RoonServer/Roon ROCK failing to start after updating

Roon Core Machine

ROCK running on intel NUC. Not sure of model or Roon server build and cannot access to check

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

My Roon remotes on desktop and mobile cannot connect to ROCK server after update. Unable to access since a month or so. Seems like the issue described in this article:

Unable to follow the instructions to stop server as I cannot access the Roon server. Obviously not via the Roon remote. Have tried the alternatives described in below without success:

I have found the bits folder through my desktop running macOS but have not dared to delete it as I the server is still running. I have tried manually restarting the intel NUC by pressing the power button but when switched off the server folders are obviously not seen in finder. When powered up again the folders are visible but problem with Roon remote accessing the server remains.

Any help to get this tired father since 19 months finally resolving the issues and accessing his music much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Can you access ROCK using http://rock.local? If this doesn’t work, try the IP address, which should bbe possible given this:

Also, did you upgrade Roon to version 2.0 or is it still on 1.8? What version of Roon is running on the remotes? Completing the following information, requested in the template, would be helpful.

Please be sure to include details of your core, network, storage location of your media files, and any messages displayed by Roon. Thank you.

Roon Core Machine

<!‐-Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>

Networking Gear & Setup Details

<!‐-Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet, are you using VPN-‐>

Connected Audio Devices

<!‐-Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)-‐>

Number of Tracks in Library

<!‐-Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”-‐>

Description of Issue

<!-‐Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!-‐>

Including these details in your first post helps resolve your issues faster.

Can you access ROCK using http://rock.local?

No, error message “Failed to load device state (UnexpectedError). Please refresh.”

If this doesn’t work, try the IP address, which should bbe possible given this:

According to router ROCK ip is 192.168.0.138. When trying this in a browser I get message “Failed to load device state (UnexpectedError). Please refresh.”

Also, did you upgrade Roon to version 2.0 or is it still on 1.8? What version of Roon is running on the remotes? Completing the following information, requested in the template, would be helpful.

Roon updated to 2.0 and have been working fine in current setup including ARC.

Please be sure to include details of your core, network, storage location of your media files, and any messages displayed by Roon. Thank you.

### Roon Core Machine

<!‐-Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)-‐>

Roon core running on intel NUC as ROCK. I do not have more info at hand and since I cannot access it it is hard for me to check. Music files on USB HD connected to NUC.

### Networking Gear & Setup Details

<!‐-Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet, are you using VPN-‐>

ROCK connected with ethernet to router D-LINK DIR-882. Roon Remotes on desktop and iPhones connected to router over WiFi.

### Connected Audio Devices

<!‐-Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)-‐>
I do not think this has any impact on current issue but I have a SolidRun Cubox i4 with Volumio connected with ethernet to the router running as a Roon end point. HiFace 2 USB->SPDIF feeding my DAC.

### Number of Tracks in Library

<!‐-Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”-‐>
I donÂŽt know how many tracks but it is about 400 GB ripped CDs in FLAC format.

### Description of Issue

<!-‐Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!-‐>

As stated above.

Many regards

Adding to above:

Roon Remote on iPhone version 2.0.7 build 1182

Roon Remote on macOS appears to be version 1.0 (not possible to see “About Roon” in the program but 1.0 is what is stated when looking at file in Finder)

I know we are just through some major holidays which probably has had impact on the support staffing. With the new year starting to take off I hope to get some attention from the support team on this case again.
Many regards

Hi @Hans_Moller,

My apologies for the slower response to your issue. The holidays did slow us down but I’m here to help.

I looked at Roon’s servers and can confirm that as long as the email account associated with your community profile is the same, your ROCK hasn’t been seen since 11/30/22. I’m hoping the backups were done regularly!

Can you connect the NUC via HDMI to a monitor or TV and take of pic of what’s going on there and share it here? If you’re not getting any video output, please see below.

Here’s the KB for reinstalling ROCK as a next step:

Regards,
Wes

The email account is the same and the stated time seem correct.

I will connect the NUC to a monitor as requested but this might take a few days as I do not have any TV or monitor at home so this has to be done at a friend.

