Roon won't save album artwork after identifying albums

Have had this issue on an off over the years – it’s back! My library is about 1250 albums. Running on Mac OS X Mojave 10.14. NAS is SonicTransporter i5 running via Ethernet to MSB Reference DAC. Roon will quickly and easily “identify” the album, including artwork, but when it “saves,” the default black-and-white generic photo remains, and the album artwork does not appear. In the past, I have worked around this by tediously Googling and downloading album covers and “editing” the file for each album to use the art that I found – but each time you release a new version of Roon, those artwork covers vanish, and we’re back to generic black-and-white pictures with no ability to save album artwork.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Michael

Hello @Michael_Steinberg,

Just to verify, does this affect all albums?

Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Library > Import Settings?

Not all albums, maybe 1 in 3. Screenshot coming soon.

I appreciate the screenshot, @Michael_Steinberg.

Could you share an example of one of the albums that is experiencing this? Screenshots of the album page and the Album Artwork section of Edit for the album will help.

Thanks!

Dylan, here is a random example of an album that illustrates the problem. You can see that Roon quickly found the artwork, but then failed to save it. If you would like more examples, I can easily provide them. Many thanks!

Michael

I realize now you wanted a different screenshot, so here it is.

Thanks for the follow up @Michael_Steinberg and providing the screenshots requested in @dylan’s post above. Very appreciated!

Continuing forward, I have a few more questions regarding this behavior you are experiencing with you artwork. Kindly see below. Thanks!

1. You mentioned that in the past you had gotten around this behavior by manually adding the desired artwork. Does this still resolve the issue OR does it only fix things temporarily eventually returning to this state?

2. Have you tried reimporting/re-identifying one of these albums to verify if there are any changes in behavior here?

3. Have you tried adjusting any of you import setting just confirm if you make any new observations? For example…

58%20AM

• Artwork = "Prefer Roon"

20%20AM

• Album artwork = set to "Roon"

Thanks!
-Eric

Eric, here are answers:

1. My manual work-around “solves” the problem in the short-term. Each time Roon issues a new release, those albums seem to default back to the generic B&W photos, or at least SOME of them do that. Lately I gave up trying to keep fixing things.

2. I don’t think I can easily “reimport” as the metadata are stored on my SonicTransporter, not on a physical disc. Do you mean delete the album from Roon and then have it added again in a rescan? I guess I could try that… But I don’t really think the fault lies with the importation…

3. Re-“identifying” definitely isn’t the answer, because when I go to one of these albums with the generic B&W photos and I use Roon to “identify” the album, it brings up the correct artwork most of the time. Yet when I click on “save,” the tracks are saved, and the artwork is not.

4. If you are recommending changing the settings to “prefer Roon” for artwork and image, I can do that. Is that a recommendation?

Michael

Hello @Michael_Steinberg,

If you go to Edit for an album and choose re-scan, does this yield any changes for you?

This would definitely be a great data point in our investigation into this behavior you are experiencing. While you can have it set to any option you’d like long term, temporarily changing this setting and seeing if there is any change in the behavior you’re experiencing will give the team some greater insight into what may be occurring here.

Can you go through the process of identifying one of these albums and make a note of the time in which you do so. Respond here with the timestamp and I can enable diagnostics on your account so the team can take a closer look.

1 Like

Thanks, Dylan! Here’s what I can report so far:

1. I did all of these things at 10:47 AM Eastern time today, Friday, 11/2.

2. First, I re-scanned the album (“Reaching Out” by Grant Green, a randomly chosen example of the problem). Then I used Roon to “identify,” which brought up the correct artwork. When I clicked on “Save,” the artwork did NOT save.

3. Then I changed the setting in “Edit” from “No Image,” which was the previous setting, to “Roon.” I then used Roon to “identify,” which again brought up the correct artwork. When I clicked on “Save,” the artwork again did NOT save.

Kindly let me know what else I can do to be helpful here. I will be offline for a while starting in about 7 hours, i.e., 6:00 PM Eastern time today.

Michael

Thanks @Michael_Steinberg.

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Thanks, Dylan! Do I need to do anything else in the meantime?

Hi @Michael_Steinberg,

Nope, there’s nothing else you’ll need to do here. Once the report has reached us the team will take a look and then I’ll reach out as soon as I’ve received their feedback.

Hi @Michael_Steinberg,

I wanted to reach out because I’ve been keeping an eye on our servers, waiting for the aforementioned diagnostics report.

For some reason it is not reaching our servers, even after I tried re-enabling diagnostics on your account. I also ran a quick test and I was able to submit a similar report from my setup here, so something else is going on.

So we can move forward, I was hoping for now you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.