Roon TUI: A Roon Remote for the terminal - New: Zone Presets (v0.3.1)

I now have Roon TUI running on Solus Budgie Desktop, I installed both the rust packages, namely Rust and Rustup, then did the following in terminal:

cd /opt/local/dev
git clone https://github.com/TheAppgineer/roon-tui
cd roon-tui
cargo run

Play / Pause could have a more purposeful keybinding, such as <SPACE> or CTRL + <SPACE>?
Could quit have a more purposeful keybinding? Q will most likely not be optimum, perhaps CTRL + C is the best for now?

Bringing this back here, because it’s no longer a RoonBridge issue. Not directly at least…

Starting music in the RoonBridge zone with a remote roon device, while logged off, did not work a workaround after all. Not only is pausing in Roon TUI not possible, , volume cannot be controlled by the PC keyboard, nor Roon TUI. Must be a Roon remote. So for me, what’s the point?

In desperation tried the Squeezelite workaround, and everything looks great, all except that there is no sound coming out of the speakers. Can’t even get sound if I use a Roon remote to change the volume. This is what I did…

• You can play through e.g. youtube?
  • Did you disable roonbridge: systemctl --now disable roonbridge
  • Do you see the squeezelite device in roon remote?
  • What is the output of squeezelite -l

You should have sth. like
default - Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server

If you run ps aux |grep squeezelite you should see it running with you userid, not as root.

As the same counts for Roon TUI, I suggest that you create a separate thread for this.

In general global keybindings, those that work independent of the active view, cannot use a single character key. In a pre-release state I used ‘q’ to quit, but then I implemented search and wanted to support a search for Queen as well :slight_smile: .

Ctrl-Space could work for Play / Pause, is this a binding used in other media applications?

I usually use <SPACE> for play / pause in all such applications. Using CTRL <SPACE> appears more intuitive than CTRL P to me.

Hi there.

I run roon-tui, roon bridge and also watch videos etc on my linux desktop that has pulseaudio and it works fine without stopping services by using pavucontrol, a GUI for pulse.

To get roonbridge to output over ALSA you just need to set the audio output you want to use to ‘off’ in the configuration tab of pavucontrol.

HTH

1 Like

Thx, that simple! If you search for “turn off pulseaudio” you find all sort of useless or outdated hints.
Downside is that you have to turn it off and on each time you use roon or sth else.

Version 0.0.6 of Roon TUI is now available!

This is the biggest update Roon TUI has had till this point. I hope the new features turn out to be useful.

Re-select your profile!

The first time you run version 0.0.6 you should go to Settings → Profile in the Browse View to re-select the profile you want to use. This is a one time action resulting from the reliance on the multi-session keys of the Roon API. Without this step the default (first created) profile will be used!

Queue Modes

This release introduces, what I called, Queue Modes. Queue Modes are used to keep the music going when the queue runs out of music. The Queue Mode every Roon user is familiar with is Roon Radio, where Roon adds tracks to the queue based on the last played track and its algorithms.

Roon TUI adds two more modes, which you might know from my Random Radio extension, being Random Album and Random Track. These modes add a random album or track from your library to the queue, just before the queue runs out. By starting playback on an empty queue, while in one of the random modes, the random selection starts off.

Queue Modes are selected with Ctrl-q.

Head over to the project README for the details.

More global keybindings

Global keybindings are added for volume control, previous and next track, queue mode control etc. Check the updated list in the project README.

Changelog

• Use multi_session_key in Browse
  • Implement Roon Radio as a Queue Mode
  • Prepare for additional Queue Modes
  • Implement Random Album and Random Track Queue Modes
  • Implement a hack for clearing the Queue
  • Implement Play action for Random Album/Track
  • Fix bug in Queue Mode initialization
  • Update Ratatui to v0.23.0
  • Implement Queue Mode append action
  • Add global keybindings for Volume, Next, Prev, Queue Mode Append
  • Update to rust-roon-api 0.0.6
  • Update README to version 0.0.6 status

Hi Jan I thought I would give this another go and see if it finds my core, but sadly no luck.

Thought I would try the Linux Version in Ubuntu on Windows and while it runs it has the same issue of No Core found, so suggesting that it is something to do with my environment.
I will wait and see if anyone else has this and manages to have this and fix it.

Morning Michael

Did you enable it in Extensions.

If previously added, you may need to click View and remove it.

Then do it all again.

This happened a few times for me but was resolved quickly.

:innocent:

1 Like

Hi Lewis and thanks for your input :+1:

It never shows up in extensions and both the Windows version and Linux version start up instantly which makes me think that it isn’t finding the Core.

I have also exited Roon and gone back in to Settings->Extensions just in case multiple times.

I also disabled the firewall to test this

Any additional thoughts just let me know

Wasn’t much input, just read through your posts in this thread and I can see you knew this :man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

I feel you are not destined for the Roon TUI experience. Come to the darkside and ditch Windowz :smiling_imp:

In the meantime, could you fill in the support template :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

2 Likes

Ha ha your input is 100% appreciated… Right up to this point :rofl:

This machine is my dbPoweramp Ripping station which I want to keep on Windows as it goes through a lot of CD’s each month.
I have a Mac Mini M1 and a couple of Raspberry Pi’s and a fairly fast non Raspberry Pi single board computer that I sometimes use as a desktop device. When I find some time I will try both and run from source on the SB device as that is a cool device.

Just going through the motions now. Hit with a Trojan report on my Win PC.

Still tinkering. Report shortly

Yes I have reported this to Jan before and it looks to be a Windows Defender alert on the Zip file
Doesn’t happen with the exe though, so a bit strange.

I did upload it to VirusTotal last time with no real issues found (2/71 gave warnings).

1 Like

I disabled virus protection

Downloaded

Extracted

Ran as admin

Authorised in Roon

(For clarity, this is on my Windows Roon Server machine. So that could be why I’m having success)

:man_shrugging:

Shall we try again :crazy_face:

1 Like

I have tried that multiple times, and it makes no difference.
That is why I think it is something in my environment.
Roon runs perfectly on these machines.

Just tried it again just to appease you :grinning:

Outcome the same as before :thinking:

1 Like

Roon Extensions. Does anything show under the View tab?

I do admit my Win PC is only just running Roon Server, Media Player open for auto CD ripping (for ease).

Firewall active at all times.

Must be something in your environment as you say. Bloody Welsh slate mountains I think :grin:

I’ll try and break my setup to help you

1 Like

This is what I love about this forum :grin:

Makes me think how many times I have broken my iFi Stream for fellow users :thinking:

Only my usual extensions.

1 Like