Roon won't import some of my music WAV files

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Macbook Pro 2012 - SSD

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Lacie Hardrive w/ USB 3.0

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Nothing as of yet, cause your software is getting on my nerves

Description Of Issue

For some unnapparent reason, on multiple computers, my Roon software will not access over more than half of my library that I have on a harddrive. These are .Wav files that are no different than the ones it did find, and they are in the same folder and yes I know how to direct to folders. Please advise me as to either WTF I’m doing wrong, or how to fix this cause it’s really annoying to have this software if it doesn’t do what it’s setup to do - which is literally just read files…

Hi Randall,

Have you checked under Settings / Library / Skipped Files to see if they are listed there. Also, check out the FAQ: https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_Some_of_my_files_aren't_showing_up_in_Roon

You say they are in the same folders, are these doubles of the same album? If so, then Roon will stuff them under Versions, Go into the album, look down by Credits and there is a versions tab to check. If so, you can set Roon to show Hidden Albums in Settings / General / “Show Hidden Tracks and Albums” set to Yes.

Did you recently upgrade to the latest MacOS Catalina?

I thought he wouldn’t be able to access anything on the drive in that case?

Possible. To me it’s not clear if the missing tracks are kept on the external drive and the ones found are on the internal.

If they were these before and you upgraded to Catalina then that’s your issue most likely. Known issue and roon is working hard to resolve it. You are not alone with Catalina issues

Hi @Randall_Stewart,

Are these files located on a USB drive or are they on an internal drive?

Did this start after an update to the Catalina version of Mac OS?

Thank you for the response.

Unfortunately it is none of the things you are suggesting. They are all different albums, with Master “Album” Folders, with the songs in them. Then I route the Roon Storage to the Master Folder called “My Music” which contains literally all the music I’ve ever had, in both wav and MP3 format, and it only reads about 1/3 of the files that I have on there.

Let me know what you can assist with as I would appreciate it.

To recap: They are not in the Skipped Files, Not doubles of the same album, and as I suggested above.

External Lacie HD - USB 3.0 connection - running the High Sierra OS at this time.

Hi Randall

As it seems the files are readable and there appears to be no problem with drives themselves I would suggest the issue is the file structure/existing metadata.

I have no connection to Roon but possibly give you some pointers to this if you could take the following steps (this all free in SongKong Lite):

• Install SongKong
  • Start, select My Music Folder and then the Status Report task (first one on toolbar) and select Start
  • Wait to complete then run Create Support Files from Help menu

This would upload your Status Report so I could see your file structure and metadata and should give a clue as to why Roon is only matching a 3rd of files.

Hi @Randall_Stewart,

A good starting point is our KB article about why some files might be missing from Roon .

I’d like to recommend looking at a couple of specific examples of tracks that did not get imported into Roon. Are they supported files? If it looks like they should be importing, let me know! Screenshots of these files in their storage location would be helpful for discovering what may be happening.

Paul, Thank you for this. I’m going to try to do this this weekend and see if it helps. I did check the Metatag data and didn’t see anything glaring from file to file as afar as the ones Roon was picking up vs the ones it wasn’t. I’ll report back soon.

Hi @Randall_Stewart did you manage to make a start on this ?

Paul, Thank you for getting back to me. Unfortunately the weekend was full of tasks, I’m hoping to get to it in 48 hours. I’ll let you know what I find out. Thank you again,

A post was split to a new topic: WAV files not importing

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.