Regretfully I never managed to successfully create any backup
 I do not remember what kind of error I got at this stage. It has been a while
 Is there a reasonably straight forward way to recover the user data e.g. copying some folders or so from the existing system prior to flashing a new operating system on the drive? I do have access to the various folders from my desktop over the network.

Worst case I have to start completely fresh but it would be nice if possible to keep history et cetera.

1 Like

Hi Hans,

Please let me know the outcome of your monitor (or TV) connection. It’s possible no data has been lost but we have to start with this.

Wes

I have now hooked up the NUC to a monitor and plugged an ethernet cable as well. The first photo show the monitor connected to the NUC and the other the web UI displayed on a computer on the same network. The web UI is a frozen screen only and does not respond when mouse clicking on e.g. the power button.

Hardware is;

Intel NUC / NUC5i5RYH with 8 GB RAM

What OS are you running on the second screeshot. That looks like an ancient version of Windows and IE. That may be the reason the screen doesn’t render correctly.

Do you have a smart phone or tablet. If so, try the IP address in these, i.e., http://192.168.1.246.

This is something quite exotic :sunglasses: It is a Pentium4 running Windows XP I believe. My father is a retired architect and keeps this old workstation alive solely to run an old version of Autocad when needed. I used it as I had robbed the slightly more modern computer of its monitor to use with the NUC. I did not have my iphone connected to the local network but I can retry on next visit.

Just to clarify, the pictures is when the NUC is connected in a different location/network at my fathers place. When trying to access the web UI via the ip in my home network I got an error message as described in above screen shot.

In a previous message you wrote:

Yet in that screenshot of the monitor connected to your NUC’s HDMI port it claims the address to be 192.168.1.246 - i.e. a different address in a different subnet.

OK - I now see that this would be the IP address when connected at your father’s place. Then it becomes understandable that the Web Administration interface would not display correctly in the ancient version of Internet Explorer running on Windows XP

Yes that is what I intended to clarify: In the two last pictures the NUC has been moved from my home network to a different physical location where the monitor is.

I.e. I have not been able to connect the monitor to the NUC in its original working location which is my home.

And what happens if you use the browser on a smartphone to access 192.168.0.138 at home as @Martin_Webster suggested?

Saw your new message a bit late

I do not think I tried entering the ip in a browser in my phone when trying initially but I tried it from on macOS 10.15.7 with Safari 14.0 and possibly I also tried on Firefox 92.0.1 (not quite as ancient). The NUC is still at my father’s place so I cannot re-check now.

Does it give any more needed info to try to connect to the NUC at my fathers from my phone?

If you and your phone ( on the wifi network) are at your father’s then the modern browser in your phone should display the Web Administration page correctly

1 Like

Please tell me this isn’t connected to the Internet.

2 Likes

No the old relic is generally offline even if I exposed it to the internet for a few minutes when trying to access the Roon Rock.

I have now accessed the web UI at my father’s place from my iPhone with the following results:

Initial status

After clicking start

At some try it appeared successful

But then followed by

All attempts connecting with Roon remote or ARC failed.

After this the NUC was reinstalled at home (with no monitor available)

This time I can access the web UI on both laptop and iPhone. The displayed messages varies but it never works properly.

One of displayed messages

What are the next steps to take? With the web UI accessible I guess it should be possible to follow the guide I linked to in the initial post since stopping the server should be possible but with your support my question is if this is the way to resolve the problems or if any other actions to be taken. Also consider the lack of back up and the wish to preserve user history et cetera.

Do you have a backup of your Roon database?

If you reinstall the Operating System via the button in the web GUI, this will pull the latest Roon Server software, and should, hopefully, resolve matters. I’m pretty sure this won’t overwrite your database, but I’m not 100% certain.

If you have a known good backup this shouldn’t be a concern.

Alternatively, wait for Roon @support to respond.

1 Like

Hi @Hans_Moller,

The suggestion @Martin_Webster had is the best one at this point.

The next step is to attempt to reinstall ROCK. Since there is no backup, the only possible way to preserve any data is if you can get into the drive via SMB.

Here is the guide for ROCK again for your convenience:

1 Like