QNAP TS 251 running the latest software and firmware, Celeron 8Gb RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear 5 -port unmanaged switch, ethernet to all devices

Connected Audio Devices

Meridian 218 zone controller

Number of Tracks in Library

28,163 tracks

Description of Issue

This issue is for @noris and refers to my previous post which can be found here: Cannot install Roon core
The issue of my SSD collapsing down to 16MB and rendering Roon unusable has reappeared. The solution you gave me worked for a few days. Without warning however, and with nothing changed at all, Roon stopped working with the error “there is a problem loading your library”.
Having had this issue for a while I decided to take the SSD off my QNAP and connect it to my Windows PC and access it from the server using the remote mount procedure. This worked perfectly for a couple of hours and the the issue reappeared again. By this point, having had the SSD attached to the server and then the windows PC with the same problem showing up on both, I decided it had to be a faulty SSD. A new one was therefore obtained under warranty after the problem was described to the people at Integral Memory and it was set up with the Roon database, attached to the PC and remote mounted. All was well and it worked under test. A few hours later I tried to listen to music and in the intervening hours the same problem had emerged. The Roon database location on the core was shown correctly but the size of the drive was reported as being 16MB. At the very same moment that drive was reporting correctly within windows as 120GB. I even tried a 64GB USB stick at one point, loaded up the Roon database and ran Roon from there. It worked for a couple of hours but during playback the music simply stopped dead. On checking the Roon app on my core, the size of the stick was now reported as being 16MB, not 64GB.
What I am doing now, because it is the only way I can stably run Roon, is to have the database on one of the spinning disks in my QNAP server. Roon has now been running like that for about three weeks without a hitch and the access time is not noticeably slower than it was using the SSD. The artwork on the remotes sometimes builds less than instantly but that’s not a major concern.
This looks like some kind of bug within Roon as I have tried various combinations of hardware setup and none of them was stable. The only common factor throughout was Roon itself. I did entertain the idea that the Integral Memory SSD may be incompatible with Roon in some way but that doesn’t explain the issue showing up when I used a USB stick to do the job. The whole point at the moment being that Roon is happy to run from my spinning disks but if I ask it to use an SSD, it falls over pretty quickly.

Hi @noris
Are there no updates on this issue?

Hi @Alan_McMillan ,

I am checking with the team on this one, we will revert to you once we discuss the issue.

:+1: Thanks @noris

Hey @Alan_McMillan,

Ben here stepping in for Noris while he is out of office.

Following up on your issue (and it is an odd one!) we’d be curious to see how things perform when the drive is formatted to something other than exFAT - and see if the same issue persists.

Thanks!

Hi @benjamin

I tried that approach by formatting the drive in NTFS. It made no difference.

Alan

Any updates to this issue @benjamin?
Just really asking in order to keep this topic open.

Hey @Alan_McMillan,

I apologize for the lack of reply to your issue! It’s an odd one that our team has yet to reproduce. I unfortunately don’t have any next steps to share with you yet, but our development team is aware of the issue and has a ticket in to investigate further.

Hi @benjamin
Thanks for that. I thought I ought to tell you, just as an illustration of the change that took place after my SSD was removed from the picture, that since the Roon database was installed on the QNAP’s spinning disks at the beginning of August, it has never once been a problem and has run flawlessly, if a little bit slowly. At least I can use the system without having to fault find every few hours!

Hi @benjamin
Just asking if these’s any update here to keep this topic live.

Hi @benjamin
Just asking again if these’s any update here to keep this topic live.

Hi @benjamin
Any progress on this ticket?

Hi @Alan_McMillan,

Our team has still not been able to reproduce this issue in-house. There is some speculation that the 16 MB size is due to formatting the disk with a windows or mac computer, which then also created a boot EFI or MSR partition which is then falsely mounted on the qnap.

Outside of that, movement is slow on this issue, unfortunately.

Hi @benjamin
Thanks for the update. I’m afraid that’s not the reason. I originally formatted this SSD on the QNAP and did so several times as a way of trying to get to the bottom of this so there was no Windows boot partition involved. Only after I failed to solve the problem did I try formatting it on my Windows PC. Besides, formatting an external drive in Windows does not make it bootable by default. That option has to be deliberately chosen and has to be handled by third party software like Rufus. The idea that a 16Mb boot partition is being falsely mounted on the QNAP also doesn’t explain why the true 128Gb size is reported to begin with and can work for up to several hours before finally collapsing down to 16Mb.

Thanks for the info @Alan_McMillan, perhaps @crieke may be able to provide additional clarity here.