rooUPnP: Finally a Roon Extension for UPnP Streamers

No, not so easy and get hold of pi these days.

I ordered 4 a couple of weeks ago from Amazon and arrived in 2 day’s. 4GB models were fine
I was expecting a delay but no problem.

Hi Richard,
what platform do you use? Raspberry Pi4?
You must use the right image for your platform. There are two, one for the Pi and one for the Nuimo Hub.

rooUPnP only works if the Pi or the Nuimo Hub are connected via wired Ethernet. Please see the Quick Installation Guide in the download area here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1c72vVpuuVlIWJpB8flVAZlHXmW2KNd1k?usp=sharing
Best DrCWO

I have Roon Core on a NUC I have a Naim ND5XS, not Roon Ready! Will RooUPnP work the same as Sonore UPnP bridge? has there been any problems with RooUPnP?

Hello
I just bought a license of RooUPnP for a Bel Canto Design refstream (the old model)
I 'm waiting my raspberry 4B 8G …

Anybody knows if it works with roon and is combatible?
Best wishes

It should. I provide a list with tested devices by customers here in my download area: rooExtend - Google Drive

Best DrCWO

I’ve used RooUPnP with a Naim NDS and it works very well.

There is an issue where if you have a mixed resolution playlist playback can stop on track change. This also occurs with the UPNPBridge plugin to Logiutech Media Server which RooUPnP uses, albeit to a lessor extent for some reason.

This is of no consequence if you play full albums as resolution changes within an album are rare but it does become irritating if you use Roon Radio extensively.

You can work round this by sending FLAC to the streamer, but you may be aware that the legacy Naim streamers sound slightly better if they receive PCM or WAV due to the overhead of decompressing the FLAC stream within the Naim device.

The Sonore UPnP bridge also runs on a Raspberry Pi but uses a cusom sofware build not avaiable separately so you have to pay for the bridge and software in a single purchase. I’m using one at the moment and this does not have the problems above. One thing to note is that the Sonore device can only output to a single device wherease RooUPnP support multiple endpoints.

1 Like

Thank you guys most helpful, I managed to get hold of a Pi4 4GB off Amazon, the Canakit power supply coming Monday so I can try it. One more thing though, does the Micro SD need to be formatted in in any specific format, ExFat Fat32 etc?

Thanks Dave.

Hi David Balenetcher will overwrite the micro SD card, so you don’t need to worry about that. The format is part of the image file.

Thanks Michael

1 Like

Best Use Balena Etcher für copying the image.

Hi rooUPnP community,
as announced some time ago I disabled the evaluation license key for rooUPnP right now.

This means the freee License Key 69962830-E872-4031-BE07-1FE12D62818F cannot be used any more to make rooUPnP work.

Please buy a License Key from my website https://rooExtend.com if you like to continue using rooUPnP.

Best DrCWO

Hi,
The evaluation licence expired so I purchased a full licence last night.
After putting the new licence code in, Roon just constantly says searching - see screenshot.
Any ideas?
Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 16.50.50

What the best/safest way to shut down the RPI with Extend installed? or doesn’t it matter just unplug? I don’t know the password to get in and use shutdown command.

Hi David,
just unplug. The Linux below rooExtend is near ram disk. only the file for the settings is saved on the SD card. This means it is absolutely safe to just unplug it.

Best DrCWO

Hello [DrCWO] I have two streamers using your application a Marantz M-CR511
that works flawless at any frequence and flac 24
But the Belcanto Refstream accepts only MP3 à 48K.
Normally the streamer can handle easily any wav, flac or other high res files
Any idea what it means?
Am I reading on Mp3? Any possible evolution?
Maybe an update?
Capture d’écran 2022-01-07 à 22.44.59

UPnP implementations between manufacturers differ a lot.

In case of rooUPnP there is an other speciality. Via rooUPnP Roon sends a continuous data stream instead of length limites data files for each track. This is like streaming internet radio.

Not all player accept FLAC radio streams. In normal life this is no problem as radio ist mostly transmitted via mp3. But for rooUPnP it is essential. If there is no update for the BelCanto I am not able to help. I thought about implementing a scheme that sends single FLAC files for each track. I did not because it will be a huge effort and too less customers.

UPnP is an old and not well defined standard. So rooUPnP was thought to help people with elder devices to use Roon before they switch to a Roon Ready device.

If you are lucky and BelCanto offers a new firmware that will work.

Best DrCWO

Is your extension compatible with DSD format?

Hello.

How can you from this screenshot see Roon broadcast in MP3?

@ [DrCWO]
Thank you for your answer.
Does this means that roon streams as an MP3? Event if the source is a quality flac?
What does it means the setup mp3 in rooUPnP?
Thank you

@CHRISTOPHE_BOURGEOIS

Are you reffering to Refstream Belcanto?
Normally low DSD yes?
Otherwise Flac and PCM yes