rooUPnP: Finally a Roon Extension for UPnP Streamers

Hi Rob,
Please send me your license key so I can take look in the records.
Best DrCWO

Thanks for clearing up my user error,. :melting_face:

1 Like

Hello DrCWO,
Is there a way to use rooUPnP with a synology nas? Using Docker, for example? That would save me having a Raspberry, knowing that my core is installed on this NAS, which is very fast. Thank you for your reply

Hi @alexis_coutier,
I‘m sorry but there is no such implementation. rooExtend is only available for the Raspberry PI or you can use the rooExtend-Box.

Best DrCWO

I am running a T&A MP1260R Streaming device. This device is able to run UPNP but it is not „ROON-READY“. Right now I am using a squeezebox-device connected via Fiber to the MP1260R.
According to the description ROOUPNP connects a UPNP-device with ROON. But it also says that the device must be ROONREADY!
Question: Can I connect my Streaming device with ROONUPNP???

Hi @Axel_Hammann ,
rooUPnP is exactly made for that. As rooUPnP streams FLAC the only requirement is that your streamer is able to accept FLAC Streams. This is different from FLAC files as FLAC streams have no length.

In my download area there is a file that shows devices already tested with rooUPnP.
If your‘e not sure just get the one week test license to find out if it works. As this license is a subscription be sure to cancel the recurring payments in PayPal after the purchase.

I would be happy for feedback so I hopefully can add T&A to the list :+1:

Best DrCWO

Thank You Claus
Since several years I use a squeezebox to „feed“ the MP1260R with flac-files (24/96). It is connected via Fiber.
Can I connect the streaming client and ROOUPNP via Ethernet?
rgds
Axel

Sure :+1:
UPnP is a Ethernet protocol. So if your UPnP streamer is in the same Ethernet address range as rooExtend you have to make no additional interconnections.

Best DrCWO

So, I can put the ROOExtend somewhere in the house (in the IT-cabinet next to ROON-Server and NAS) without a direct connect to the streaming-client? Of course the Streaming-client is connect via ethernet-

Sure you can :blush:
But if you one day will think about rooDial you have to put it back in the listening room as the Bluetooth antenna has to be close to the rooExtend-Box.

Best DrCWO

Using an Ipad and the remote-control oft the T&A-Amplifier will do.
I am going to order right away.
Delivery to an adress in Switzerland is probably no problem.
regards
Axel
I just orderd the box. I habe there will be no problems with customs!

ATR ships worldwide bu maybe you have to pay tax in Switzerland, I don‘t know.

Best DrCWO

Hallo Carl

1. ROOExtend-device arrived. Looks nice and good packaging.
  2. I had to pay CHF 53.85 for tax (27.95) and handling (25.90) (just to let you know)
  3. Device was found by ROON within seconds (Kind of cryptic name starting with"TV-xxx xxoxx"
  4. My T&A MP1260R was not found.
    5.: After plugging in the network-cable the signal became significantly better!
  5. MP1260R was active in ROON and startet playing
  6. Going up step by step from flac 16/44 to 24/96 to 24/192 I am just listening to a 24/384 flac file
  7. Until now I am fully satisfied!
  8. Congrats for this really nice little box.
    kind regards
    Axel

It‘s a lot of money indeed :cold_sweat: but as you know beyond my influence :blush:

Thanks’ for your positive feedback and I added yout T&A device to the list of working UPnP devices.

Best DrCwO

Noch ein kleiner Hinweis:
Auf Seite 5 des Benutzerhandbuchs ist -wie auch in einer Grafik auf der Homepage - der Anschluss von ROOEXtend an einen „ROONready“ Streamer aufgefĂŒhrt. Der Streamer -wie mein TA MP1260R- ist aber nicht ROON ready. Genau das ist ja der Nutzen der Box: Anschluss eines Streamers, der nicht ROONready ist und durch die Box ready wird.

Danke fĂŒr den Hinweis, werde ich im nĂ€chsten Release des Handbuchs Ă€ndern :grinning:

Das hatte mich nĂ€mlich verwirrt. Ich dachte mein Streamer mĂŒsste ROONready sein, dann wĂ€re aber die Box nutzlos!

1 Like

Axel, du musst den Streamer aber nicht zwangsweise an die Box anschliessen.

Die Box ist mit den zwei Ethernet Ports nichts Anderes als ein Ethernet Switch. Damit hat man, wenn man z.B. nur ein Ethernet Kabel ins Wohnzimmer hat die Chance die Box plus den Streamer zu betreiben ohne dass man einen zusÀtzlichen Switch verbauen muss :grinning:

Carl, null Problem! Im Server-Rack ist eine 24-fach Gigabit-Switch und ein 5-fach 10Gigabit Switch installiert. (Internet hat 10 Gigabit) Im Haus verteilt sind 4 weitere kleine Switches installiert, einer davon an der Stereoanlage. Die drei WLAN-Mesh GerĂ€te sind auch jeweils mit Gigabit-Ethernet zum zentralen Switch verbunden und haben auch noch je vier zusĂ€tzliche RJ45-AnschlĂŒsse. D.h. alle PCs, alle Server, Drucker, Scanner, PV-Wechselrichter, BluRay, TV-Box, Tablets, smartphones hĂ€ngen in einem Netz. Die squeezebox und nun der T&A sind da auch angeschlossen.
Die ROOExtend-Box habe ich einfach mit einem Patchkabel in einen freien Slot des 24-Port Switches eingesteckt: funktioniert! Damit habe ich weniger GerÀte im Wohnzimmer.

Hallo Carl
wenn ich jetzt die Stele finden wĂŒrde wo ich den Lizenz-Code eingeben kann wĂ€re ich glĂŒcklich. Ich habe nichts gefunden wo ich das machen könnte. Noch habe ich 56 Tage Zeit es zu finden.
GrĂŒsse
Axel