Roon will not open after mac reboot. Fatal Error: could not create lock file

@support

Still waiting on Apple…

@support

Has anyone else contacted Apple? I would think if they got a lot of calls, they would figure this out.

@danny @Eric. Thanks much for your assistance. I decided reluctantly to restore my Mac using Time Machine in recovery mode. Roon started as if new but I have successfully linked it to my backup data file as if transferring to new computer. I am in the process of restoring the Roon data from backup and all appears to be going well.

If you come on a solution please let me know. Good luck to all who find themselves with the Fatal Error!!!

2 Likes

So, if I back up all my files and then restore the OS, what do I need to do to restore the Roon data?

@John_Culver You might want to wait for @support as I am not a tech by any means. I had complete backups and restored the entire computer in Recovery Mode from a Time Machine backup from before the Fatal Error.

I had first removed the CoreTelephony error as I described earlier. After the restore, starting Roon Requires logging into Roon and Tidal and finding the music files, audio devices etc. and then I quit Roon and replaced the data file with the one from backup as if moving Roon to a new computer. There’s quite a bit of clean up and reconnecting for other programs, but I got all my files restored and my Tidal preferences are retained.

My collection is 70k track + Tidal 22k with a small collection it might be better to delete all Roon and start over.

Good luck.

Hi John,

You should follow the steps set out here for moving Roon to a new computer, but save a copy of the database and treat the reinstalled OS as the new computer.

Remember to close Roon before backing up your current Roon database; Time Machine doesn’t do that and can result in a backup which can’t be restored (which is the whole point of a backup, so not good).

You will need to save your Roon database backup on a USB or similar external storage if you are going to format the disk and reinstall everything from scratch.

@support

Hey, anyone find a solution to this? Apple is not calling me back and I would love to avoid restoring the OS.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

We have this too - first time after a reboot. Hope the great folk hear can fix this - we are missing our music tonight.

Mart

The fix needs to come from Apple. There is a permissions issue regarding tmp files that only they can fix. I am waiting for an Apple tech right now.

@support

Apple is suggesting updating my OS from El Capitain ti Sierra. Will Roon continue to work on the new OS? Or, will I need to find an update? Please let me know, thanks.

El Capitan is fully supported.

@support

OK, I see that Roon’s last update allows it to run on Sierra.

I am updating now, I will let you know if that fixes the problem.

@support

Success!!! Updated from El Capitan OS to Sierra OS Roon runs perfectly. Had to set Sierra up as new Roon source but all changes were saved. perfect and easy fix.

Thanks everyone for all the help. Hope your issue resolves.

Updating to Sierra also worked for me, i.e. Roon now starts again. I’m very happy to have Roon back again but don’t like upgrading OS until they stabilise and this would not be my preferred solution to the OSX problem (just to be really clear, this doesn’t seem to be a Roon issue).

Is this only a CORE issue or Roon Remote too? All my RoonBridge installs are on Sierra already but I might still want a few Remotes on older macs that are not able to run Sierra so would like some clarification of any potential issues.

run that echo command, and if you can run it without an error, your machines are fine. This is not an OS issue, it is a issue about getting stuck in a bad situation.

Nothing about Sierra fixed their /tmp situation, the update procedure did.