Roon won’t start or quit after Mac OS 10.12.6 upgrade

I just re-read this and your Mac mini should not have to see the music folder on your MacPro core. What are you running on your Mac Mini? Roon, RoonBridge or RoonServer?

It looks to me like your Mac mini should been running RoonBridge, that way the music from your core is sent through RoonBridge on your Mac mini and onto your TEAC 501 DAC. Your Mac mini should not have to see your music folder.

Given all of that it still looks as though you have lost your music folder on your MacPro somehow.

My MacPro library set up looks like this, you will select “Browse” to relocate your music folder:

This screenshot is just to show you what it would look like if I was to select an external HD that contains my music library (mine is internal), SAM T5 is the external drive:

Thanks Mark, I’ve been away for a day and just getting back to this. My Mac mini does not show a roon screen so I don’t know what to call it “Server, Core, or Bridge” All I know is that everything worked until I got a new modem on my Mac Pro which is downstairs and remotely connected to my main listening room’s Mac mini via ethernet. Everything works fine on my Mac pro and I can listen to music as normal through my computer speakers. The storage path shows as the following: This Mac > Macintosh HD > Poppa (external drive) > flac. The only issue is I cant’ get this signal to my main audio system. DO you think I should start a new thread? I think I blew this one because I’m not getting anywhere.

Hi @Jonathan_Sugarman

I think it is best we call @noris to help you sort this issue out. He will want to know all about your set up, network topology and what model your new modem/router is.

Something strange is going on as the message I have highlighted tells me that your music library is not available at all but you say you can listen to music on your MacPro, very weird. Are you listening to local files that are stored in your Flac folder or from a streaming service? Do you have TIDAL or Qobuz?

Also what does the message say if you click on the warning sign in the top right hand corner.

The fact that I can see your TEAC DAC as the selected zone tells me that at least your MacMini is seen on the network and that Roon knows that your DAC is available.

Thanks Mark,
After a bunch more messing about I think I have another problem now. All of my albums slowly disappeared from my library, counting down from over 6000 albums to zero. This took about 45 minutes. Everything still works fine on my MacPro desktop which is comforting. Now when I try to play music I can’t find or add my Teac UD 501 Dac. so I may have solved one problem and created another. I have done many restarts of the DAc and the Mac mini and the iPad controller but that didnt help.

Also, that warning sign on the top left is now gone. Here is my screen

At least now it is showing your library and that you have 79158 tracks imported.

Could you please post a screenshot of the Audio settings, this will show what ever you have connected to your network.

(My son is finally asleep so I should be on my Mac for the next 30 mins or so).

Mine looks like this:

Hi @Jonathan_Sugarman,

Glad to hear you got your Mac share up-and-running again!

As for the new issue regarding the TEAC, which Mac is this connected to? To the Mac Pro or Mac Mini? Please do share the screenshot of Roon Settings -> Audio as it would be helpful.

Have you tried rebooting the Mac that the TEAC is connected to? What about the TEAC itself? Have you tried connecting the TEAC to another USB port? I would try the thesse steps as the initial troubleshooting stage.

Thanks Mark, your efforts are appreciated. I’m attaching a screen shot here and my Teac has disappeared. It was there earlier in the week but my system didn’t work then either.

Hi Noris,
I have rebooted all devices multiple times every day for the last 5 days. My Teac is connected to my Mac mini which is in my listening room. I have tried other usb inputs and even swapped cables.
The situation is much worse today because I can no longer get Roon output from my desktop computer where my music files are stored. That system had been working all along but it is non operational now. I regret that since I have been getting more and more frustrated sand depressed I might have messed things up more in desperation. Sitting here in self isolation during these times with no music is really sad. Is there a possibility of tech support by phone like there is with most other tech companies?

Hi folks. First let me say that I’ve been a happy user of Roon for over 5 years and have over 6000 albums in flac format. Much to my dismay and immense frustration I haven’t been able to get Roon to work for the last week. Now with this home Isolation situation I would love to get my music back.

Does anyone know where I can get Roon support outside of this forum? I’m desperate to get up and running again but struck out here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @Jonathan_Sugarman,

I apologize for the difficulties you are having here, and I appreciate your feedback about our support process.

We sometimes hear from people wondering about phone support, email support, or other more traditional methods, and we almost always win them over by resolving problems here every day. I can tell you that we stand behind our products and our support 100%.

Every support thread on this site is tracked by someone on our staff, and they frequently loop in senior staff or developers for feedback. Nearly everyone in our company spends time on this site.

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Thanks Dylan,
I do already have a very long thread going for a few days, but didn’t have any success with it and I’m pretty sure I messed things up even more as I was trying the fixes. A big part of the problem seems to be that I can’t describe things in a way that helps you help me. I’ll try again here.

I do all of my music sorting and maintenance (ripping, storing etc) on a Mac Pro in my basement office. This is where my hard drive with 6000+ albums in flac files resides. I can play music on that system just fine, everything is normal and nothing has changed. My serious listening is done in my living room upstairs, where I use a MacMini to receive data from my MacPro via ethernet cable. Over the course of the last few days while trying to fix things I seem to have created many other problems. Currently I cant get my Teac UD501 Dac to show up on my iPad which has always been my controller. Therefore no music. My Teac did show up for the last 3 days but I didn’t have music then either. Everything has worked perfectly for the last 5 years but I got a new modem downstairs last week and I havent been able to play music since. Here is a screen shot of my storage path. Thanks for your concern.
Jonathan

Add

images

Attaching some other screen shots from yesterday when my Teac Dac was still showing up under devices. I have done a lot of messing about since capturing these screens

Here’s the other thread @dylan: Roon won’t start or quit after Mac OS 10.12.6 upgrade

I’m going to bow out now and leave it to a pro, I was going to suggest a reboot of the MacPro Core at this point if @Jonathan_Sugarman hadn’t already done.

I don’t seem to be helping, all the best I hope it is something simple.

Some specific networking info might help here like fixed/dhcp settings etc

typical modem/router changes often result I’n network address changes and often might make wifi ssid’s on a different subnet range too.

Hi,
Yes multiple re-boots of all devices have been executed.

Thanks Mr Fix It. Although I don’t have that level of knowledge.

Hi @Jonathan_Sugarman,
to aid @support … I’ve merged your new topic with the existing to keep all the history together.

Great thanks Carl

1 Like

Hi @Jonathan_Sugarman,

First, let’s sort out which device is your Core and which one is the Roon client. To do this, please navigate to Roon Settings -> General and provide a screenshot of what you’re seeing there. That should tell us which one is the Core and which one is the client.

Next, when devices have disappeared like your Settings -> Audio screenshot, this usually indicates a firewall blocking Roon somewhere along the line or a networking issue. I would use these instructions from Apple to double check that Roon is still allowed past the MacOS firewall on both machines and if you have any other Antivirus or Firewall applications running, I would try temporarily disabling those to see if it helps.

After checking the firewall aspect, I would next take a look at your network configuration. What is the IP address of the Mac Pro and what is the IP address of the Mac Mini? Are they on the same subnet? You can navigate to the Networking tab on both Macs by using these instructions. Please share a screenshot of this screen from both Macs that show the IP address.