Roonserver running on Synology NAS will not open on pc and phone

Hello, hope you can help.

I’ve installed the roonserver on my synology nas (status Ready).
NASsoftware = 7.2-64570 update 3.
NASserver

If I click on connect from the pc software or android phone app it will not open

As a test I installed the roonserver on my pc and that works (pc and phone find the server and load all music)

I don’t understand what the problem is

• I use a fixed ip for my NAS
  • My Norton firewall settings:
  • My NAS and PC are in the same private network and use the same network name

I Appreciate you help.
Sjirk

Describe your network.

I have access to the folders on the NAS
verkenner

Welcome to the community.

Have you tried a reboot of the modern/router and the NAS?
Also, do you have any firewall running on the NAS?

Thank you SvenM & ipeverywhere for helping.
I’ve shut down everything from clients to router and modem.
Restarted modem. router and clients.
Same problem.
It makes me think that it is the Synology DSM 7 software what keeps me from access.
I have giving Roonserver read and write permissions on the Roon shared folder on my nas and giving read permissions to the shared music folder on my nas.

What do you think?
I have not activated the firewall on my nas:

Is there a way to give bypass this?

1. Disable Roon server on your PC, restart everything and see what happens.

2. Uninstall Roon on NAS, then reinstall it. Keep notes about how you answer the installation questions, and then share those notes here so we can understand more about your installation.

Don’t think so. I am running the same thing without a problem. My first take was "OMG, Norton! :frowning: " but as the phone has the same problem (or do you run Norton on the mobile too?)

Roon runs as a temporary solution well on my nas. No extra security used. D SM 7
Accessible for android and I devices

Hello DDPS, option 1 have tried that again, makes no difference. Uninstalling, did that 2 days again, same results. I can do that again and share the notes. I had to install it manually. I had to copy RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2 to my NAS otherwise the install would stop.
Roonserver Install (did not do it with linux code, copying the bz2 in the right directory worked).
The first time I installed the package, I didn’t had that isue, but that was a few months ago. I stopped then because I had the same problem as now.

Hello Bernd, Norton is running on the phone. As a test I used a new tablet without any antivirus or firewall software. Same result, can connect (wifi) to my pc (wifi or LAN) that has the roonserver software but not to the server on the NAS. Both servers show green with connect next to it.

Greetings, Sjirk

Well there is your answer; installing the raw Linux binary on your Synology won’t work. You need to use the .spk (Synology PacKage) file for Roon on NAS here:

https://roononnas.org/en/synology-dsm7/

You will then also need these packages if you have any .m4a (AAC) format music:

https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

Basic guidance for installing that is in the first post on A Roon on (Synology) NAS Primer

That is the only official way to run Roon on your Synology. Please remove all other installations before doing so.

I used the spk file from that website. Animated gif 1 shows why a online installation doesn’t work for me. I run the spk with a offline installation: animated gif 2. The server is running. Or am I wrong?

For those that have DSM 7 or higher running on their NAS can you upload your logfiles from the RoonGoer and the RoonServer directories? So I can compare them with mine.

Thanks everyone for helping. I really like the software and music :slight_smile:

Online installation which fails:

Offline installation which seems to work:

Sjirk

I just checked the download URL and it works for me. So question is why not for you? Roon does not work if it can’t reach its servers which is why you are unable to use Roon (that’s what your issue looks like to me) – even after a manual installation (which shouldn’t be necessary as the download URL is operational). Do you have a VPN configured on your NAS? Other software running on your NAS that might intercept/block internet traffic?

What doesn’t help? Obviously something seems to block Roon Server running on your NAS from communicating with Roon Labs servers on the internet. You need to unblock that communication to be able to use Roon. We don’t know what software/setting on your NAS or in your network might cause the blockage because we simply don’t know the details of your setup. If you need help to identify the culprit you may have to list details (software, settings) here. If you want to keep such information private you may have to figure it out yourself or ask someone nearby, with potentially more networking knowledge, that you trust to come by your place and have a look at your setup.

Your first response which you deleted didn’t help. But this answer does help! Then I need to find out what is keeping my roonserver from contacting internet. Router, NAS settings, software. I’ve contacted Roon by mail and they confirmed that my problem is in their queue. If I have the answer I will post it here. Thank you

Hi @Sjirk ,

Since Roon works as expected on your PC, it would suggest that this issue is related to the Synology or some configuration setting on it. Have you tried to update your Synology DNS server to use Google / Cloudflare? Can you check to see if you have multiple network interfaces active on the Synology when the issue occurs?

Please note that we cannot specify the exact network settings that you need to use on your Synology, and your case is a bit outside the scope of support. I’ve moved the thread over to QNAP/Synology NAS section so that you can continue to discuss with others more knowledgeable in this area.

1 Like

Oke, thank you noris for moving the post to the NAS section. I hope I get some tips.
Sjirk

I don’t have a theory for what’s happening with your setup. It seems that the theory is that either your NAS or the Roon package itself can’t access the internet. I don’t understand this theory because other things would be breaking if your NAS can’t access the internet. Can you, for example, access the “Package” app, and if so, does it complain that it can’t access the internet?

Some of us that run our Roon cores on Synology and other NAS devices use Docker to do it. Docker containers are very efficient and Roon runs as well for me in Docker as it did as a package. Better, in fact, since the package was broken for a while when DSM 7 was released and also is, in my opinion, more complex due to the needs for package-specific accounts. The container-based approach just works.

I wrote a walkthrough in 2021 for how to set up a container in DSM 7. Now that DSM 7.2 supports compose files, I use that approach. But the DMS 7 approach still works even though you have to figure out the new UI equivalents of what I described in the walkthrough. Still…if you’re frustrated and want to give it a shot, this is probably enough to get you going:

Actually, if you know Docker a bit and want to try to create a Project instead of a Container, this can work for your compose. You’d need to follow the first portions of my walkthrough which describe how to create the correct folder/file structure and then plug the right paths into this. This is close to what I do now.

version: "3.3"
services:
  roonserver:
    image: steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver:latest
    container_name: roonserver
    restart: unless-stopped
    hostname: roonserver
    volumes:
      # update the paths before the colons with your own equivalents
      - /volume1/docker/roonserver/app:/app
      - /volume1/Backups/RoonBackups:/backup
      - /volume1/docker/roonserver/data:/data
      - /volume1/Music/HiRes:/music
    network: host
    environment:
      # update with your own timezone
      - TZ=America/Los_Angeles

Hello gTunes, thank you for taking the time to help. I found the answer. It was my router. In the settings I had the NAS with the wrong mac adress (DHCP binding). After I changed it to the right mac adress it worked. I re-installed the Roon server with no problems.

Thank you all for helping!
Sjirk

3 Likes

Glad you got it fixed!