number of albums/songs on my TrueNas dataset that I keep all the music for Roon on (numbers in text above), Roon stopped importing them. If I splitted the albums into more then one dataset, and thus reducing the number of albums per dataset Roon imported them all. So it was nothing about special characters, filename length or similar. I am fine now but I suspect that when I come up to that number of albums/songs in any dataset again, Roon will stop importing them

Br
Staffan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.