Roon won't boot beyond the splash screen

Had to restore a Mac Mini from backup. Everything else works as before but roon will not fully boot and stays on the splash screen indefinitely… Tidal works, Itunes works, just not roon…? Weird.

Hi @William_Martin1 ----- Thank you for the report and sorry to hear of the troubles. Let’s see if we can figure out what is causing the issue with your setup.

Moving forward, to help aide in our understanding of this issue you are experiencing with your Roon setup, may I very kindly ask you for the for the following information:

• An expanded description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

• Based on your post it sounds like you had to restore operating system on the MacMini. Can please provide further insight into to this comment:

“Had to restore a Mac Mini from backup.”

• Please send us a set of your Roon logs using the instructions found here

-Eric

I installed the latest update to the Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1. I have two MAC Mini’s and the update went soothly on the first. On the second the system on reboot never got past the Apple black and white logo. I tried to re install, then disc first aid. Ultimately I had to restore from a very recent backup. Everything seems to work fine - pictures, Itunes, Tidal but Roon will not go past the boot screen. I have reinstalled roon, to no avail. I could not find where the logs are, perhaps I need more info, but below is my system configuration. I have not attempted the OS upgrade again on this system.

System Software Overview:
System Version: macOS 10.12.6 (16G1036)
Kernel Version: Darwin 16.7.0
Boot Volume: Server HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: Bill’s Mac mini
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
System Integrity Protection: Enabled
Time since boot: 17:01

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MM61.010B.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.8f0
Serial Number (system): C07JV06XDWYN
Hardware UUID: 31BB75C1-D456-5A5A-84B7-761BE0CB724F

Macintosh HD2:
Available: 948.69 GB (948,687,757,312 bytes)
Capacity: 999.86 GB (999,860,912,128 bytes)
Mount Point: /Volumes/Macintosh HD2
File System: Journaled HFS+
Writable: Yes
Ignore Ownership: No
BSD Name: disk1s2
Volume UUID: 6E53F55C-3A6C-3912-93E6-DFB6B7DC8127
Physical Drive:
Device Name: APPLE HDD ST1000LM024
Media Name: APPLE HDD ST1000LM024 Media
Medium Type: Rotational
Protocol: SATA
Internal: Yes
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

Server HD:
Available: 289.71 GB (289,714,905,088 bytes)
Capacity: 999.35 GB (999,345,127,424 bytes)
Mount Point: /
File System: Journaled HFS+
Writable: Yes
Ignore Ownership: No
BSD Name: disk0s2
Volume UUID: B3533DE8-2A87-3B38-8241-65B54670AEC0
Physical Drive:
Device Name: APPLE HDD ST1000LM024
Media Name: APPLE HDD ST1000LM024 Media
Medium Type: Rotational
Protocol: SATA
Internal: Yes
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

Hi @William_Martin1 ---- Thank you for getting back to me, appreciated!

Moving forward, as it it a touch unclear to me based on your latest. The device that is having the issue (i.e MacMini “second system”) was the machine that has been hosting your Roon core in the past, correct? OR was this device been used as a Roon remote?

Please verify the above and we can go from there. Many thanks!

-Eric

The second Mac Mini system has always been my Roon Core and worked flawlessly. Thanks!

Great! Thank you for that verification @William_Martin1, appreciated! And just to be clear, you are running a “full” install on the mentioned MacMini correct (i.e the application has a graphic interface) and not RoonServer which will not have a graphic interface, correct?

Ok, onto log gathering :sunglasses: Please see below.

1. Open Finder and click “Go” in the top bar.
  2. Hold down the “Alt” key to unhide the “Library” folder.
  3. Click the “Library” folder.
  4. Find and open the “Roon” folder (or RoonServer, if applicable).
  5. Right click the “Logs” folder and select “Compress Logs”.
  6. Rename the newly created zip file to include your user name
  7. Please provide the logs via a shared dropbox link.

-Eric

Hi Eric;

Here is the link:

Cheers,
Bill

Thanks @William_Martin1 this is exactly what I was look for. Well done :thumbsup:

Confirming that the logs have been downloaded and are in queue to be evaluated by a member of our tech staff. Once my report has been updated and passed back I will be sure to share the team’s thoughts/findings with you asap.

In the meantime, I would like to ensure that you have access to the application and would like to propose the use of a fresh db while the team conducts their analysis of the traces found in the provided logs. With this in mind may I very kindly ask you to please perform the following:

• Open Finder and click “Go” in the top bar.
  • Hold down the “Alt” key to unhide the “Library” folder.
  • Click the “Library” folder.
  • Locate the “Roon” folder and rename it to “Roon_Old”
  • Launch the application, sign in, and let us know if you run into the same issue.

-Eric

I am listening to Roon RIGHT NOW! Thank you! Let me know if the logs reveal any other issues… Roon ROCKS! Cheers, Superbike!

Hi @William_Martin1 ----- Thank you for touching base with me, glad to hear the fresh DB has been holding up! I appreciate your patience while our techs have been reviewing the traces found in the provided logs.

Moving forward, the team has informed me that they are noticing signs of low level corruption present in your DB. This is an extremely rare occurrence and not one that we see very often, so we do not take this class of issue lightly.

In light of this discovery, can you please confirm if you have been periodically making backups of your database? The reason I ask is because the best way to proceed forward will be to either stick with the fresh install or try restoring from a backup. Let me know what you think and we can go from there.

Many thanks and sorry again for the troubles!
-Eric

Hi Eric;

I have always backed up the entire drive up daily using Apple’s Time Machine and an external 2GB hard drive. I have [up until now] never used the Roon back-up. When the system functioned properly again with the new install I set the Roon backup for every 4th day at 2 AM. I still use the Time Machine to back up the entire drive.

At this point I don’t see a downside in continuing to use the new install as it seems to have found all of my music, including all my iTunes, HD Tracks et al, and is working flawlessly with all of my AppleTV’s, Mac Mini’s and Twist airplay speaker/lights…

I would like to upgrade the operating system to Apple’s latest.Sierra 10.13.1. Are there any known issues?

Thanks again,
Bill

Sorry, 2TB external drive… :slight_smile:

Hi @William_Martin1 ---- Thank you for the follow up and insight, both are very appreciated! As mentioned, pleased to hear that the fresh install has been holding up.

Moving forward, in regard to updating to OS X 10.13.1 (“High Sierra”), there should be no issues related to taking the update, as lots of users are running that update without issue.

Furthermore, I want to reiterate what our Knowledge Base says about backups. The Roon database is constantly being updated and changed in the background, and there is no way for external backup programs (like Time Machine) to accurately snapshot the database when it’s in use. This is why Time Machine backups are not supported in Roon, and can result in database corruption like we’re seeing here.

By using Roon’s Backup feature, you will be creating a snapshot of Roon’s database, and that can easily be backed up using Time Machine. This will work great in conjunction with regularly scheduled Roon Backups, which is why we encourage our users to take advantage of Roon’s backup feature. Hope that helps.

Happy listening!
-Eric