Roon won't play over apple tv and roon remote can't find core

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 Enterprise Edition. Laptop using an 11 gen Core i7, 16 GB Ram, 500 GB hard drive.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus RT-AX82U over WiFi

Connected Audio Devices

Apple TV 4k over WiFi

Number of Tracks in Library

Using Qobuz Streaming. Music Library is less than 10 tracks at this time.

Description of Issue

Two issues, I have a feeling they are related. First, although my roon core recognizes my apple tv 4k as a roon ready device and I have enabled it (with password enabled), it will not play any tracks. This is true whether the tracks are local are streamed over Qobuz. It will queue the tracks, but when I press play the navigation bar never budges from 0.00. If I fast forward, it will likewise remain at whatever place in the navigation I have placed it.

I have also noticed I cannot get my roon remote app to find my roon core. This is true of both my apple device and my android device.

Roon will play through my computer without any issues, both through streaming and local files. I have gone through my network settings to ensure that multicast is turned on. Not really sure what to do at this point as I have surfed through other posts where people had issues with apple tv and roon remote apps not working, but none of these fixes are helping me at this time. I sincerely appreciate any help that can be provided.

Hey @Cory_Robertson,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your question, and welcome to the community! We’re excited to have you here, but also apologize for the delayed response and for your wait. We’ve made some recent changes to the support team structure and some reports have experienced a longer response time than usual.

Since some time has passed I wanted to touch base to get your current status. After checking your account diagnostics it looks like you were able to connect to your apple tv. If you’re still experiencing this problem and need assistance please let us know. We’ll be watching for your reply and get back in touch as quickly as we can. Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

I have experienced the second part of your problem recently, it turned out to be a windows issue. Going into settings and dropping the firewall (on my wired connection) corrected the problem, but is never a good idea. While I was doing this, I noticed that my home network was designated “public,” when it should be private. Apparently, a recent windows push changed my home network to “public.” I followed the article below and my iPad remote instantly connected. And, keeping the firewall running on the private network had no adverse effect.

I think maybe a lot of people don’t understand the computer security settings for a private vs public network. It’s not your network you are changing, but your computer’s security settings. When connecting to a public network such as Starbucks, etc., you want to use your computer’s public network security setting so it will be more “locked down.” When at home connecting to your home network, you want to use your computer’s home network security setting that is more open and less secure.

It appears that I was only able to connect to my apple tv when I downloaded Roon onto my wife’s macbook. For some reason my windows machine still isn’t allowing me to connect.

I attempted this, but now roon won’t connect to Qobuz and I get an error loading page, check your network connection message. I have reset my computer after making my network a private network.

Might want to look at this post:

FYI, my firewall allows Roon.exe and raatserver.exe ( my dac). Nothing specific to Quobuz that I notice.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.