Roon UI always opens with 'Add your music' --> 'Add Music Service' --> 'Set up your audio devices'

Roon Core Machine

2012 Mac Mini, core i7, 8GB RAM running Roon Server (headless)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired 1000Base-T, Ubiquiti switches, ER-X Router

Connected Audio Devices

USB → Mytek Brooklyn DAC
Other devices / Zones → System Output

Number of Tracks in Library

10476 Tracks

Description of Issue

Since the last major update to 1.8, when opening the Roon UI on any device, it always opens with the ‘Add your music’ → ‘Add Music Service’ → ‘Set up your audio devices’ setup screens. !Everyone! !single! !time! when I open the app on MacOS, IOS and Android I have to go through this process.

I haven’t had time to raise this issue here until now, but I was hoping this would be resolved in an update, but even with the latest (931) build, nope, it is still occurring. No matter how many times I close and reopen the app, same thing. I’ve also tried rebooting the Mac Mini and killing and restarting Roon Server, but this simply triggers the same process when the client reconnects.

Also, with the 931 update, clicking on ‘Settings’ in the MacOS app now has a 50/50 (maybe higher) chance of the app crashing outright… reopening the app triggers the above process all over again. I’m seeing this crash consistently across other Macs including when opening ‘Roon’ on the Roon Server Mac. I have not been able to recreate this crash in the IOS or Android app.

Hi @mrvco,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing this problem with all your Remotes. I have just a few clarifying questions about your setup so the tech support team can help resolve this issue most efficiently.

Would you mind telling me the model of Ubiquiti switch you’re using? I see in an older post you’d mentioned your Core is hardwired to the router. Is that still the case?

Once we know those details we’ll proceed from there with troubleshooting.

Which Mac operating system(s) are you running when you experience this crash? There’s a chance this crash is related to an issue we’re investigating in another thread, where we’ll be providing updates.

1 Like

@connor The Roon Core Mac is connected to a USW-Flex-Mini switch, which is connected to and powered by a USW-16-PoE switch.

The Mac Mini running Roon Server has MacOS 10.15.7 (latest available release for this h/w).

1 Like

To rule out any issues with my existing Layer2 network, I connected the 2012 Mini running Roon Server to an un-managed 5-port D-Link switch and connected another Mac running the Roon UI. I restarted Roon Server and when opening the Roon app on the client machine, I’m having the same issue where I have to go through the ‘Add your music’ dialog appearing after opening the Roon app on the client machine.

Hi @mrvco,

Our sincere apologies for the delay here, but the team has had a chance to dig in and review some backend diagnostics from your setup.

There were consistent errors on Roon startup associated with mounting an external storage device named “ThimbleNAS” in logs. I suspect there’s some clutter in your database which we might need to clear up.

06/14 11:11:56 Info: [broker/locations/directorystoragelocation] initializing FileBrowser.Entry: \\ThimbleNAS, Roon Library : \AAC, drive availability is: False
06/14 11:11:56 Info: [broker/locations/directorystoragelocation] drive is not available so disposing resources (if they exist): FileBrowser.Entry: \\ThimbleNAS, Roon Library : \AAC

Are you using any NAS device in this setup? I didn’t see any mention in your initial post, so I’m assuming this is a carryover setting from a previous instance. A few things you can do:

1. Go to Settings → Storage and reset your watched folders. Disable anything no longer in use.

2. You can refresh the database manually:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup
1 Like

Hi @mrvco,

I wanted to check in - are you still experiencing issues with the UI and library?

We’re here to assist if so. Otherwise, I’ve set a topic timer for this thread to close in two weeks, so we can keep the forums up-to-date. Please open a new topic thread if you continue to experience the issue and find this thread has closed.

This topic was automatically closed after 9 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Reopening this awaiting further information from the op.

1 Like

@mrvco
Regarding your message that this thread should not have been closed.
I have reopened it for now so please add any relevant further information I assume you have that is pertinent to the thread.
Thank you.

Nuking the database seems to have corrected the problem. I did not try restoring from the backup since I hadn’t made any edits since having an unrelated database corruption issue after a previous update (1.6 iirc).

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.