RoonBridge need to be re-enabled on the server at each reboot

Hello, I’m using a roon server and a roon bridge on a NanoPI Neo with DietPi.

Once enabled in Roon (Settings->Audio->networked devices), set my specific devices settings like DSD options, set the DSP options I need, and all works and as long as I do not reboot the bridge the device remains visible.
If I reboot the SBC with RoonBridge, Roon application tell me there’s none device available.
I can go in Roon settings again to re-enable the device. This time, all the previous parameters are already set as previously, but I have to re-enable it and put the device name again. Once again, I have to enable DSP settings as I want them (previous config is lost).

It’s like this since already several releases, and a bit annoying. As far as I remember there are some previous versions where the RoonBridge reboot was not a problem.

Is it something that can be fixed ?

Thanks

Hi @Pat ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. The insight is appreciated and sorry to here of the troubles.

Moving forward, to help aide in our evaluation of this behavior you are experiencing may I very kindly ask you to please provide the following:

• A brief but accurate description of your current setup using this link

• I would like to enable diagnostics on your account so our techs can have a closer look into this behavior. However before I enable this feature may I very kindly ask you to please reproduce the issue and note the time when the error occurs.

-Eric

Hi, here my setup.

Roon server:
Roon version 1.4 (build 300) stable 64bits
Local storage for music
Ethernet 1Gbps

Roon Bridge and DAC:
Version 1.0 (build 141) stable
OS DietPI 6.2 (latest) Linux 4.14.18-sunxi on NanoPI Neo in USB to Armature Hecate XMOS U208 in I2S/HDMI to DAC PS Audio DSD

Switch Netgear GS105

As mentionner earlier this pb arises since several version.
I reproduced the problem by a reboot of the bridge today (actually right now) at 9:15 PM (Paris time, 21:15:29 CET)

To be more accurate about my remarks on DSP, it is the “Sample rate conversion” I have also to re-enable in DSP, DSP is still ON but I lost the status ON for the Sample rate conversion. It is the unique feature I use in the DSP settings.

All (Zone for the bridge, and DSP) were re-enabled at Thu Mar 1 21:21:33 CET 2018 (timestamp on NanoPI SBC).

Thank you for the follow up @Pat!

Now that I have a sense as to when the error occurred I will go ahead and enable the mentioned diagnostics on your account. What this action will do is the next time the application is active on your core machine a diagnostics report containing a set of Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded directly to our servers. I will verify once the report has been received so you know that we have it.

-Eric

Hi Patrick, good to see you also on this forum :wink:

I believe the issue you are facing is related to read-only (or better said non-persistent) storage for the following folders on the endpoint:

/var/roon/RAATServer/Settings
/var/roon/RoonBridge/Database
/var/roon/RoonBridge/Settings

Make sure to copy those to permanent storage (to get it available back after each reboot) after you configure your Roon endpoint in Roon application.

@maniac yes, always the same :slightly_smiling_face:
The folders you mentioned do not exist on my server. Roon is installed in
/mnt/dietpi_userdata/roonserver
It’s a permanent storage. Thanks.

hmm i sas pretty sure that it would be the culprit as i had the same behavior on my streamer, but it’s based on picoreplayer and everything is running out of RAM once it boots.

so in this case i dunno :frowning:

Hi @Pat ---- Touching base with you to confirm that I have received the mentioned diagnostics report and will be attaching it to your ticket, which will then go to our tech team for analysis.

Once they have completed their evaluation and have passed your ticket back to me I will be sure to share their thoughts/findings with you ASAP. Your patience is very appreciated while the team conducts their investigation.

-Eric

1 Like

Thank you Eric, very good organization and support. Impressed :slight_smile:

If you check the nanopi for roonbridge running, does it look like this?

root@DietPi:~# ps -aux | grep -v grep | grep oon
root 1208 0.0 0.0 4288 760 ? Ss Mar01 0:00 /bin/sh /etc/roonbridge/start.sh
root 1213 0.0 1.1 690372 42888 ? Sl Mar01 0:01 RoonBridge --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonBridge.exe
root 1710 0.0 2.0 1391276 77184 ? Sl Mar01 1:22 RoonBridgeHelper --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonBridgeHelper.exe
root 1735 0.0 0.0 7124 868 ? S Mar01 0:00 /etc/roonbridge/Bridge/processreaper 1710
root@DietPi:~#

Hi here is the result, right now, I’m listening music:
root@DietPi:~# ps -aux | grep -v grep | grep oon
root 1029 0.0 0.0 1432 424 ? Ss Mar01 0:00 /bin/sh /etc/roonbridge/start.sh
root 1035 0.0 6.4 83620 32816 ? S<l Mar01 0:06 RoonBridge --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonBridge.exe
root 1919 0.0 11.8 108832 59740 ? Sl Mar01 3:41 RoonBridgeHelper --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonBridgeHelper.exe
root 1937 0.0 0.0 1708 412 ? S Mar01 0:00 /etc/roonbridge/Bridge/processreaper 1919
root@DietPi:~#

Hi, i think that rules out roonbridge on the nanopi as the culprit; looks to be the same as mine, and I have similar setup with dietpi/roonbridge (albeit on a raspberry pi).

