Roon stopping or intermittent playback after latest update

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, Intel Core i5-7400 3Ghz 4 cores/roon version 1.7 build 700

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All devices connected via Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Bowers & Wilkins Formation audio connected via Ethernet

Description Of Issue

I’m pretty new to Roon, so basically have everything default in combination with Tidal. All worked fine until I installed the most recent version of Roon. Right after that I got problems: playback stops, sometimes after a couple of seconds, sometimes after a few songs. Sometimes a track is stopped and the next track starts to play.
Luckily I had not cancelled my Spotify account yet, and am using that now from the same pc, to the same audio device without any hickups. But of course, that is not what I want. Can I go back to the previous version of Roon? Or is there something else I can do?

Hi @Frank_Rutten,

Do you have any local files at all? If you start playback on local files do you see the same issue?

No I do not have local files, everything is streamed

Hello @Frank_Rutten, some test files are available here. Could you please download one of these files and let me know if the same issue occurs?

No, I have tried the largest files of every format, and they all play without any problem. Maybe it’s related to my internet connection while streaming and I should start downloading music? It’s just so strange that I never had any problems with streaming until I upgraded Roon.

Hello @Frank_Rutten, this is good information to know! I’d try temporarily disabling your firewall to see if you get a different result. That and switching to Google or Cloudflare DNS to see if that helps!

OK, I will try that. But some additional information: I listen a lot to https://radioparadise.com. That is no problem if I do that directly from my browser and using my pc-speakers. If I listen to it from roon, to play it on my stereo, it cuts out all the time. So that would suggest it’s not a DNS or firewall issue.

I really thought changing DNS settings would help, but after about 30 minutes of play, the problem came back again. I really do not want to turn off my firewall, that’s simply not an option. And again: Spotify an the same pc, no issue. Listening to radioparadise.com in the browser, no issue. Listening to radioparadise.com from roon: problem. Listening to any music from Tidal via roon: problem. Before the last update of roon: no problems.

Hello @Frank_Rutten, could you please reproduce the issue one more time and reply on this thread with a timestamp (the date and time you experience the issue) so I can enable diagnostics for your account?

Hi. Just started playing music on Tidal at 18.36 CET. At 18.37 the playback stopped for a second, then resumed. After a few seconds it stopped and jumped to the next song. Then it stopped completely and had to press play again. After 30 seconds it skipped to the next song etc. One thing that is new, that now I get a pop up message saying something like ‘Tidal data loading too slow, could be a connection problem’. Never seen that one before.

Hello @Frank_Rutten,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Hello @Frank_Rutten, I enabled diagnostics for your core but it looks like it hasn’t connected to our servers in some time. Could you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Sorry, I was waiting for a reply from you. Since Roon is basically unuseable at the moment, I went back to the good old cd-player for now. I will give it a go this evening, since I’m at work right now.

OK just started roon. First song was played and had a hickup after a minute or so. Then a couple of songs went fine, then it stopped. I restarted roon and selected another album. All numbers were skipped one by one, not hearing a single sound. Tried another album: exactly the same. Hopefully you have retrieved enough information to diagnose.

Hello @Frank_Rutten, as I mentioned in my previous message, we’re still having issues pulling diagnostics from your account. Could you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Hi, the problem has been solved. It was something with my ISP and the quality of my internet connection. I swapped to another ISP last week and haven’t had a problem yet.
thanks for the support.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.