Roon stops playing - need tech support

Roon frequently stops playing mid track then skips a few tracks in the que and then just stops altogether. This has been an issue for about a month now after transferring my music to a new ssd USB drive off of my PC running Roon core. All tech suggestions to date have not resolved the issue. I really need some live tech support as this is getting really frustrating.

Are you Tidal? (Or at least the songs that skip), I sometimes get that and I think Tidal is culprit. I have long suggested Roon should give mire info in logs or on screen as to what is happening. Roon knows what happened.

The issue is with the files on my hard drive. Tidal seems to be ok

1 Like

@dylan @noris is it possible to get some help with this request? I know you guys have been terribly busy with the launch but this has been ongoing for over a month now and I’d really love some help to remedy it. I’m a lifetime member and it’s a shame because I have been forced to use other software to listen to music reliably.

Hi @Kerry

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Does the same behavior occur if you play to System Output?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

HP Omen laptop running Windows 10. Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.8GHz. 64 bit operating system and x64 bit processor. 16GB RAM. Roon 1.8 build 756. Samsung SSD T7 touch USB drive.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

EasyConnect22092 router (supplied by local ISP in Toronto). Use Cat6 Ethernet connection for music

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Simaudio 780v2 streamer/DAC connected to router by Cat 6 ethernet cable

The same issue has been occurring across all endpoints.

I just updated the software for my Samsung SSD yesterday and things have been OK since then. Could that be the problem?

Updating the SSD firmware didn’t resolve the issue but it seemed to improve the situation somewhat. It’s still skipping half of the occasional track and jumping to the next but it’s not stopping.

Many years ago I had a USB HDD which threw all kinds of fits when trying to run VMs off it. But normal file transfers were fine. Ultimately I found that drive needed a powered USB HUB to work right. Simple file transfers worked fine but hammering reads off the disk caused power issues at the drive resulting in read errors as the machine was unable to supply enough power over the USB port.

SSD shouldn’t have this issue as you’re not spinning platters but I wouldn’t entirely rule out some kind power issue here. Do you have a powered USB HUB you can try? Did it come with one of those Y cables to pull power from 2 USB ports? Are you using that?

Otherwise does Samsung have some kind of disk check / verify? Would be worth verifying its not a faulty drive.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.