14" Macbook Pro 1tb 16Gb Ram Ventura

Networking Gear & Setup Details

TP-Link Deco XE75 AXE5400 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi 6E System, Tri-Band Wi-Fi

Connected Audio Devices

Pair of Apple 1st generation Home Pods

Number of Tracks in Library

500 tracks (I’ve only just started)

Description of Issue

Roon will only see the Home Pods as separate entities, not as a stereo pair.
Is there a solution to this problem?

Hi @Jonathan_Slack

I’m a fellow Roon and Apple HomePod user.

Roon uses AirPlay 1 and doesn’t support stereo grouping when setup in Apples eco system.

You can group them together in Roon but they’ll not separate left and right and channels.

Some (me included without good success) use DSP functions to mute the right audio from the left HP and mute the left audio from the right HP.

2 Likes

Stereo grouping is limited to Apple home and Airplay 2. Roon cannot use airplay 2 to send as airplay2 is limited to iOS or Mac devices system airplay which it doesn’t use. It uses its own revered engineered airplay 1 so all non Mac users get same function. Airplay by default is limited to Apple products.

3 Likes

It is do-able. However, it is a workaround and a little long-winded. If you want, I’ll post instructions on how to do (should you wish to tinker). It’s how I used mine. You’ll have to use Roons DSP Procedural EQ and mixer to do the stereo split. Once done, you can group them together.

Actually, I found the original post which will save me having to write it!

1 Like

Alternately, if you use Macs or iOS devices such as iPhones or iPads, you can play to the system output of these devices if they are set to play to the paired HomePods. I do this with my HomePod minis when I connect to them via AirPlay to my MacBook Pro or iPhone.

2 Likes

That’s a good thought - I’ll try it! Thank you

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.