Roon With Shadowsock

Description of Issue

Hi, I use Shadowsock for stable streaming. Roon Remote cannot connect to Roon Core when Shadowsock is in PAC mode or global mode.

Problem steps:

1. When the computer is turned on, Shadowsock and Roon Core are automatically started.
  2. Start Roon Remote, Roon Remote cannot connect to Roon Core.
  3. Restart Roon Core.
  4. Restart Roon Remote, Roon Remote successfully connects to Roon Core.
  5. After using Roon for a period of time (usually about 1 hour), kill the Roon Remote process and restart the Roon Remote. The Roon Remote cannot connect to the Roon Core.

Enviroment:
Roon Core/Roon Remote 1.8 Build 988
Roon Core: Windows 10 21H2
Roon Remote: HarmonyOS 2.0.0, HUAWEI Mate X2
Shadowsock 4.4.0.0

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 21H2 x64
Intel(R) Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz 4.20 GHz
RAM 16.0 GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

NETCORE MG1200AC
Wi-Fi 2.4G

Thanks

Hey @synaric,

First off, welcome to the community! We’re excited to have you here, and look forward to helping you. With Shadowsock, we’ll need to look at addressing this similarly to troubleshooting VPN issues with Roon.

The first thing to check would be your exceptions in Shadowsock. We’ll need to ensure you’ve made exceptions for Roon. With your core running on Windows, you’ll want to make sure both roon.exe and raatserver.exe are added as exceptions.

We’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

Hi @benjamin ,

Thanks for your welcome! Although Shadowsocks does not allow configuration to exclude a process (domain instead), I got a good way inspired by your reply, just configure gui-config.json:

“geositePreferDirect”: true

This makes Shadowsocks not proxy requests like ip:port

However this doesn’t solve the problem. Also I noticed that when the Roon Remote is connected to the Roon Core (it says “Waiting for remote core”), the Remote device appears in the audio output list:

Does this mean that Remote and Core know each other, but can’t connect…

Roon server on machine with VPN

Assign a reserved local IP to my PC → Seems solved!
Roon Remote will find the reserved IP after failing to automatically find Roon Core.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.