Roon will not start up

Thanks @John_Olsen, I will follow up when our team has reviewed the logs you’ve sent over. :pray:

Hey @John_Olsen,

Our development team was able to review your issue today and are curious on the follow tests:

1. What happens if you first stop Roon Server and attempt to open the remote app?

2. Try uninstalling Citrix again, but this time also produce a fresh instance of the Roon remote:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

I tried quitting the Roon Server and then opening the Roon App, didn’t work.

I am hesitant about trying the 2nd test. I can leave Citrix up and running and reinstall the Roon remote - it’s what I have done previously. The Roon app will work - for a period of time and then lock-up again. There has to be another course of action.

Hi @John_Olsen,

Can you be more specific? Did Roon open? What screen did you get to if so?

This likely won’t have any effect.

As of right now, there aren’t any additional items to share from our development team. I will relay your information and see if additional investigation results in any new findings.

Thanks for the continued feedback. When I quit the Roon Server and then tried opening Roon, it was the same result - a blank window opened and nothing more.

I continue to be hesitant about uninstalling Citrix, as I use it everyday for work and I can’t play with Roon for a couple of days to see how Roon operates and not be able to be logged in at work.

Hi @John_Olsen,

An additional review from our development team found potential traces related to the migration of Roon from a recent update. I know you’ve mentioned you’ve already fully removed Roon, but let’s see if the below process of removing all traces of Roon changes any of your issue:

1. Stop Roon Server
  2. Uninstall Roon/Roon Server through Add/Remove programs on your Windows
  3. Open your File Explorer and enable the option to show hidden files & folders
  4. Navigate to C:\Users\AppData\Local
  5. Delete the folders “Roon” and “RoonServer” (any folder associated with Roon)
  6. Re-install Roon

Thanks. I followed the instructions above and have Roon up and running again. Hopefully, I don’t have any further issues but please keep this thread open for a period of time in case I run into the same issue.

1 Like

Most excellent news @John_Olsen!! Glad to hear you have your music back, and I will certainly keep this thread open in case any hiccups pop up along the way. :pray:

@benjamin That didn’t take long… Locked up on me this afternoon. Also, Roon Remote on my iPhone is not working either. I deleted the app and re-downloaded it but it cannot find the Roon Server.

Another issue is that Roon Server Status is showing that the server is supposed to launch at start-up but that isn’t happening either. I have gone back and uploaded the Logs file under the name “John_Olsen_3_15”

Any other suggestions?

I uninstalled/reinstalled again and it the program is up and running again. For some reason, Roon Server was “disabled” from launching at start. I changed that setting and now, through several restarts, Roon Server appears to be running fine. The Roon app on my iPhone is also working again. We will see how long the Roon app on my desktop continues to run.

And… the Roon App is not working again. The app on my iPhone does continue work. The frustration continues.

Hi @John_Olsen,

Thanks for the updates! In the situation of Roon running normally for a short time, followed by it no longer working - we’ve found often times this type of pattern can be related to firewall restrictions taking place.

Can you double-check your current firewall restrictions, and make sure roon has the following exceptions listed:

roonserver.exe

raatserver.exe

roonbridge.exe

roonappliance.exe

Thanks. The following programs were already exceptions:

raatserver.exe
roonappliance.exe
roon.exe

I added roonserver.exe to the list of exceptions but I cannot locate roonbridge.exe.

After a system restart, still didn’t work.

Hi @John_Olsen,

Thanks for the follow up. Our team will need to take a closer look at your windows logs for further information.

I noticed you have two displays connected, I’d be curious to know if you experience the same issue when only using one monitor, temporarily.

I hope to have more information to share soon.

Are you kidding me??? I disabled one of the monitors and, voila, Roon is up and running. I can’t be the only person using multiple monitors. How do I have Roon running with multiple monitors enabled?

Hi @John_Olsen,

Interesting - thank you for giving this a try! We’re aware of an issue tied to multiple monitors, but we haven’t seen it take form in your specific use case.

When you have both monitors connected like you normally would, and Roon isn’t opening - try the below steps:

1. Close Roon

2. Navigate to: C:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\Roon\Database\Registry\Client\

Note: It may require enabling “show hidden files and folders” to see this.

There you should see the file: saved_window_pos.

1. Rename this file to saved_window_pos.old, restart your computer, and launch Roon then try to duplicate your issue.

Let us know if this doesn’t resolve the issue for you.

I will try that. When I have some time, I will try to replicate the issue. It may be the case that every time I ran into an issue the app was opening on “Monitor 2.” When I disabled that monitor, the app could only open on “Monitor 1” and it worked fine. I am wondering if that had the same effect as the above instruction. Stay tuned.

Okay, I have been able to replicate the issue. If the Roon app window is moved to “Monitor 2” and then shut down, it will hang on restart. The fix above worked. Also, disabling “Monitor 2” works as it forces the app to open up in “Monitor 1.” As long as the app is opened (and shut down) in “Monitor 1” I have not had a problem. Happy to have figured out the issue.

Now, the question is why does the app have this behavior? What about being positioned in the secondary monitor causes the program to hang? My preference would be to have the app operate in “Monitor 2” so that it is not taking up important screen real estate of “Monitor 1” while I am working. Any help/feedback would be appreciated. Is this just chalked up as a bug at this point and we mark this issue answered?

Hey @John_Olsen,

Thanks for the detailed follow-up! We may have tracked down the issue to a specific audio driver that may be present within your setup.

Here’s the thread for more info: Roon hangs on Windows 11 when launched on a secondary screen [Ticket In] - #29 by brian

The audio driver is called “Nahimic” audio driver, and potentially could be something you didn’t install manually. If you find it - try uninstalling it.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional feedback. My motherboard, Asus, automatically installed “Sonic Studio” and that software has the Nahimic driver included. I have deleted/disabled any instances of that driver and will see if I continue to run into an issue. Thanks, again.