rooUPnP: Finally a Roon Extension for UPnP Streamers

Try to start the Raspberry before starting the UPnP Device.

Best DrCWO

I’ve managed the license to work but no way it can find my Marantz Cinema 50 AVR or my Samsung TV. BubbleUPnP or similar software works fine.

Please check the rooExtend-Box manual regarding rooUPnP. There are a lot of hints what can go wrong and how to fix it. For example a running LMS Server or forgot to enable Squeeze Box support

If you can‘t find a solution in the Manual please get back to me.
I own a Samsung TV and I can confirm that this gets detected.

Best DrCWO

Does rooupnp pass meta data to the end point. Will my streamer show track info?

I am sorry but I have to say NO :sleepy:

The reason for that is, that Roon did not stream single files but sends a gapless continuous FLAC audio stream with no interruption. Therefore no metadata will be sent as this is part of the header of single FLAC files.

This also means that rooUPnP sends a FLAC in streaming format not in file format which is a difference. Not all UPnP streamers that are able to decode FLAC file format are able to decode FLAC stream format. Caused by this some elder UPnP devices cannot playback the FLAC stream sent by rooUPnP.

Best DrCWO

Ok thank you for the response. I wonder how audirvana gets past this. In my time using it, I have gapless playback as well as meta data being passed to my devices. I even get album art to devices with video output.

For sure you can have gapless also if streaming FLAC files. A lot of UPnP devices are able to to that. As Roon runs their own RAAT protocol they decided to send one stream uninterrupted by FLAC headers as they offer to get the metadata and artwork via their API.

This is a different concept. They send a FLAC header with the data for bitrate and with for the stream and next send audio data as long as neither bitrate nor width did change. My guess is that his brings some advantage in syncing different playback zones or doing massive DSP as Roon is able for.

Best DrCWO

I wanted to post a note about my experience with RooUpnp and RooExtend. I have an exclusively Denon setup in my house with four receivers and a bunch of HEOS speakers. Generally works well and I’ve been using Airplay and sometimes the HEOS app, but it bugged me that I couldn’t use the full capabilities of the speakers with Roon. Last week, I installed RooExtend and activated RooUpnp on a RP4 that I wasn’t using. Holy cow, the install was easy and it works flawlessly. I’ve been enjoying high resolution music throughout my house all week.

The only change is that I often play on several speakers and I need to use the HEOS app to create speaker groups, and then play Roon to one of the speakers in the group. This provides HEOS synchronization of the music.

Thanks for a great little product!

I am really happy it is useful for you :smiley:

Best DrCWO

I believe that if you are using ROOExtend you have access to the Roon Extension Manager (which was developed by Jan Koudijs Installation · TheAppgineer/roon-extension-manager Wiki · GitHub).

This allows you to select RHEOS as your UPnP to Heos connection. It uses the same underlying application as RooUPnP (an open source program developed by Phillippe philippe44 · GitHub widely used to make UPnP devices available as squeezedevices).

If you use RHEOS you have the same file streaming as with RooUPnP but with RHEOS, HEOS players and groups can be created and synchronized directly as well as creating fixed groups and group volume control. ROON groups are transparently created as HEOS groups.

Players and non fixed groups can also be controlled from the HEOS app.

For more info :GitHub - LINVALE/RHEOS

Warning ROOUPnP and RHEOS may not run happily together, I haven’t tested.

2 Likes

Hi DrCWO,

I have a UPnP compatible receiver that takes native multi channel DSD from dsf files.
Is your rooextend box with UPnP able to transfer mch dsf files from roon, esp. without PCM conversion?

Thanks,
Matthias

Interesting question :+1:t2:
In the setting of the UPNP connected device is an option to code to FLAC or get it native. Getting setting it to native may transport the unchanged DSD stream.

In rooUPnP itself you can select transparent which streams the data without any change to the device.

But I never tested this and therefor don‘t know if Roon really sends the DSD data out or transcoded PCM. You have to try by yourself.

Please get the recurring license for testing it. Might be interesting too for others. As I don‘t have multichannel DSD media nor a device capable of playing this I can‘t figure this out by my own.

Best DrCwO

Does the rooextend box show up as a roon endpoint device? There should be an option for DSD handling with some available options like dCS method, DoP, PCM conversion or native. Can you see which options are available? Don’t have a box, yet.

UPnP devices will show up in Roon as Squeezebox audio devices.

But there is nothing regarding DSD operation.

If you directly connect a USB DAC to the rooExtend-Box it will show up as a Roon device and there you will have all options including DSD for the USB DAC.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Unfortunately, I fooled myself. AVR only accepts stereo dsf files via UPnP or USB stick. Upmixing was activated.
I learned DSD multichannel support with AVRs and streamers over a (direct) connection via HDMI, USB or UPnP/DLNA is by far no standard.

1 Like

Any plans on integrating native multichannel DSD via HDMI output?

Sorry no, this is a niche within a niche :wink:

But it would be a perfect solution for so many in the niche :wink:

LMS streaming doesn’t natively support DSD as the Squeezbox hardware never did, so would not be possible. This plugin relies on LMS streaming for Roon to actually bridge UPnP to Roon and Roon only supports the features of the original Squeezebox hardware not any modifications made after their demise. The community that came about after this added more features to work with the software player Squeezelite they created and added a dsd plugin but this is purely for running LMS server and not this plugin or Roon.

My rooupnp license gets dropped for some reason, and rooupnp powered zones disappear until I go back and re-enter the license. This happens often.

Running 3.2.0 extension manager and 1.2.4 upnp that has several other licensed extensions that all work fine.

Any ideas here?