Roon vs. ARC poll

Using your phone to play music to your car is not illegal anywhere!!!

ARC determines the bandwidth based on the setting on the ARC app. For files on the core, the core will transcode as necessary. For Tidal and Qobuz, the ARC app requests the appropriate quality from the service, based on the setting on the ARC app:

Section What do the playback quality settings mean? in this article:

I typically select/play an album from my library on my home Nucleus before driving and let Roon take it from there and enjoy the ride and never touch my phone again until I get home. Love it, don’t hate it.

Playing isn’t, but choosing a track or album for playing is, if you do it on the phone. That’s the whole point of CarPlay and Auto, to enable operation via the controls that are built into the car

Nobody hates it, I was just correcting what was an incorrect statement

Here is is illegal to handle (touch) your phone while driving, even stopped at a red light. Playing music from an attached phone using controls on a CarPlay enabled unit is not.

1 Like

I don’t see in this doc where it states that streams are delivered to ARC directly from the streaming service. My expectation was that the handshaking of that and switching back and forth between the two flows was kind of pointlessly complex.

It says things like Tidal: ARC will request CD quality FLAC from TIDAL. Qobuz: ARC will request CD quality FLAC from Qobuz. Not “The core requests” or similar

In any case it was discussed many times, including in the testing area. You may choose to believe me or not, or search the forum yourself :man_shrugging:

I don’t “choose to believe anything”… I am happy with the truth!

For me the only weak point in using ARC is to keep my IMAC on stand by when i am far from home…therefore i use Qobuz or Tidal or my own music on sdcard when i away …i use ROON 2.0 only at home and i really enjoy it since i gave up Audirvarna some months ago …

Yes, but you can’t be sure if I’m telling it :wink: I’m trying to the best of my knowledge

1 Like

using both Roon 2.0 and Arc extensively?

The obvious problem with this silly poll is it has a negative bias toward Roon 2.0 and Roon ARC. You didn’t include options for:

O Are using Roon 2.0 features; Roon ARC once in a while;

O Are using Roon 2.0 features; Roon ARC frequently;

1 Like

Nope, the other way. Tidal app stops telling me that I am listening on Roon. Same was when I was using Yamaha RN303 that had tidal build in musiccast, the phone app stoped telling me I listen on Yamaha. I think it is the same for the tidal os app

Actually, with ARC Tidal and Qobuz stream go straight from the service to the device. You core is not in the path.

That’s what Discogs is for though tbh.
Totally invaluable app/tool.

Although I agree it does seem like Arc with a bit of work can accomplish a similar task, a nice bonus.

2 Likes

Still trying to sort out the differences.

But overalll like ARC

Here’s a +1 for using both extensively!

Then - as I have none - are people streaming local files from home via ARC having issues or is everything just fine?

Oh, if you have local files then they stream from your home core.