rooUPnP: Finally a Roon Extension for UPnP Streamers

Hi, any experience in connecting multiple Squeezelite instances to Roopnp? I would like to connect my LMS-based smarthome multi-room solution (https://music-server.net) to Roon and Roopnp sounds like the right solution to achieve this.

Thanks!

Should do :smile:
The only question will be if your streamers accept FLAC streams. They are different from FLAC files. FLAC Files have a length and most players can handle it. FLAC streams have no length as streams are if unlimited length by concept.
I saw a bunch of players having problems with them and only accept MP3.
Best DrCWO

Sounds good. So if I can play FLAC files directly from Logitech MediaServer to the players, it should also work with RooUpnp? Will give it a try!

Not mandatory. If the player accepts FLAC files it is not sure that he also accepts FLAC streams. You must give it a try.

I donā€˜t know if itā€˜s already mentioned in this thread, but I can heavily recommend the Wiim Mini Streamer (roundabout 100ā‚¬ @ Amazon) for use with rooUpnp. This little puck has an optical out which is capable of 192/24, sounds fantastic and has a good software which is heavily updated.

1 Like

This is cool, I will add it to the list of supported devices :wave:
Thanksā€˜ for mentioning.

Devices Tested with rooUPnP

The link to tested UPnP software doesnā€™t work. Can you update it pease. I have tried Plex and Twonky and the software doesnā€™t see it. Cambridge CX-2 is seen, however.

You have to get the test license for $2.9 to make it work :innocent:
Best DrCWO

I bypassed the temporary license and had purchased the full license before posting. Is it a requirement to have purchased the temporary license first? After purchasing the license I activated it in Roon.

It is not a requirement :grinning:
So you have a licensed rooUPnP and trouble with it.
Did you watch my video tutorial on how to correctly setup rooUPnP?
Is yes please give me a detailed description of what you are doing an what donā€˜t work.
Best DrCWO

Is there any ability to run rooUPnP on something other than a Raspberry Pi? I canā€™t seem to find anything indicating so, but the price of them is high right now due to component shortages. Iā€™d love the ability for technical users to run this on a regular Linux install.

Cheers,
Aaron

Driven by the shortage of Raspberry Pis I developed the rooExtend-Box (see preview) that will be offered in the official HiFi market (not DIY) soon by my distributer ATR Audiotrade. This box will be available worldwide sold by ATR and its dealer network.

Regarding other platforms. Please note that I am a one man show! At the moment I have no spare time to invest in any other platform.
For sure I understand your wish but for me it will be a too big effort to offer it and even worth to support it. I guess you will understand that a lot of unskilled people would try to use it to save some $$. This would induce a big amount of support for me stealing my time I better invest in new Roon Extensions.

Best DrCWO

2 Likes

I have installed your RooUPnP extension (with purchased activation), turned on Squeezebox access and configured the RaspberryPi box with your software. Network light is green. The RooPnP in Extensions reports ā€œsearchingā€. In Audio the Squeezebox dialog box reports ā€œSearching for Squeezebox devicesā€. It also says "Make sure your LMS is turned off. I assume that means Logitech Media Server but I donā€™t think I have any but also donā€™t know where to look. I have watched your youtube videos but they donā€™t address this issue of what to do if the device is not found. Is RooExtend interfering?
Any suggestions?

If you really have no Logitech Media Server running please try:

• Restart you Raspberry
  • If you see rooUPnP up and running wait for 1 minute
  • Now turn on your UPnP device
  • It should become visible after a short time in the Settings/Audio

Best DrCWO

Dr. CWO,

Thank you for your response. I followed your directions and a Squeezebox server showed up in Roon-Audio-Squeezebox. It was a Sangean Internet Radio (WFR28). No wonder I didnā€™t think I had Squeezebox installed. I assume that the Sangean Radio is preventing the rooPnP from connecting. So I think Iā€™ll have to kill that connection if I want to use rooUPnP. Is that correct?

Ron Compton

Either kill or disable the server if possibleā€¦

Hi Guys,
I checked my records at Sellcodes and found that some of you still have the test-license of rooUPnP enabled.

The test.license for $2.90 is a recurring one week license.
This means it continues charging you $2.90 until you disable it.

If you forgot to turn off the recurring license after a week of testing, please do so now.

If I could, I would have set it to a week without an auto-repeat, but that option isnā€™t available on Sellcodes.

Best DrCWO

Mine had auto-renewed so Iā€™ve paid twice for the trial. :open_mouth: I bought the lifetime one a few days into the trial.

Iā€™ve revoked the trial licence and put in my lifetime one that I thought was already running.

Thanks for letting us know. It may be worth updating your guide to include this information.

Great product though. Just needs the issue where play stops if the track format has changed :wink:

Please send me the License Key of the Trial and I will refund the double payment if you wish :smiley:

Right after I saw that I updated the information on the Sellcodes page to clarify it.

This is a Roon thing that I canā€™t change BUTā€¦
If you enable up sampling to 96kHz or 192kHz for example there will be no format change any more and so no interruption. Try :+1:

Best DrCWO

Very much appreciated. Iā€™ll send it shortly, just need to logon to get the code.

I can live with the format change idiosyncrasy, I just need to ā€˜nudgeā€™ it onto the next track. I have very few albums with varying track formats. :slightly_smiling_face:

May be handy for me to create an upsample profile for Tidal/Qobuz playlists where format changes are more frequent.
I previously used a Sonore Bridge with my Naim Streamer which didnā€™t have this issue but the sound quality wasnā€™t as good as RooUPnP on a Pi 4. I wasnā€™t expecting this so it isnā€™t expectation bias, indeed I initially used these settings with better SQ, close but on back-to-back comparisons noticeably better.
Roon FLAC - off
RooUPnP - transparent

I then spotted in the thread tha you recommended to use the below settings and these resulted in a further improvement. :grinning:
Roon FLAC - on
RooUPnP - PCM 24

Thanks.

2 Likes