I have installed RoonServer on my iMac Powerbook. May be I can set this last as the RoonServer instead of the one on my Ryzen PC, reboot the RoonBridge and see if the problem occurs too ?

Yes good idea if you can get roonserver running happily elsewhere to test. I’m running roonbridge on dietpiOS on a pi and on a “proper” PC, but roonserver is running on ubuntu desktop. I guess as dietpi OS is pretty much debian just a slimmed version, that it shouldnt make much difference, but there could be something in the way mounting works in dietpi.

So, I tested it twice.
I defined my Mac PowerBook as the RoonServer and disabled the previous server on Dietpi/x86 PC.
I use my Mac to control Roon.
In “Audio Zones” the RoonBridge (DietPI/NanoPI Neo) is not visible. I can see the Mac outputs (sound flowers, …), and the previous server’s outputs (Dietpi/x86 PC).
In Roon settings->Audio I see the RoonBridge (DietPI/NanoPI Neo) in the network devices and enable it with a name (blank by default).
I select the new zone, enable DSP option to let the “Sample rate conversion” enabled and play music.
I reboot the bridge (DietPI/NanoPI Neo), once rebooted, it is still not visible in the AudioZones.
In Roon settings->Audio, the network device is visible but not enabled and its name disappeared. I enable it, all settings seems ok, as they were previously.
The DSP settings are all off, so I re-enable the “Sample rate conversion”.

Seems, it’s not a problem with the server ?

I’ve no other roonbridge with DietPI to test.

Just adding for @Eric’s perspective / reproducibility: I see the exact same symptoms with Cuboxes running Armbian mainline (4.x kernel). Legacy (3.14.x kernel) is fine.

I think the USB drivers are not fully baked for the board – but that’s just me guessing.

Hi @Pat ---- Thank you for your patience and sharing the observations you’ve made during your troubleshooting while out team has been looking into this this behavior you have reported us. Very appreciated!

Continuing forward, our tech team has informed me that the logs that were received with the mentioned diagnostics report are almost completely “empty”, meaning that we’d expect to see numerous log files, (example below) and instead there are only 2. Based on these findings and the symptoms being experienced with RoonBridge the team, has some concerns in regard to the gear being used in your Roon setup. As such the team has asked for the following:

• Please provide us with the exact specs of the the *all devices being utilized in your setup.

• Just to confirm. In your setup description you mentioned that RoonServer is on a PC (w/DietPi 6.2) this is the Ryzen PC mentioned here, correct?

• During your troubleshooting of this issue have you tried with a different Linux distro on the mentioned PC? DietPi is a trimmed down OS and we are unsure how it will perform hosting a Roon core.

• I see you have also tested with RoonServer being hosted on an iMac Powerbook my understanding is that this device is rather old and I am worried that this computer may not have been up to the tase of hosting RoonServer. Is there a more up to date computer you can re-try this test with?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

The main setup is the one I mentioned before, I add my MacBook Pro (Mac not iMac, and MacBook not PowerBook, sorry for these typo errors).

In details.

Roon server:
Roon version 1.4 (build 300) stable 64bits on amd64 architecture
OS: DietPI 6.2 (latest version for x86) on PC Ryzen 1600 DDR4 8GB 3200MHz
OS, Roon installation and library are located on SSD/NVME 240 GB (PNY CS2030 M2 2280)
Local storage for music files on 2TB HD (SSHD) on SATA
Ethernet 1Gbps
MotherBoard Gigabyte AB350M D3H
This RoonServer is used in replacement of a NUC Core i3 (the red one with a I3 gen 2 BYxxxx).

Roon Bridge and DAC:
Version 1.0 (build 141) stable
OS DietPI 6.2 (latest) Linux 4.14.18-sunxi on NanoPI Neo in USB to Armature Hecate XMOS U208 in I2S/HDMI to DAC PS Audio DSD
The NanoPI Neo is an ARM board with H3 processor
The Armature Hecate is an XMOS U208 USB interface with isolated outputs I2S + Coax S/PDIF

Switch Netgear GS105

Optionaly my alternative Roon Core server I used for the other tests:
MacBook Pro 15’’ Core i7 3.2GHz 16GB DDR3 RAM and 512GB/SSD

Note that when I used my old setup with the NUC Roon server (so, before the Ryzen PC), this problem already existed!
The replacement by the Ryzen PC brings me more power to handle the DSP room corrections (with HAF) I plan to do in a near future.

