NETGEAR GS116LP - Switch
Ethernet
No VPN

Connected Audio Devices

SOtM SMS-200 ->USB->T+A DAC200

Number of Tracks in Library

72,873 tracks

Description of Issue

I made a comment on LinkedIn that Roon Radio was not always very accurate. They suggested that I use the thumbs down button and then give the reason for the thumbs down on the popup window but I don’t get the popup window when I hit thumbs down.

The options that they showed that should be available are “I don’t like this track”, “I don’t want to hear this right now”, and “This doesn’t fit”.

These options are not available to me and I don’t remember ever seeing them.

The thumbs up/down buttons are for adding / not adding a song to the upcoming queue. It’s maybe not the best visual metaphor for that. You can build up an upcoming queue by clicking it repeatedly and if you know a song and don’t like it, don’t add it by clicking thumbs down.

There’s a pop you get when a song is playing and you skip it, there you can tell Roon why you skipped it.
That’s a tiny input to the Roon algorithm, so you won’t screw up anything for yourself forever if you do that.

Here’s a discussion with info by Roon staff on how this works:

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I do use the thumbs up and down already. My concern is that I don’t get the popup after I click the thumbs down which means that Roon isn’t getting the reasoning for my thumbs down. Trying to figure out how I can get that to show up.

The thumbs don’t produce a popup as far as I know. They only decide if you want to add a track to the upcoming queue or not, and in the background this also produces feedback for the algorithm.

You get the popup of you skip a playing track

That could be part of the confusion. I see now in the image they sent me that they skipped the track as you suggested. How are you skipping the track to make that popup happen? I’ve hit the next track button and clicked a track father down the queue to try to get the popup but I’m still not seeing it.

It should happen if you click the next track button :next_track_button: in the Play bar at the bottom of the screen, to the right of the play :arrow_forward: button

But only if you are playing Roon Radio

Ok. That’s what I was trying. I started radio and skipped tracks, both that were suggested by Roon and tracks that I had given a thumbs up to. Neither caused the popup to open.

When I give a Thumbs Down on the queue screen, it produces the popup. Thumbs Up adds it to the queue with no popup.

Right, true, I forgot about that.
Skipping a track should bring it up too, though, as far as I recall. All of this was discussed in much detail in the linked thread, in case I forgot things :slight_smile:

So clearly there’s something wrong with my Roon operation. I’ll try to reinstall the OS and let you know if it fixes the problem.

What device are you using? Roon Remote on Android/iOS smartphones or ARC don’t show the drop-down list of choices when skipping tracks. This only appears on Roon on PC/Mac (and possibly tablets) AFAIK.

1 Like

I’ve been testing this morning on the PC app.

The popup works pretty consistently on my iPad.

Reinstalled. Still no popup. I’ll try on a tablet later.

What is the spec of your PC (and graphics hardware) and version of Windows that you are using? And build numbers of Roon of your Core and PC?

-AMD Ryzen 7 4800U with Radeon Graphics 1.80 GHz
-Windows 11 Pro Build 22621.1555
-16gb DDR4 RAM

-Roon 2.0 Build 1259 listed for both core and PC

Hmm - doesn’t seem anything untoward there. It’s odd that you’re not seeing the options when you skip to the next track while a track is playing on your PC. You should see something like this:

I’ll remove the “solved” flag so that @support will be alerted. They may need to pull logs from your system for investigation.

They sent me a photo of that popup on Linkedin as well but I don’t know that I’ve ever seen that and I’ve been using Roon for several years. Appreciate the help. Do you know how this was marked solved?

I clicked the Solved flag, because from the first few posts in the thread I thought that you in a different scenario. I’ve removed the flag now.

@Forrestland So I tried this here now.

1. Started Roon Radio from an album:

2. Waited for the first Roon Radio track to end. 30 seconds before the end of the current track I get the thumbs popup for the next upcoming song. Note that for getting this popup you have to enable Settings > Setup > Enable Roon Radio Notifications:

3. This is the popup, asking me for the reason and giving me the option to add another track instead with thumbs up/down:

4. Even if Settings > Setup > Enable Roon Radio Notifications is off, you get the thumbs by clicking the Queue button in the Play bar (1. in the below screenshot) which gets you to the Queue page (2. in the screenshot) and then you have the thumbs at the bottom (3. in the screenshot):

5. The other option without using the thumbs is to skip the current track by clicking the Next button on the Play Bar…

… which should give you this popup: