Roon vs. ARC poll

I have been streaming local files via Arc today just fine and dandy.

1 Like

For sure :wink: - was asking about the quality. Ok or see people quality issue due to typical slow upload bandwidth of the home internet feed?

Actually a really good design. Circumventing possible problems with low upload speed home ISP feeds and - more importantly - saving energy as only one transfer is needed rather than two (Tidal → Roon at home → ARCed mobile).

Exactly. I tried for many, many hours to get ARC to work but it just doesn’t see my core despite port forwarding, static IPs etc, etc. I would love to use ARC but I don’t want to spend any more time changing router settings. Enough is enough.

Well what I am suggesting, adding a “vinyl” tag to albums, gives you now the ability to browse your physical collection on the same platform that you’re listening to music digitally, with all the metadata linking to other releases that you might want to tag as “vinyl I want to buy”, etc, and all of that available anywhere. I don’t think Discogs is as convenient in that sense, for this usecase.

I am using both Roon 2.0 and Arc extensively

Using both Roon 2.0 and Arc extensively

As I use Roon all day, and as soon as I step out the house I’m using ARC, it’s not one or the other. :+1:t2:

• I will consider adding another tag indicating the physical location of that vinyl record at home (I just blew your mind didn’t I?) And you could do the same with your CDs (blew your mind again you say???)

After years of failed rehearsals, it’s the best method i’ve found to manage a physical collection of my albums. The problem of organizing a non-static collection where i add new CDs every week is keeping the order (alphabetical? By album? By artist? By genre?).

In the end, i decided not to do any of this. I’ve shelves with dividers that hold approximately 30/40 cd’s. Every new cd i add it to the first available space and to the ripped files i add the location tag (ex: “A-1”, “C-10”, “B-7” …).
Looking at an album in Roon / ARC, in 10 seconds i found the physical album in my library

3 Likes

Exactly what I have in mind! Glad it works in practice.

Now we need someone to code up an extension to take a list of albums from say Discogs and add the “Vinyl” tag to them. Then we can go by hand and add “Vinyl:B-5” say.

1 Like

I would vote as well for extensively using Roon AND Roon ARC - because I do :+1:. The introduction of roon ARC is a great step forward for me. With that I can access my whole music collection at any place. This feature would already be worth to buy the roon license - but I already have a live license :wink:.
There are two thing which I am missing in roon ARC:
-The radio stations are not listed and
-why not treating roon ARC as an additional playback zone - so I would be able to switch my played program smoothly between “home” and “away from home”

ME Too!! Love the 2.0/ARC combo!

Using both Roon 2.0 and ARC extensively.
and since ARC came, using Roon much much more than before, because its all integrated now, and dont have to use different platforms when outside or at home. So happy about this!

I am only using Roon for its DSP function. All my music comes from Qobuz. ARC is of no interest to me.

Yet, you haven’t opened a thread in ARC: Port Forwarding Help. Do this and you will receive assistance.

OK Martin, I have opened a thread and asked for assistance. I will report back here with the results.

Love the vinyl tagging idea. I’m going to do it :+1:

1 Like

Actually via ARC Tidal and Qobuz do not go through the core for playback only for the library side. It’s a direct stream to what ARC is running on from Tidal or Qobuz . It uses the same login and Authentication as the core so does not stop playback from those services on the core. If you play via Tidal app it will stop playback in Roon as it always has as you can only play to one device at a time, Roon counts as one device regardless of how many zones you have including ARC.

I use both 2.0 and ARC extensively. No going back for me.

1 Like

Can’t say that is the case for me. Right now, I’m streaming the same song in Roon and Tidal. I’ve also tried different songs.

I can even load the Tidal app on my phone and play a different song there too. So, that’s 3 different streams…
I’m not sure if this is due to being on the top tier sub…? (Just checked Tidal, and it seems you can use only x1 online device. Well, I’m not complaining about being able to play Roon/Tidal at the same time, not that I would anyway…)

2 Likes

Interesting test.

I wonder if it has to do with some form of authentication token that is shared. After all you don’t have to log into Tidal or Qobuz on ARC.

In fact, I wonder if it works for Tidal but not Qobuz.

What plan do you have?A Family plan allows you to, but standard has always stopped for me. Used to annoy the hell out of the misses when I used it out of the car. Maybe they have changed to allow more devices?

They seem to have changed as yes I can know play via either at same time. So they must have changed their t&c. That’s a good thing.

It’s appears you can play to 2 but no more as playback stopped on one when I attempted to play on another