Roon vs. ARC poll

I’m on the HiFi Plus (Family), but I’m obviously only using one account to test this. I only found out by accident as I had both apps open at the same time.

I’ve learnt to always know that SWMBO is always right… :rofl:

They must’ve, so no complaints my end.

Only 2 though. I got this on webplayer when I started another stream via their app via connect on my Atom. Arc was playing from Tidal and that continued.

1 Like

Hey, well, that’s better than one!

1 Like

For me the other way around, Tidal phone app or computer app plays for 5 secs than stops telling me I listen on Roon. Same was when I was using music cast on Yamaha from tidal

Same

1 Like

I fall in this category.

I can easily say that I am using primarily ARC due to listening the music while at work.
It’s very often 8 hours a day.
Game changer for me.

2 Likes

Yes, did the same, tagged my vinyl just in case I stumble on something I must buy…but I’ve already got. I’ve also got the same info in Discogs too. Call me paranoid if you want :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No. I am an audiophile and listen only to my main system at home.

1 Like

For me, Roon is the interface to music that Tidal ought to offer, but for some reason does not. I have only a very small local collection of music.
I’d love to be able to use ARC, but having to stream my music through my home is not acceptable. We’re trying to preserve power here. Having to run equipment 24/7 in case I want to listen to music on the go does not seem like the right solution. Given the choice, I prefer using the native Tidal app.

1 Like

I agree, I use 2.0 when I am home and ARC whenever I am away from home.

A so called “audiophile” can listen to lossless high resolution music using Roon ARC. Set both WIFI and cellular to “Original format” and turn off volume leveling. Use an external DAC and good quality cable and headphones.

3 Likes

As it seems with every Roon upgrade my Roon playback becomes unstable. Music stops mid song (completely hardwired system). Hopefully it will settle down, 1.8 did.

I love ARC. All that great Hawaiian music I have back home on my server plays just fine 2600 miles over the ocean to my phone and bluetooth speaker while sitting on the lanai in …Hawaii.

Quit different from the old days of making that custom road trip cassette tape for an adventure down Baja.

Thank you Roonlabs engineers.

Me too. 2.0 at home and ARC away from home.

ARC has become my go to player now in the car. I drive a lot for work and I find it easy to download albums to listen to.

Hello Shankha,
I am using both Roon 2.0 et ARC extensively. I should complete by saying that ARC is working very well even on a TGV (fast train in France) where the 4G level is going up and down regularly.
It’s a very good work done by ROON development teams and I should admit that I am pleased to have a lifetime subscription :wink:

Yes you can

Actually I want to raise the maybe obvious question… why would I need to choose? I thought this could have been made seamless on the same app and it would switch to whatever mode depending on where I am in terms of local network availability?

The reason I seldom use the ARC is that I cannot cast from my ARC App to Chromecast at work.
I have a nice setup at work but do not want (nor can I) connect my phone directly to the tube amp that I have. It is a small and modest set up at work. No critical listening done there.

Is there a plan to add such a feature?

The networking requirements of ARC are completely different and Roonlabs have said that for version 1 it was much easier to implement ARC separately and to get it to market earlier. However, there are also arguments in favor of a unified app and it may (or may not) merge in future versions

Don’t plan on upgrading my hardware to accommodate the latest and greatest Roon.