Roon with HQplayer

BTW: My DAC is compatible up to 256 DSD

My very basic and limited understanding is yes, pour most money into the fastest CPU you can afford within your own calculated budget…

I haven’t got a clue (sadly). Jussi has listed (see above) a handful that he knows or has heard work. You may have to wait for others to chime in, to see if they’ve made it work. Or have a look on Computer Audio Forum.

Not a chance :slight_smile: Not even with the 2s xtr filter does this work at DSD512 - I know because I tried with my NUCi7 ROCK.

The most risk free option is to go with Jussi’s mentioned CPU’s.

This does change things obviously, since I’ve only been commenting about non-2s filters at DSD512.

Hopefully others with first hand experience can chime in. You don’t want to guess by picking a CPU you think should work and then find out it can’t cope after you’ve already spent the cash.

1 Like

Have a look at the thread @dabassgoesboomboom linked to above to see the joys of trying to get an HQP capable machine and the effect of CUDA!

However at 256DSD I think your requirements will not be as onerous. Later tonight when I get home I’ll try all the various filters at 256 and let you know what my machine does.

.sjb

2 Likes

Great!

Awaiting your comments…

I wonder if there is a huge difference between the -2s filters and the non -2s…

If it is worth investing in a new NUC with a good i7 processor for this matter

My i7-7700HQ can play both 2s and non-2s with the poly-sinc-short-mp filter at DSD512 and I wasn’t able to hear any difference to convince me to spend big on a more powerful PC. That’s just my ears though, my system and only with that filter. So consider my observations with a bag of salt :smile:

So you have to weigh the cost (to your pocket) of being able to play non-2s filters with the reward (to your ears).

1 Like

Okay with these settings: 44.1 x 256, CUDA off. For closed form and poly-sinc-xtr-mp these are the CPU usage.

So an i7-8700 is well able to manage them without CUDA graphics card helping.

The HQP manual says the 2s filters “lowers the overall CPU load while preserving the conversion quality. “ so whether it’s worth spending money on chasing the monkey is debatable.

.sjb

Thanks for sharing that.

Seems that it works like a charm with your i7-8700

Can you spot a difference in sound between a non-2s and - 2s filter?

Are you using a NUC by any chance?

And additional info:

I can’t find the post but I did read Jussi say 2s gives 99.99999% the performance of non-2s.

I’ve not been able to hear any difference between filters and 2s variants.

1 Like

No I haven’t a NUC. Here’s the full story.

I haven’t tried testing 2s vs standard. I’d doubt I’d be a key to tell the difference.

.sjb

1 Like

Thanks for that

I just tried the closed form filter and it stutters for me.

The fast closed form filter works but uses like 99.9% of my cpu

Have an idea if I am missing out?

Sounding very like I have some idea what I’m talking about -

Closed form is a non-apodizing filter which if I understand correctly can sound better (or worse) depending on the original ADC used during recording. Apodizing filters show less variability. I don’t use closed from as my regular choice, this can bounce between poly-sinc-shrt and minringFIR.

However if I think something should sound better or thought it did from my memory I might try closed form, -hb or -xtr to see what happens. If I think there is a particular filter that suits an album I tag it such in Roon.

I think for some DACs Jussi says a particular filter will sound best, whether I’m correct or not I feel with my NOS DAC this has less of an impact and choice of filter is more recording dependent.

You do seem to have a very nice DAC with a cost that dwarfs that of a new NUC that will give you all the filters to 256. If you’re going to continue with HQP (and there is no 512 Lampi module) it might be well worth the money to have all filters available.

At the moment however seeing as you have just got it working, enjoy the ride and get acquainted with the various filters. There may be just one that works and you have to do no more.

.sjb

2 Likes

I am pretty much excited about all these new features for me.

I can upgrade my Lampi to 512 but I will wait for that. I have it only a half a year.

How can I tag Jussi here for him to recommend the best filter to work with my Lampi?

Use the @ symbol and start typi Jussi and his name should come up. Just like if I type @Ofer_Elaz your name comes up.

Whether Jussi will recommends a particular filter is debatable but God loves a trier.

.sjb

1 Like

I recommend taking a look at the manual… :wink:
Filters are mostly dependent on technical aspects of the filters as filters, listener’s preferences and type of music. Modulator choice is more DAC specific, mainly depending on properties of the analog filter in the DAC. If analog filter allows, using higher order modulator is better.

Since I don’t have a Lampi and I haven’t had a possibility to measure one, I cannot say much about it since I don’t know much about it’s internal implementation either.

Do you have an opinion on what modulator suits the Holo Spring DAC?

.sjb

Anything goes with Spring/Cyan, because it is kind of multi-element converter plus normal analog filter, so for example ASDM7 and ASDM5 etc are completely fine.

Folks, need a bit of direction.

Would like to upsample PCM to DSD256.
Upon choosing output to SDM at the following settings, all I get a metallic muffled sound.

I have a LampiB7 and I use a Rendu.

What should I be doing differently?
TIA

Hey @Aeby_Thomas , change your max volume from 0 to -3dB

Also change your SDM rate limit to 12288000

See if that improves things

1 Like