rooUPnP: Finally a Roon Extension for UPnP Streamers

Ok but that was not my question. It is non-sense to add a device (and buy it) to run the extension when you can just run it on the server machine. It just complicates everything

It was your first question and I was only passing on the answer to you, maybe not the answer that you wanted but an answer none the less.

Thanks anyway, appreciated. Iā€™ll wait for an answer from the dev

1 Like

@Simone_Filippini,
this may look like nonsense (what an uggly word :cold_sweat: ) for you but not for me :wink:

Me, DrCWO I am a one man show and like to develop Roon Extensions what I did for more than one year now.

Looking at the length of all my rooExtend support threads you will get an impression of how much time I spend helping my customers to make most of the SD-Card-Image I supply. This is the absolute maximum I can and like to invest for suport. My goal is to create useful Roon Extensions and not to run a support only business.

Offering my rooExtend Roon Extensions on other platforms or making it available for tinkering guys will increase requests for support that I will not be able to handle.

Hope you now understand why rooExtend is ONLY available as a SD-Card-Image for Raspberry and the Nuimo Hub.

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

Apologies if this as already been answered, but can rooDial and rooUPnP coexist on the same RPi4? As you know, new RPi4 boards are nearly impossible to find. It would be helpful if I could use one for both functions. Thanks.

Hi @David_Snyder,
in general all my Roon Extensions can coexist on one single Raspberry Pi.
There is one single exception: rooDial and rooNuimo are mutual exclusive.
Also Roon Bridge can coexist with all other Roon Extensions on one Pi.
Hope this helps.
Best DrCWO

1 Like

Hello @DrCWO ,
Hoping youā€™ll be able to help me out.

I have a Naim Audio HDX-SSD UPnP player which is not found by Roon after installing the RooUPnP extension. Any known issues with this particular Naim device?

Thanks

The Naim HDX is a server player, not a UPNP streamer so it wonā€™t work sadly.

Hi @Brandon_Finley,
I looked a boi around in the Web. I fear that @Trickydickieis all right. HDX is a UPnP Server that can play music by its own but not a UPnP client that can recieve music from elsewere.

I am sorry, but I canā€™t help here :cold_sweat:
Best DrCWO

Darn! Well, consider this a product request!
Iā€™d love to be able to add this functionality.
Thanks for checking!

@Brandon_Finley, you have to ask Naim for that, not me.
I canā€™t do anything differently at this point, sorry :cold_sweat:

Ok thanks. Sounds like thereā€™s no way to bridge the roon server to a upnp server.
Thanks for checking.

1 Like

If you want to run a Roon server and a bridge then you could sell the HDX and by a used NDX instead. It probably wouldnā€™t cost too much to make the change if your HDX is in good order. If you already have a separate power supply (XPS or 555) then a used NDS is even better (sublime!).

The NDX and HDX are broadly similar in sound quality, i.e. excellent but the NDX is a UPNP streamer and DAC rather than a UPNP Server/Player. The NDS mentioned above was Naims flagship player until the Ā£16000 ND555 (plus PSU) came on the scene,

You would lose the ability to rip and store on the HDX but given the move to Roon you can work round that I suspect,

2 Likes

Appreciate the commentary @Trickydickie
I have considered (and still am) the NDS/NDX swap. My HDX is in fantastic condition.

The biggest challenge I have is that I do use the HDX as a CD transport into my nDAC. I would need to replace the CD transport as well as streaming function in separate boxes at equal or better quality.

Also, (despite being in a key demographic for it) I donā€™t stream music very much (for sound quality purposes). I definitely prioritize CDs for my digital music consumption.

Iā€™ll continue to think about the options.
Thanks

rooExtend v2.3.0 will provide streaming of CDs into Roon :smile:

1 Like

Havenā€™t played a physical CD in many many months. The Meridian CDT is virtually unused.
All CDs are ripped, and played through Roon to my NDS Network player.

1 Like

@DrCWO, thanks for producing an interesting option for keeping our legacy streamers going. I have implemented rooUPNP with my Naim NDS, in my case it works OK on a Pi 3b. I have been using Sonore UPNP for several years and it works well, but of course only for one device unlike your solution. The only problem I have with rooUPNP is that it will not handle Roon Radio and can be hit and miss with playlists, especially if there is a format change within the list. Do you have any plans to work on these issues?

Enabling FLAC compression will overcome this which is what I do for my Qute.

As you know Naim equipment sounds best receiving WAV/PCM which is why Iā€™ve stayed with the SonoreBridge for my NDS as it deserves it!

1 Like

I started with FLAC compression, but unfortunately it just didnā€™t work for me. I also tried upsampling everything to 24/192 on the Roon core, which works OK on RooUPNP, but still no joy with Roon Radio which I use a lot. Maybe I am missing something else. So like you I will stay with the Sonore for the NDS for nowā€¦

1 Like

You already found one solution with upsampling. I have no idea why Roon radio is an issue. As I am on holidays till end of June I canā€˜t reproduce it and find out what is going wrong. Please contact me again in July and I will see if things can be improved.
Best DrCWO