Roon will not start up

Roon Server Machine

Windows 11 22H2
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Comcast Internet with Arris Surfboard Cable Modem S33
WiFi Network facilitated by Asus ROG Rapture GT6 wireless routers (but my machine is connected via ethernet to one of the routers)

Connected Audio Devices

USB output from the PC into Schiit Magni Unity w/Headphones

Number of Tracks in Library

0 stored tracks

Description of Issue

Started free trial on 1/27, worked fine on 1/27 and 1/28. Stopped working on 1/29. I tried all of the troubleshooting steps: rebooted; uninstalled/reinstalled; turned off firewall, reinstalled .Net. Nothing worked. I posted a Support topic and did not get it to work. I then thought it was related to my VPN and was told that VPNs aren’t supported. I uninstalled my VPN and uninstalled/reinstalled Roon again (this time including settings/database) and it worked until today. I am having the same problem again.

One additional item. My Roon remote app on my iPhone works fine and I can control/play music through my PC without issue. The problem clearly lies somewhere within the desktop Roon app.

Any help on this would be appreciated. I am running close to the end of my trial period and I am not going to purchase if I can’t figure out what the issue is. Thanks.

Requesting @support for some assistance.

Hi @John_Olsen,

Sorry to hear you’re running into additional connectivity issues! Could you please reproduce the issue and share the specific date and time?

Once you let me know this info, I’ll go ahead and enable diagnostics for your account so I can review the logging for clues.

If you’d rather do it yourself manually, please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Thanks!

Thank you for the response. I just tried 2:51 pm, eastern time 2/8/24 and the app will not start. I just uploaded the .zip file with the Logs files.

Hey @John_Olsen,

Thanks for sending those over! As a next step, lets perform a refresh specifically for the Roon remote folder on the PC:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, my free trial expired by the time you got back to me. Is there a way for me to get some more trial time while we work through this issue?

Hey @John_Olsen,

Of course! Thank you for mentioning this. We’re sorry we weren’t proactive in extending your existing one.

A new free trial is now active on your account.

Thank you for verifying if the above steps shared by @benjamin work :smiling_face:

1 Like

The program is working. However, this is the “fix” I did last time and the program stopped working again shortly thereafter.

Hey @John_Olsen,

Thanks for the update! We’ve released some new updates on our latest build that I think may help your situation moving forward. I’ll keep this thread open in the meantime incase you run into additional hiccups during your trial period.

Thank you @beka for the help as well! :pray:

Crashed again… Mobile app continues to work fine. What do I do next?

@John_Olsen, as Roon Server is working, but not the Roon.exe (the Roon Remote application on your W11 PC), what you are experiencing may be related to your video driver. Do you have both the 3080 and possibly a native GPU in your system? Can you confirm that the video driver(s) is/are up to date from their respective OEMs? Is your VPN still active (and if so, can you deactivate it)?

Thanks for the response:

• VPN has been uninstalled and is not running
  • My CPU does not have integrated graphics, nor is there any other GPU in my system
  • I regularly update my video driver and it is current (551.52, released on 2/13/24)

Still looking for some additional feedback @support.

Hi @John_Olsen,

Thanks for the update and for your patience so far. To confirm, your only issue is the Roon GUI app crashing on your windows device, also running Roon Server, correct?

As a next step, we’ll need to review the event viewer log of your Windows device, after capturing a few instances of the crash. I’ll list out the steps below:

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save
  8. Upload the Event Viewer logs here and let us know once you’ve done so:

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Thanks. Just uploaded the file.

Thanks @John_Olsen - we were hoping it would provide more details around the crashing, but unfortunately, there wasn’t any additional information available.

I did notice that you’re running a Roon extension on your windows machine, could you please test out removing the extension as a next step?

I’m sorry for not pinning down the issue yet - it’s proving to be quite elusive and hard to catch. Thanks for your patience thus far! :pray:

Please help me understand what you want me to remove. I thought I only had the Roon Server and the Roon app. What is the extension?

@John_Olsen, if you go into Roon’s Settings → Extensions tab, do you see any Extensions available and authorized?