rooNuimo – best Roon controller ever

Hello DrCWO,
Regarding your last post about the Nuimo firmware upgrade, how can we check the actual firmware version of the Nuimo ? The 2.5.0 version seems to be the last one, do you know what’s inside this upgrade ? Do you recommend to upgrade our Nuimo ?
Have a good day.
Texas_tattoo

In the document mentioned above there are instructions how to read out the firmware release. 2.5. ist the latest so if you have this there is no need for an upgrade.
All Nuimos I sold via Sellcodes have this release. The update may only be necessary for devices you get from Ebay or somewhere else.
Best DrCWO

Hi
Really cool product!
I have a naim stereo set up feed by a chord DAC and a pro-ject streamer.
First, will your products work with it? If so, how does the attenuation takes place? At the amplifier or roon core level? If it happens at the roon corr, will it have any effect on sound quality when listening to music?

Thanks for answering!

Walter

Hi @Walter_Del_Castillo,
rooExtend and in this case rooNuimo relies on Roon.

This means: If you can control volume with the slider in your Roon App you also can control it with the Nuimo, no matter which device you like to control. As the Roon Bridge is included in rooExtend you can also directly connect a USB-DAC to the Raspberry Pi.

The volume control configuration is done in the device settings of Roon. So if you had configured Device Volume rooNuimo will use it. If you had configured DSP Volume rooNuimo will use this.

Regarding DSP volume see my whitepaper about the Roon DSP volume implementation. To sum it up: Roon implemented it in a perfect way so there are absolutely no concerns regarding audio quality if you use DSP volume.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Excellent! I will take a look at your website.
Best regards

Walter

One more question. Anyway to get a nuimo volume controller second hand? Nothing comes up online.

Walter

I set a trigger on Ebay-Kleinanzeigen. Most I saw appear there but you have to be quick. Some time ago @Klaus_Engel posted some offers here. If you are lucky not all of them are already sold…

Best DrCWO

I found two current offer for Nuimo Controls here:

Senic Nuimo Control in schwarz für Sonos / Philips Hue oder RooNuimo - schwarz | eBay
Senic Nuimo Control in schwarz für Sonos / Philips Hue oder RooNuimo - weiß | eBay

Be quick if you like to get one…

They probably will have an old firmware release.
Please contact me as I can give advise for firmware update.

Best DrCWO

Hi all,

looking into this extension, I was wondering if the Nuimo controller can be combined with the Deep Harmony extension. As far as I can see it is possible with the rooDial extension but wanted to confirm if this is also possible with Nuimo.
Thanks.

Should work the same as rooDial :+1:

1 Like

I have problems with the Bluetooth-range of my Raspi 4 2GB! I use a geekworm case similar like this: - I already removed the upper shield, this bettered the situation by about 1 m range. All’n all i never get more then 2 to 3 m and loose connection ever so often. Question: Can i better the range by using a USB bluetooth-dongle? I already waiting for the availability of the new rooExtend-Box, is the situation with this new box better? Thx in advance,

– Bernd

Yes the Doctor has a list of the supported BT dongles.
I use two TP-Link UB400 Nano USB BT dongles on my Pi’s and they work great for me, but I think the Doctor has an external one that he recommends now as it can be moved completely away from the Pi

The Amazon UK link to the TP-Link is https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NQ5YGDW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best look for the zexmte Bluetooth 5.1 antenna. My impression is it delivers the widest distance.

It works even better if you use a USB extension cable and put the antenna half a meter or more away from the Pi. I have my Pi in a wooden drawer and attached the antenna to the front board from the inside.

Best DrCWO

Thanks @Michael_Harris and @DrCWO i have several BT-Dongles from my Hackintosh-Times lying around which i may test, but i already ordered the zexmte, seems the best solution for sticking the pi in a drawer with a usb-extension.

2 Likes

@Tom_Westwood,
this is not a new feature in the latest release. This is in since a very long time.

Why does this happen?
As the Nuimo handles the absolute values of the volume (0…100, -80dB…0db) by itself it has to know if the volume got changed outside the device to update its internal volume setting.
So every time volume got changed for the zone the Nuimo is connected to, the volume value has to be sent to the Nuimo and will be displayed during this action.

Maybe @Klaus_Engel will think about disabling the display of the volume to enlarge battery life. Despite of that the Nuimo will be awoken to save the changed volume level. But maybe not displaying it will save some battery.

Best DrCWO

I am intrigued, what kind of combination synergy is there to be had? Perhaps a (deep) harmony button can be mapped to the Nuimo? That would be straight-up gold!

As I know Harmony can control audio devices by infrared. The is a free roon Extension that enables to change volume of audio devices by infrared. Using this in combination with rooNuimo you can control volume of you audio devices that require infrared.

Best DrCWO

I have such a Harmony device and I have the deep harmony extension, how do I map Harmony actions to Nuimo button presses?

You can only use volume control. In Roon you have the +/- Button to control volume of such an infrared zone. If this works you can select this zone in in rooNuimo too and control volume of you audio device with the Nuimo.

Please describe what exactly you like to do…

Best DrCWO

I have a Primaluna valve amp, which has the option to switch between triode and ultra linear mode with the press of a button on the remote. It would be awesome if I could map this button (through the Harmony extension) on my Nuimo.

A while back we also discussed the wish to add multiple press and long press customizability to the Nuimo. Any eta for this functionality?