Roon will not start up

In what program’s settings? The program that doesn’t run? How am I supposed to do that?

Use the Roon Remote on your iPhone to access the Extensions setting.

Ahh, thank you. I went to the mobile app and under the Extensions heading it says “No extensions discovered”

Hmm, interesting - as @benjamin said that the logs showed there was an Extension running. I guess that we will have to wait for him to respond further.

Maybe that’s the issue? Roon is looking for something/sees something that isn’t there and causes it to hang?

No idea - but is your Windows Event Viewer picking up an application crash for Roon?

Filter the application event log for Errors:

Yep.

My trial period is ending today. I am going to cancel it unless the period can be extended again while we try to get this issue resolved.

Thanks for the detailed updates @John_Olsen, odd that there isn’t any active extensions on your Server. I’m extremely sorry we haven’t pinned down the culprit yet, I will get with our CS team to see about getting you an extension while we continue to troubleshoot. :+1:

To confirm, the mere attempt at opening the Roon GUI from your windows devices result in an instant crash? Or, are you now able to navigate for a short time before the crash occurs?

How attached are you and how built up is your library at this point? One option that may be fruitful would be to completely remove all aspects of Roon on your windows device and perform a fresh install. This would involve removing all Roon elements and the database directory. Unless I’ve glazed over it, I believe we’ve only started on a fresh database, not a fully fresh install.

Nonetheless, our development team is going to take a closer look into your case for further analysis. I should have more information to share soon. :pray:

Thanks for the note. My library is basically my saved songs from Qobuz - it can be pretty easily replicated on each reinstall. Twice now, I have fully deleted and reinstalled and the program works - for a period of time and then the behavior reoccurs. In addition, I have had no issues with the mobile app, I have been able to play music on my desktop as well as in my living room. So, from my perspective, the Roon server appears to be working fine. The issue appears to be the Windows app.

To answer your first question, the program immediately hangs on start-up. The Roon logo doesn’t even show up, I just get a blank window.

1 Like

@benjamin - his Windows Event Viewer is showing an application hang. Could this be a graphics driver issue?

Hi @John_Olsen,

Our team was able to take a closer look into your diagnostic report, and are curious to see:

1. Try disabling “Citrix Indirect Display Adapter” in Device Manager

Let me know if your issue persists after this. If so, lets see if we can force Windows to select the NVIDIA driver as a dedicated driver:

1. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel
  2. Go to Manage 3D Settings > Preferred Graphics Processor
  3. Select High-performance NVIDIA processor

NVIDIA Control Panel
After this, try opening Roon and let me know how things go.

Thanks for the additional feedback:

• I disabled the Citrix Indirect Display Adapter and it had no effect. The Roon app still hangs at start-up.

• In my NVIDIA Control Panel, since I don’t have an integrated graphics card, I do not have the option to switch between my graphics card and integrated graphics.

Hi @John_Olsen,

Did you give your machine a hard reboot before attempting to open Roon?

Yes I did. Also confirmed that the device was disabled when I restarted.

To provide a little more color, I use Citrix to be able to access my work “desktop” from home. Even with the “Citrix Indirect Display Adapter” disabled, I have had no issues in running Citrix from home this afternoon. Could there be something else with Citrix that is causing this problem? Should I uninstall the “Citrix Indirect Display Adapter” since it does not seem to impact my Citrix usage?

Hey @John_Olsen,

Thanks for the update. Our development team would like to review a fresh log report from the remote device. Could you please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs from the remote devicew to our File Uploader?

It certainly could! It wouldn’t hurt to uninstall as a next step in troubleshooting.

Didn’t work. In addition, the “adapter” reinstalls each time I restart. Out of curiosity, I then uninstalled Citrix Workspace to see if that had an impact - it did not. Program will still not start. I am reinstalling Citrix Workspace as I need it for work.

Hey @John_Olsen,

Thanks for going through that process - sorry it didn’t prove successful for you. Our development team will need to review a fresh roon remote log (not the roon server folder, just Roon): please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs from the remote devicew to our File Uploader?

Just uploaded them as jolsen148_Logs.zip.