Roon will not connect

I’m experiencing the exact same issue.

My streamer is an Innuos Zen mini which I already configured as a Roon Core in it’s own settings. However when I attempt to play my songs (saved or streamed) nothing is played even though this device is enabled in the AUDIO section. This was not happening four days ago.

This issue started last night when I was informed there was a problem with Roon’s servers so user account information was not being verified.

Even though the server/streamer appears connected in my network [as yours does], it appears that the Roon remote app simply wont connect. I hear nothing.

So, as per your screenshot, I played along and chose another core, which I don’t have. This forced me to reconfigure everything all over again.

With no resolution to the problem.

The reason I’m posting here is because there might be a persistent problem on Roon’s end.
But, if not, and the problem I’m experiencing is unique to me. I will gladly open another thread.

Thank you

Unless Roon specifically indicate it’s always best to create your own support topic.

Hi,

The Roon @support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem. hence I split out your topic.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup and the nature of the issue using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they have a clear understanding of how your devices are connected.

Hey @Javier_Hernandez,

Ben with the support team here. Since a few days have passed, I wanted to check in and see if you’re still running into issues? As @Carl mentioned, we’ll need full details on your entire setup to better understand your system.

Please fill out the below information:

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

Hi Benjamin:

Roon Core Machine:
Innuos Zen mini mk3 - in settings I can choose Zen mini as core, player or run Squeezebox (experimental) as player

Networking Gear & Setup Details:
TP-LINK AX 6000 (ethernet cat8) → Etherregen (ethernet cat 6) → Zen mini. No wifi.

Connected Audio Devices:
Zen mini (USB) → Audio-Gd DI20 DDC (I2s) → Audio Mirror Toubador III DAC (RCA) → Decware Torri Jr ver2

Number of Tracks in Library:

Description of Issue:
The Zen mini, running Sense ver. 2.0, gives me the option of using it as a core or player. When I choose the first option nothing is heard even though the ROON app (Apple iPad pro) progress bar indicates that the audio track is streaming/playing. I have not used the mini as simply a player.
However I was able to get excellent playback using the third option in the menu: Zen mini as core and Squeezebox (experimental) as player. I am also selecting the DSP option to upsample (2X and 4X) with great results.
I understand that the Zen mini is quite limited as a core device and a player combination. Not sure if that’s causing the problem. Therefore I’m planning to add either a NUC or a Nucleus server and then connect it to the Zen mini and use it as simply the player.
Any suggestions or advise will be greatly appreciated :blush:.

The other issue that I’ve had is the fact that I am forced to choose another core when attempting to connect using the ROON app from another device.
I managed to get the app to work in my IPad pro tablet but when I installed the app on my android smartphone (Samsung) I couldn’t simply login to my ROON account and do the connection to my Zen mini (running it as the core or using the Squeezebox player). It repeatedly told me to choose another core, which I don’t have, and reconfigure everything.
This happened repeatedly so I simply uninstalled the app from my phone :cry:.

Hey @Javier_Hernandez,

Thanks for the update. To confirm, you are attempting to set up your Zen mini both as a Roon core, and as an endpoint for audio playback? And while the Zen mini can function as a core, you are not able to get playback from the system output?

With that, you’re not able to select the zen mini from your android device? If possible, could you share a screenshot of your android device when searching for the core?

Lastly, to better dig into your issue, we’ll need to enable diagnostic on your account to review your roon logs. Please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

We’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

Today I was able to log in to my ROON account with the app on my android phone. I was then able to verify that the core I had set up and got working in my Zen mini settings (Squeezelite) appeared and worked. So no more trying to setup a new core, etc… That was a relief :grin:
However the original issue is still there: the Zen mini as a core and a player fails repeatedly. I get no sound. Even after going through the steps indicated in the Troubleshooting section below (see attached image). In the image you’ll see it as the first option in my ROON integration section of the Innuos Zen app.
The good news is that I’m able to play/stream music if I choose the third option: ROON Core with Squeezelight player.
Not sure what’s causing the problem. Sound wise I don’t know which core/player would be better. That’s my only concern until I can purchase a more powerful core device which I can use with the Zen mini as my ROON player (second option as shown in the image)
As far as connecting to it remotely, I will have it ready. Just tell me when.

Much appreciated :blush:

Hey @Javier_Hernandez,

I’m glad to hear you’ve managed to set up a decent way to listen to music for now. Sorry for any confusion, we enable diagnostics on our end to take a look into your account. There is no remote shared connection with this process.

Please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

1 Like

Hi Benjamin:
Got it. Thanks for letting me know.
For some reason I’m having all sorts of problems getting my Zen mini to play with ROON.
So, the Squeezebox option works at times but its quite erratic. Sometimes it works and others it doesn’t.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with my network. I can stream and play local music files all day long if I use the built in Innuos Sense app.
However getting Roon to work has been an absolute nightmare.
In order to facilitate the process, I decided to purchase a dedicated nuc computer to install Roon as a core. It’s extremely fast and I’m just using it to run the Roon software as the core.
I changed the setting in my Zen mini to only run as a player and have this new computer serve the music, either local files or streaming.
For some reason, I get no sound/music playing. I’ve checked the data stream in Roon and it all appears perfect. I see the sampling taking place and the Zen mini streamer, the final component, is receiving the signal. But nothing is heard.
I already implemented the suggested troubleshooting step to clear out any cache files that Roon has left. This is in the Innuos setup section of their Sense app where I can set Roon integration. But nothing comes out.
I am quite tired and frustrated at this point and would appreciate any suggestion or advice.
Thanks

Roon does not officially support any squeezelite implementation. Only true squeezebox hardware.

The section in their FAQ on this is at the bottom in a breakout box.

2 Likes

Hey @Javier_Hernandez,

Per @Rugby’s note, unfortunately, Roon does not support software implementations of squeezebox endpoints, and we do not test with them as part of our QA process. With this, we’re not able to extend additional support within this route of streaming.

My apologies here, and let me know if you have any questions :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.