Roon Won’t Read External HD After 1.8 Update

And yes my friends music is in Music while my stuff shows up at the Ricky (name of my HD) level. Is there a way to move those to Music?

Ignore my last post - I was getting confused about how many drives you have. I thought it was two, but it seems as though there’s just one drive. If I were you, I’d go with Geoff’s suggestion–move all the music folders at the top level of your drive (shown in your most recent screenshot) into the Music folder. Given that Roon is already scanning this folder, it should pick up the rest of the files when you add them.

How do I do that?

Um - use the Finder? (I’m not a Mac user - as a Windows user, I would use File Explorer to move the folders and their files - I would assume that Finder can also do this)

But all my music files are in the same location on my Mac. I guess I can try creating a separate folder there to see if that works? Something else strange. Even though I have deleted the old Music folder in Roon, when I try to create a new one called Music my friends music pops up. When I try to create a folder with a different name I get an error message saying Unauthorized

I’m not sure what you are doing here. Are you trying to create a new folder using the File Browser of Roon, or the Mac Finder?

When you say: “Even though I have deleted the old Music folder in Roon, when I try to create a new one called Music my friends music pops up.” - I think that is what should happen. You are using Roon’s file browser to browse the drive, and naturally, it finds the existing Music folder?

We’re talking about the ones on the hard drive, not on your Mac. Just drag the ones at the top level of the drive (Abbey Lincoln, Abbey Simon, etc), into the Music folder on the same drive.

OK just tried a trial and seemed to work. I guess the Roon Folder name has to match the file name on my HD? In any case I moved one file in to a new My Music file on HD and that allowed me to set up a My Music folder in Roon . Thanks for help…will be back if that doesn’t work

No, not really. I think you’re misunderstanding how storage locations work. You don’t need to create a folder from within Roon, you just need to point Roon at the folder that contains your music.

1 Like

Well I probably don’t understand storage locations…but all I know is that Roon would not allow me to add a new folder location until I moved the music on my Hard Drive to a new folder called My Music. Once I did that Roon allowed me to set up a new folder called My Music and it appears to be loading just fine now. Before that my attempts to set it up got an error message, unauthorized.

Good. Just move all your music into the ‘My Music’ folder and you’ll be good to go.

Roon has a file and folder browser - it just browses an existing structure. It can’t be used to create folders.

It can, and I think that’s what’s causing the confusion. If you click ‘+ Add folder’ (Settings → Storage) you’ll see a ‘New folder’ button at the bottom-left of the next screen. I’m not sure what this is for – what’s the point of creating a folder from within Roon? – but it can be done.

Damn - you’re right - just goes to show that I only ever use it to browse… :anguished:

Which makes sense … browse to where your music is located, and add it. I have no idea why you would want to use Roon to create a new folder on a specific drive.

And I suspect that access permissions on the Mac are preventing it from creating a new folder…

Nope, at least not on my Mac, I can create folders on any of my drives, including the internal drive. I think the problem that Ricky was having was that he thought that he needed to create a new folder to match an existing folder, which clearly wouldn’t work. The whole ‘New folder’ thing was a total red herring, on spanner in the works, or other appropriate metaphor.

Probably best we start a feature suggestion to get rid of the New Folder button :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Certainly think I misunderstood that! Appreciate everyone’s help. One last (hopefully) last question. With all the issues some of my Roon playists appear to be impacted. Haven’t confirmed yet but looks like some are missing tracks from my HD? Any easy solutions if this is the case…or do I need to edit them back the old fashioned way?

I think playlists require files to stay in the same place. As it seems that we’ve probably moved some (or all) of them I think it would be best to edit your playlists to reflect their new locations.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.