Roon stops repeatedly. no data received for >10000ms. Killing connection

Roon Core Machine

Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS running on 8-Core ESXi VM 32GB RAM, on Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2640 v3 @ 2.60GHz

Roon Version 2.0 (build 1311)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubiquity network set up with a variety of devices.

Roon Core is connected to USW Aggregation (10Gbe) on two VLANs representing two subnets.

Roon Client (MacOS build 1311) is connected via Wifi 802.11ac->UAP-AC-PRO->USW->Lite-8-PoE->USW-Pro-24-PoE->USW Aggregation

Roon Audio Device (Raspberry Pi 3b+ running HifiBerry) is connected via GbE USW->Lite-8-PoE->USW-Pro-24-PoE->USW Aggregation

IGMP Snooping enabled across 2 VLANs/subnets these devices are connected through.

Connected Audio Devices

Raspberry Pi 3b+ running HifiBerry (many other devices, but this is the one with issues)

Number of Tracks in Library

~20,000 tracks

Description of Issue

I haven’t experienced problems in a while with my “office” Roon player configuration, running a Mac Roon client on my ethernet/wifi connected laptop with an original PS Sprout audio device.

My workshop today was terrible though. Dozens of dropped connections in a few hour period.

Each instance begins with:

09/16 17:41:01 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] no data received for >10000ms. Killing connection.

or

09/16 17:26:07 Trace: [raat_ll/client] [System Output] no data received for >10000ms. Killing connection.

Sometimes (but usually not) its preceded by:

09/16 17:10:50 Warn: [Shop HIFI] [zoneplayer/raat] long rtt sync HiFiBerry Digi+: realtime=595373532709 rtt=540500us offset=-59585467us delta=-540573us drift=-537693us in 594.305s (-904.743ppm, -3257.073ms/hr)

The disconnects happen with local FLAC files, Tidal and Qobuz.

I upgrading the software on the HifiBerry endpoint, and the behavior persists.

The audio device has a static IP and is wired on GbE.

I have verified that there is zero packet loss between the Roon Core and the HifiBerry endpoint every time there is a disconnect. I’m using the following command on the Roon core BEFORE I hit play after an interruption, and get stats AFTER the next interruption occurs. Average ping is 0.8ms and max is usually 2.0ms.

ping -q 10.41.40.45
PING 10.41.40.45 (10.41.40.45) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
— 10.41.40.45 ping statistics —
283 packets transmitted, 283 received, 0% packet loss, time 287506ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.401/0.757/1.823/0.171 ms

I’ve verified uplink/downlink bandwidth at ~400Mbps between the Roon Core and my client Mac with iperf3, which share the same network connection to the Roon Core. I was not able to get iperf3 installed on the HifiBerry to do the test directly to the audio device.

I’d love to never have to debug this again.

I’m sure you know that neither VMs nor subnets are an officially supported configuration. I suspect mods will move this to #tinkering.

The fancy network configuration is where I would look if I were you :slight_smile: And I see Roon support pointed at this in your older thread as well. Did you ever get to the root of the older issue?

1 Like

Packets are packets, compute is compute, and Enterprise setups just give you more control over them.

Sure, and more options to block or misconfigure them

2 Likes

Reviewing the Advanced Networking Best Practices I’ll also note:

• Flow control is enabled on my network
  • There is no throttling on my network
  • The switch is configured to pass multicast and broadcast traffic (Multicast DNS checked, on Unifi Network portal - don’t see other configuration options)
  • IGMP Snooping is enabled

Additionally:

• IPv6 support was enabled, but I have disabled it as the first step in troubleshooting this current problem (none of my devices are configured for IPv6 anyway)
  • My Roon server has two network adapters which are connected to the two subnets I’m using. It appears to bind and report its connected to my 10GBe subnet (the one I use most of the time) via the “Roon Core” IP address reported in Settings->General

However, I can see in RAATServer_log.txt that it definitely is using both interfaces:

9/17 06:44:51 Info: [discovery] [iface:ens160:10.41.40.10] multicast recv socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:9003
9/17 06:44:51 Info: [discovery] [iface:ens160:10.41.40.10] multicast send socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:38512
9/17 06:44:51 Info: [discovery] [iface:ens192:10.41.41.10] multicast recv socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:9003
9/17 06:44:51 Info: [discovery] [iface:ens192:10.41.41.10] multicast send socket is bound to 0.0.0.0:37650

1 Like

@Chris_Lewicki, as @Suedkiez notes, VLANs are not a supported Roon configuration. I have moved this to the Tinkering category where other users who may have similar experience and configurations can offer ideas.

Have you tried running Ropiee? I use it on a Pi 3B+ with a HiFiBerry DAC+ and have no issues. Of course my network setup is trivially simple, but it would rule out HiFiBerryOS as the culprit.

I turned off IPv6 support on my network, and also removed the ChromeCast Ultra (which shared the network switch with my HifiBerry and Wifi basestation for the Roon client.

Was able to play several hours of music, across local FLAC files, Tidal and Qobuz without any problems.

I re-enabled IPv6 and put the Chromecast back on the network and continued for several more hours without issue.

Will keep watching for the above, and will probably just remove the Chromecast in response for further diagnosis.

This may not be related, but I had a bit of a torrid time running Roon on a QNAP which had multiple IP addresses due to various virtual docker networks which were running on the QNAP. The Roon binary was running native on the server, not under Docker.

I’m also using Unifi but I don’t think that was the problem. I think the problem was that Roon didn’t like the fact that it could “see” multiple networks and adapters on the OS. It behaved similarly to yours - random music stops, UI hangs etc.

As soon as I moved Roon into a docker container of its own where it was segregated from all the other virtual networks and could only see it’s own IP and adapter, all the problems went away immediately.

As I say this might not be directly related, but you could try installing Roon in a docker container to see if it helps.

My issue was detailed in this thread.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.