rooUPnP: Finally a Roon Extension for UPnP Streamers

Hi DrCWO, I have successfully used this with my OPPO BDP-105. My only question is should I use Transparent or FLAC 24Bit for UPnP Audio Format. I cannot tell any difference between the quality so is there a technical reason? I am super chuffed with this solution as my OPPO sounds great, I only wish I had come across it sooner.

Hi @Helen_Stephenson ,
the whole thing works like this:
First Roon transcodes its audiostream to Flac.
If you choose ā€šTransparentā€˜ this stream will be directly transferred to your Oppo via UPNP.
If you choose one of the other options the Flac from Roon gets decoded to PCM and the re-encoded to the selected format and bit-depth within rooUPnP.
As the oppo is a decent player accepting the Flac from Roon without any problem I recommend the ā€šTransparentā€˜ setting. Saves some CPU power and probably some energy to save the planet :smile:
Best DrCWO

Thank you for clarifying.
Helen

1 Like

hi DrCWO, I made a mistake ordering a rooUPnP license and I want to ask to refund the purchase, my sincere apologies.

Hi @Daniel_Mercado,
I am sorry that you did not like to run a Raspberry but I understand.
I will ask Sellcodes to refund your license.

Best DrCWO

Hi DrCWO, I arrived home today and my rooUPnP was simply dead. I thought it might be the heat but I tried a ropieee card I had and that worked straight away. Is there any reason why the card would just die? It is scandisk extreme 32gb v30 HC 1 3 A1. The only thing I can see is that is does not appear to be a Class 10.

I reflashed another card and everything is back up and running.

Finally, this is an observation only, transparent mode suffers from a lot of drop outs when using my OPPO BDP-105 whereas FLAC is much more stable.

Regards, Helen

Hi Helen,
regarding your description your SD-Card died, for what reason ever and I saw with a new card anything is fine again.

I wonder why you get dropouts. In my setup I never had problems like this.

• What Pi did you use?
  • Is any WiFi connection involved?

Best DrCWO

Hi DrCWO,

I am using a RPi 4 connect via ethernet through a switch to my router. Also, when I say drop outs I mean that it simply stops playing after an indeterminate number of songs. If I then switch back to Flac it restarts playing.

Regards,

Helen

Ok, now I got it :wink:
PI4 wired is perfect!

Normally this happens this if the sample rate changes from track to trackā€¦ This a known issue I canā€˜t repair. Best you resample all up to 96kHz or 192kHz inside Roon for your device.

Please let me know if this helped.
Best DrCWO

Hello,

I tried rooUPnP on a Raspberry Pi3 model B. My streamer is a 3dlab Transport V1 (192khz, 24bits, Native DSD).

Playing from roon it only work as MP3 44,1 or 48 khz. I assume I tested all configuration possible on rooUPnP without success.

Nevertheless I can stream on my Philips Android TV PCM without problem but it canā€™t accept MP3.

From mConnect I can directly stream on my streamer without problem so I assume the problem is elsewhere. If you have an idea to solve the problem I would be pleased to try it.

Thank you, Nicolas (France)

Hi @Ulysse21,
I see you tested all options and non of them works expect MP3 up to 48kHz.

The reason is that your transport only supports FLAC files but not FLAC streams.
Please let me explain:

There is a difference between a FLAC file and a FLAC stream. FLAC files have the length of the file included in their header information. A FLAC stream cannot have a file length information because itā€™s length is unlimited by concept. Same thing with MP3 but all streamers I know support MP3 streams as this is also the format internet radio stations transmit. As you can use your streamer with FLAC files it seams that it supports FLAC files but not FLAC streams.

I am sorry but some of the elder devices did not implement FLAC streams and Roon sends a FLAC stream to rooUPnP that I forward (in some cases transcoded) to the streamer.

As you see there is the technical reason behind your issue and I canā€™t help you here. Please ask the manufacturer of your streamer. Maybe he has a firmware update that supports FLAC streaming.

Here (file upnp tested devices) you can find a list of devices tested by users and their status regarding FLAC support.

Best DrCWO

Hello DrCWO and thank you for your quick answer.

Is-it the same for PCM? Because it donā€™t work also when I remove FLAC compression.

PCM is quite the same.

PCM files are WAV and they have a header with the length included.
Streaming PCM with no length available, even more players are not able to handle it. In FLAC and MP3 having no file length is part of the spec. ind PCM it is not.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Thank you for your answer DrCWO, hopefully I can stream UPnP using Audirvana without problem, so I assume it use different way to do the job.

Probably it will work. As far as I remember they send single files.

Yes I confirm Audirvana work fine

Hello after the notifying email, I upgraded roonextend 2,3,1 on a roon version 1,8 and I lost my rooUPNP option and lifetime licenceā€¦ in rooextend I have all other selections but not rooUpnp:::Any help ?
*Unfortunately I donā€™t have any USB with old settingsā€¦
Thank you

Please let me know if you use WiFi. rooUPnP is not made for WiFi.

Thank you. You were right ! Only Ethernet connection . Thank you

1 Like

Hallo DrCRW, Iā€™m using Roopnp with my Naim Superuniti and ist is usually working verry well. The only problem is, that Roon is sometimes loosing my licence key and the Naim is Not available. My Roonserver is on a QNAP.
Best regards
Ulf