Note also (a key point ??) that Both the NanoPI and the Hecate board share a common dedicated linear PSU.
The Hecate board is powered by its USB input but not by the NanoPI USB output. The Hecate’s USB +5V is feed directly with the same linear PSU than the NanoPI (so, not passing through the NanoPI’s USB output).
The Hecate board is always seen at NanoPI reboot time. But the fact is at a reboot time, the Hecate is never shutted down. If I power down both NanoPI and Hecate (unplug the PSU) and power up, it’s the same, I have to re-enable them on the Server’s configuration. The NanoPI uses always the same IP adress.

Thank you for follow up and taking the time to answer my questions, @Pat. Very appreciated!

My apologies for not including the mentioned “example” :dizzy_face: above. As mentioned, the “Roon logs” folder we received with the diagnostics report was almost completely empty and our techs have expressed concerns about the Roon core running under DietPi as it is “trimmed” down OS. In light of this, I touched base with the team today to get a sense as to what the “next steps” should be here in addressing this issue you are experiencing with your Roon setup. As per the conversation the tech team has asked if you would kindly perform the following:

• Please load ubuntu on the device hosting RoonServer (i.e PC Ryzen).

• Reproduce the issue once more as you had done previously being sure to provide timestamps of when the issue occurred.

• Once the issue has been replicated and the time has been noted I will go ahead and re-enable diagnostics on your account.

-Eric

From the diagnostics gathered from your system:
28 PM

Diagnostics that were gathered from my “test” setup:
03 PM

@eric Hi Eric,

When you say “Please load ubuntu on the device hosting RoonServer …”, you mean “Please load DietPI on the device hosting RoonServer”.
Because, it would be painful to reinstall my whole setup. DietPI is a Debian (like Ubuntu) with some additional software. I use the DietPI installation command to install Roon Server.

So I reproduced the problem by a reboot of the RoonBridge SBC

------------- REBOOT RoonBridge SBC (NanoPI Neo / DietPI 6.4) ----------------
root@DietPi:~# uname -a ;date; reboot
Linux DietPi 4.14.18-sunxi #24 SMP Fri Feb 9 16:24:32 CET 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
Sat 10 Mar 12:09:30 CET 2018
Connection to 192.168.0.37 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.0.37 closed.
MacBook-Pro-de-Patrick:Downloads patrick$

-------------- Logs list on Ryzen PC with Roon Server / DietPI 6.4 -----------------------
root@DietPi:~# uname -a; date; ls -l /mnt/dietpi_userdata/roonserver/RoonServer/Logs/
Linux DietPi 4.14.13 #1 SMP Wed Mar 7 00:17:48 CET 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Sat 10 Mar 12:10:20 CET 2018
total 5824
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 117167 Mar 10 11:16 RoonServer_log.01.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 57799 Mar 10 09:38 RoonServer_log.02.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 56817 Mar 10 09:32 RoonServer_log.03.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 592884 Mar 10 09:28 RoonServer_log.04.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 570909 Mar 10 08:58 RoonServer_log.05.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 102787 Mar 9 19:05 RoonServer_log.06.txt
-rwxrwxr-x 1 dietpi dietpi 4129521 Mar 9 18:59 RoonServer_log.07.txt
-rwxrwxr-x 1 dietpi dietpi 55692 Mar 8 23:29 RoonServer_log.08.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 242643 Mar 10 12:10 RoonServer_log.txt

Now in Roon on my Mac Powerbook, I don’t see my bridge. I did the following:

• Re-enable the Audio device (menu Settings->Neworked->ROON Trexo device), the previous settings have not changed since previous listening session (all parameters intacts as usual)
  • Put again the name of the Audio device (reset to blank): NanoPat-XMOSU208
  • In DSP Window, the DSP is left ON but the “Sample rate conversion” is now OFF. I reset it to ON, all previous parameters are lost, I have to re-set all my preferred settings (Conversion Filter, Sigma-Delta, Parallelized Sigma-Delta)

Now, the settings are re-enabled and the music plays. I launched the commands on both server and bridge.

-------------- Logs list on Ryzen PC with Roon Server / DietPI 6.4 -----------------------
root@DietPi:~# uname -a; date; ls -l /mnt/dietpi_userdata/roonserver/RoonServer/Logs/
Linux DietPi 4.14.13 #1 SMP Wed Mar 7 00:17:48 CET 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Sat 10 Mar 12:12:54 CET 2018
total 5848
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 117167 Mar 10 11:16 RoonServer_log.01.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 57799 Mar 10 09:38 RoonServer_log.02.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 56817 Mar 10 09:32 RoonServer_log.03.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 592884 Mar 10 09:28 RoonServer_log.04.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 570909 Mar 10 08:58 RoonServer_log.05.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 102787 Mar 9 19:05 RoonServer_log.06.txt
-rwxrwxr-x 1 dietpi dietpi 4129521 Mar 9 18:59 RoonServer_log.07.txt
-rwxrwxr-x 1 dietpi dietpi 55692 Mar 8 23:29 RoonServer_log.08.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 268566 Mar 10 12:12 RoonServer_log.txt